Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default 40 Ford Raffle Question

Got my tickets the other day and the numbers are in the 4120 range. Wasn't there supposed to be only 4000 sold?
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 40 Ford Raffle Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Got my tickets the other day and the numbers are in the 4120 range. Wasn't there supposed to be only 4000 sold?
Ahh.....OOPS! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
39topless

On the raffle tickets it clearly states that "Winner will be drawn after 4,000 tickets sold". I'm hoping there's an innocent explanation.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
30-9

Ticket drawn after 4,000 - but does it say only 4,000 will be sold or limited to 4,000?

If not then they can sell as many as they want till March 17
Old 03-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #5
TJ

Check with the Foundation. Some tickets went out to regional groups. They may have printed extras to cover the unsold tickets in the hands of regional groups in order to meet the 4000 number.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Check with the Foundation. Some tickets went out to regional groups. They may have printed extras to cover the unsold tickets in the hands of regional groups in order to meet the 4000 number.
True, I haven't thought about that there's probably unsold tickets that didn't get returned.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, The Foundation's website says the tickets are sold out. Quoting here...

"In less than two months, we have sold all 4000 tickets on the '40 Coupe. The drawing of the winning ticket will be held on St. Patrick's Day, March 17th and all visitors to the museum that day after 1pm will be admitted free of charge. The drawing of the winning ticket will take place at 2pm. It will be video taped and posted online. Thanks to everyone who purchased tickets, and especially to Tom and Pam Johnston of CA for donating this fabulous car!"

I have no inside knowledge here, but I'm pretty sure that any tickets that were given in advance to sell have been recalled to fill orders taken at the Foundation. (Even possibly to be destroyed to make sure only 4000 tickets are actually sold.) I think some people who tried to get tickets will get refunds because the tickets went so fast and their orders didn't get in quickly enough.

Good news for someone on St. Patty's Day! Hope it's a 'Barn'er!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 03-05-2016 at 08:50 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Seems like a hard thing to keep track of if they print more than 4000 tickets?
They should have printed only 4000 tickets and those tickets that didn't sell should be returned to the head of the raffle to be resold.
Glad I only bought 2 tickets!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
39topless

Sounds good. Thanks Mr. Very Tangled
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #10
lenmissy

Where can i get the tickets and is it limited to us people.
lenmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenmissy View Post
Where can i get the tickets and is it limited to us people.
Tickets are sold out lenmissy.

I should add that extra tickets were probably printed to compensate for any lost in the mail or damaged in some way. It's like having spare parts for your V-8. Sure as heck if you don't have a certain spare part you will always find you need one at the most inconvenient time.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
keith oh

Yes but raising the Odds by selling more tickets than original advertised amount is a lot different than having a spare part for TJ,s original "V-8". But then, how could we ever doubt a Lottery?? Just an observation.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
EFV8 Museum

Only 4,000 tickets were sold. We had 4,200 tickets printed to be safe, and we are glad we did now! A whole block of 150 tickets went to a person that has fallen off the planet! We gave them plenty of notice to get back to us to no avail. (3 voicemails and 5 emails, the last stating that if we were not contacted within 7 days the tickets would be replaced.) We also had 25 tickets mailed out that were lost in the mail. All 175 of these tickets were replaced with tickets ranging from 4001-4175.
Presidents day really gave us a a double dose of mail that sold out the 3,100 tickets we were selling out of the museum through the mail. We filled these orders with the date stamp on the letter from the post office earliest first.

We then contacted everyone to return all stubs and unsold tickets to the museum. We had $3,000 worth of checks and no tickets to fill them. The tickets returned were then sold by postmark to people who mailed in checks.
EFV8 Museum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV8 Museum View Post
Only 4,000 tickets were sold. We had 4,200 tickets printed to be safe, and we are glad we did now! A whole block of 150 tickets went to a person that has fallen off the planet! We gave them plenty of notice to get back to us to no avail. (3 voicemails and 5 emails, the last stating that if we were not contacted within 7 days the tickets would be replaced.) We also had 25 tickets mailed out that were lost in the mail. All 175 of these tickets were replaced with tickets ranging from 4001-4175.
Presidents day really gave us a a double dose of mail that sold out the 3,100 tickets we were selling out of the museum through the mail. We filled these orders with the date stamp on the letter from the post office earliest first.

We then contacted everyone to return all stubs and unsold tickets to the museum. We had $3,000 worth of checks and no tickets to fill them. The tickets returned were then sold by postmark to people who mailed in checks.
Just wondering... did you get the proper license to sell these? My wife and I "hosted" a raffle many years ago for her non-profit business fund raising efforts. It was then i found out one can't simply "have a raffle".
Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
EFV8 Museum

Yes, the foundation holds a CG-16AR, Annual Raffle License, issued by the Indiana Charitable Gaming Commission. LN#138474 our website, phone # and EIN# are on every ticket or advertising we created for the raffle.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
VeryTangled

[EDIT: Oops, while I was thinking, the Foundation replied....]

Hi Everyone, Kube, again I have no inside info but, when I called, as soon as I heard tickets were available, I placed an order for a couple of books and a contribution to the general fund, as well as some tickets. While checking out, I was asked if the card I used was credit or debit. Credit was a no-no because of the Indiana Charity Gaming rules, I was told. So, from my experience I'd say yes, the Foundation went through the proper channels here. It seems they would easily qualify because of their status as a non-profit foundaton.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
[EDIT: Oops, while I was thinking, the Foundation replied....]

Hi Everyone, Kube, again I have no inside info but, when I called, as soon as I heard tickets were available, I placed an order for a couple of books and a contribution to the general fund, as well as some tickets. While checking out, I was asked if the card I used was credit or debit. Credit was a no-no because of the Indiana Charity Gaming rules, I was told. So, from my experience I'd say yes, the Foundation went through the proper channels here. It seems they would easily qualify because of their status as a non-profit foundaton.
Sounds like a lot of the same hoops we had to jump through. I suppose for good reason but man oh man, it wasn't as easy as some may think to put on a raffle.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #18
EFV8 Museum

A little FYI for everyone. The raffle lasted approximately 6 weeks. Our newletter The Foundation News and the Ford Barn coupled with our social media sites sold three quarters of the tickets in three weeks! There was a week lull and the V-8 Times sold the other quarter in no time flat. We had guys overnighting us checks to be sure they got some!

It has exceeded all of our expectations. We expected to be able to use the 40 as a promotional vehicle for the Spring and had to have all tickets sold before the end of July when our license renews without having to carry it over to our next license. No worrys now.

If we are presented with a car again for a raffle program we are equipped now with the knowledge of how to do it better.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
adileo

I think (and most if not everyone on the Barn would agree) you did a great job and the work you folks do is extremely important now and for especially for future generations.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #20
sanford

Josh and the rest of the folks at the V-8 Museum did an unbelievable job with this raffle. The Foundation absolutely stuck to the rules and conducted this raffle strickly by the books. When Josh asked me to order 4200 tickets, I questioned him. The "extras" were strickly to be used in case we wound up with unsold tickets that were not returned to us. He was wise in that decision, as he explained earlier in this forum. It would've been a shame to lose out on the $175 or so because of the "lost" tickets. And yes, it was a job keeping tabs on every single ticket, but Josh did just that! This was an extremely well-run and successful raffle that raised $40,000 for the Museum. Now, who's ready to donate another super-nice Ford V-8 for our next raffle?
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote