Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
jkeesey

Default One last warning before my hiatus

I have a warning for everyone who has had there gas tanks sealed with Damon Red Coat sealant. The sealant is made to withstand ethanol but not all the anti ethanol fuel treatments. In particular Startron fuel treatment which is made to remove the ethanol breaks down the sealer and pulls it through the fuel system. I have just witnessed from a friend of mine, he has been using the treatment for about 1 year. The sealer has migrated through the fuel system, encased his vacuum tank fuel pump and coated all his intake valves sticking them open. This has caused pretty labor intensive problems. Now he is replacing all his fuel lines, having the tank opened and blasted again, having his valves redone,having the vacuum tank rebuilt, and the entire combustion chamber checked. On another note I will be taking a hiatus from here for reasons I will not discuss in this post, if you need me send me a pm and I might see it, look me up on the HAMB under the same name, email, or call me.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: One last warning before my hiatus

I can never understand why people would try and use a sealer in their tank. If its rusty or leaking, try a different repair or start looking for another tank. They are still out there. If you have ever seen what it turns into after a few months, I think people would think twice about using it. I had to work on two Harley tanks that were ruined by sealer. I know some have had luck so far but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just my 2 cents.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Tiny

you'll be missed
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi J,

Thanks for your tank sealer tip.

After removing one former gas tank sealer, I looked at other vehicle Forums only to find that even "some" of the new gas tank sealers offered today to counter ethanol gas are failing big time.

Wishing you only the best of sincere good luck with whatever you are encountering at present.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
On another note I will be taking a hiatus from here for reasons I will not discuss in this post, ...
Sorry to hear that!!! If there is a problem I wish you would say something. A problem cannot go away if it is not known. It might just be a misunderstanding.

Please let us know what the problem is so we can help fix it.