Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #201
Carbroke

Default Re: Who Can Diagnose THIS Total Mystery? Win A Prize?

So, without reading the ton and a half since I posted on page 2 or so, what is the verdict?

Has there been a cause found? It looks like folks are still throwing out ideas.

What is the actual cause, and if not known by now, why not? Can't believe 11 pages and no cure.
Carbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #202
Fred K-OR

Was this an actual problem??????
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #203
Growley bear

1) An engine needs three things to run: compression-spark-fuel.

2) A repair cannot be made without first knowing how the part or parts in question work.

3) I think that everything that could repair the problem has been covered at least once here.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #204
lance leblanc

maybe i've just missed it but have you changed to carb? I've seen the question asked more than once but never a reply.
A story related to me about a simular problem was the result of a couple of pin holes in the float that would cause it to fill slowly and then drain after the engine was shut down.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #205
sgwilson904

Sorry for the brief delay. Something "more important" than my Model A problem came up. I know, how can that be, you ask?

Back to take a long test drive tomorrow. I haven't forgotten my promise to keep you all posted.
sgwilson904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #206
sgwilson904

FOLLOW-UP/UPDATE:

Mid-range drive showed no recurrence of this problem but will need to go farther to be sure.

Also, before the latest test drive a "tractor-like" chugging sound along with some louder air sucking noises developed from the engine which appeared to be a blown manifold gasket. We removed the manifold and found that the fiber-style gasket (installed not that long ago when the engine was changed) was in pretty bad shape. We guessed this was used instead of the better metal gasket because the cheaper type come in the kit? Anyway, metal gasket has now solved these problems which we noticed AFTER the primary trouble, so it's not likely THAT was the cause of the sputtering/won't-go problem.

Won't be able to update again for a few days but will not forget my promises to keep you posted so hopefully all will know what WAS the problem, those of you with similar troubles can try THAT fix...and somebody will get the prize they deserve.
sgwilson904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #207
H. L. Chauvin

Your existing manifold to engine fit & your manifold gasket leak could possibly be "the" problem(s) for at least (2) of the engine's cylinders fed by your intake manifold.

1. Remember, everything is great except at caution lights when the engine heats up.

2. The manifold can heat up & expand; & the manifold gasket can move slightly & start leaking increased "air" at the engine's intake port feeding (2) cylinders.

3. Increased "air" can cause an insufficient supply of fuel/air mixture & also too much "air" in the fuel/air mixture.

4. Remember, pulling out the choke helps the missing engine run a little better -- possibly because this adds more "fuel" to the intake's "air" leak.

5. Appears wise to check "flatness" of the combined intake/exhaust manifold surface & install with a more permanent copper manifold gasket, especially near the coast in areas of high humidity.

Not being able to "see" what you have, just one more "guess" to consider.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-07-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #208
gweilbaker

Also remember to re-tighten the manifolds nuts after a few heat cycles just like head nuts.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #209
H. L. Chauvin

"If" an intake manifold leak was "the" problem, the test specified in message #13 would have indicated some plugs were "dry".

Again lack of fuel where it really counts, i.e. at the end of the line where one needs both "spark" & "fuel", "inside" the combustion chamber.

Engine overheating at slower rpms at traffic lights could warrant a slipping fan belt or radiator cleaning attention.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #210
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwilson904 View Post
FOLLOW-UP/UPDATE:

Mid-range drive showed no recurrence of this problem but will need to go farther to be sure.

Also, before the latest test drive a "tractor-like" chugging sound along with some louder air sucking noises developed from the engine which appeared to be a blown manifold gasket. We removed the manifold and found that the fiber-style gasket (installed not that long ago when the engine was changed) was in pretty bad shape. We guessed this was used instead of the better metal gasket because the cheaper type come in the kit? Anyway, metal gasket has now solved these problems which we noticed AFTER the primary trouble, so it's not likely THAT was the cause of the sputtering/won't-go problem.

Won't be able to update again for a few days but will not forget my promises to keep you posted so hopefully all will know what WAS the problem, those of you with similar troubles can try THAT fix...and somebody will get the prize they deserve.
Did you check for "flatness" of the manifold? I understand that sometimes you need to mill down the manifold to assure it is not warped or not flat. Just a comment I have read so I am no expert on this subject.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #211
Double Trouble

Having experienced the same symptoms I would have bet it was a clogged gas cap vent, that's what it turned out to be in my case, BUT, I know a guy who had a similar problem and it turned out to be a mouse nest in his muffler, it would run until the muffler developed enough back pressure to kill the engine and after it sat a while it would start right up again and repeat the process , go figure.
Double Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #212
jimvette59

I think He is keeping this thread going for his own amusement. Ha Ha Ha. JMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4715.JPG (183.2 KB, 58 views)
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #213
H. L. Chauvin

There is a lot of integrity in Mr. sgwilson904's first message; & if one studies the first remark in his first message, one already sees the sincere humility in his plea for assistance; i.e.:

"I'm new, inexperienced and at my wits end trying to resolve an issue that's about ready to make me walk away from my Model A, a '29 pickup."

Many have taken valuable time to share some of their past, unique Model A experiences in trying to help him, whereby he gave most sincere follow-ups of details.

In my humble opinion:

1. Anything invented & successfully produced by the brains of humans can be successfully repaired by the brains of humans.

2. With Mr. sgwilson904's continued progress reports, & all of the "continuing" compassionate responses to his reports presented above, Mr. sgwilson904 will definitely find the "problem(s)" in the not too distant future.

Let's all continue to be courageous -- Friday, February 6, 2013 is a new day!

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-08-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #214
Patrick L.

Seems to me that he found his problem a couple pages ago.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #215
V4F

what was the problem & who won ????
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #216
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
There is a lot of integrity in Mr. sgwilson904's first message; & if one studies the first remark in his first message, one already sees the sincere humility in his plea for assistance; i.e.:

"I'm new, inexperienced and at my wits end trying to resolve an issue that's about ready to make me walk away from my Model A, a '29 pickup."

Many have taken valuable time to share some of their past, unique Model A experiences in trying to help him, whereby he gave most sincere follow-ups of details.

In my humble opinion:

1. Anything invented & successfully produced by the brains of humans can be successfully repaired by the brains of humans.

2. With Mr. sgwilson904's continued progress reports, & all of the "continuing" compassionate responses to his reports presented above, Mr. sgwilson904 will definitely find the "problem(s)" in the not too distant future.

Let's all continue to be courageous -- Friday, February 6, 2013 is a new day!

Today is feb 8 2013
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #217
H. L. Chauvin

Thanks Mitch -- that's a long Friday you noticed -- lasting 36 hours -- next time I'll find my reading glasses prior to typing a message.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #218
Gary WA

Just posted the problem we had as yours had. it seems the filter looked good but was totally plugged with???? see post. check your filter in your carb.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #219
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
I think He is keeping this thread going for his own amusement. Ha Ha Ha. JMHO.
I second this.

BTW you had better tie your generator cover down.(your picture)
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #220
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Whatever became of this?
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote