Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Duffy1

Default Re: Interesting trip to Alaska

Here it is Aug 2 and no post on their site. Would be nice to know how these folks are doing.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
Phil

They put a lot of effort in to it just to stop writing. A lot of people were following them. I have even wondered if something really bad happened to them. Hope not.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Kaluvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Never knew that they came through Fairbanks, fortunately there are lots of fine folks here and a vast amount of Model A knowledge and usually parts available to help out fellow travelers.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Hey Darryl...I'm originally from Fairbanks...left many years ago but the rest of the Stone clan is still there...I've been back several times over the last few years.....small world.
Kaluvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
darrylkmc

Kaluvic,

Good to hear from you, not sure if we have met before. I know of several Stone families here in Fairbanks. My family all left out of here years ago, and I guess they didn't leave anything here that they needed to come back for.

Although off to a slow start, we are having a very warm summer here in the interior of Alaska.

"As predicted, the temperature hit 80 degrees at Fairbanks International Airport on Thursday — the official high was 85 degrees — for the 31st day this summer, breaking the old record of 30 days in 1915, 1923 and most recently in 2004." Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

Have a good one.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Bruce,Upstate NY

I'm wondering how they made out with the insert problems in Montana. That was an interesting trip to follow. Still waiting for the last chapter
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
Duffy1

I hope they make it home safely and post some lessons learned as it relates to their cars.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
mhsprecher

I will just add to all the comments. I just started reading this. Quite the adventure and, as many have said, very well written and photographed.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
Fred K-OR

Looks like great trip.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
Benson

If you have not checked this out yet ... try it, it is a good read and MANY "top shelf" photos.

Last edited by Benson; 08-07-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Any update on the trip?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #31
Mike

Still waiting for updates !! Anyone on the BARN know these people or know what happen to them ?

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #32
tpartsman

Unfortunately, the replacement rod bearing inserts received were not the correct ones and the Wentrcek's gave up their trip, rented a car and drove home to Texas. The Supak's finished the trip and have arrived home in Brenham, TX safely.

The broken down Cabriolet was left in West Yellowstone, MT for a few days, but has now been picked up and trailered back to Texas. It was a 3,300 mile round trip to get the car and was done in four days. No more information is available about the car at this time as, it just arrived in Texas late on August, 6th.

tpartsman

Whatever Roads You Take in Life,
Make Sure Some of them are Dirt!
tpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #33
700rpm

Thanks for the update. I just sent an email to them last night asking what had happened; this pretty much answers it. I'm glad to hear it was just a mechanical problem and not a health problem.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
59mgaguy

Hope they didn't pass up[ a lot of thing to see in Fairbanks. I passed my archery test on Creamer's field so I could go moose hunting. Div. of Wildlife HQ is there. I wonder if Bob Hunter is still there? Beutiful country and the largest state in the Union. (AK knows the joke on that one)
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
QGolden

I was in Yellowstone on the 2nd and I think I saw one of these two cars. I took a photo and tried to catch up with the drivers, but lost track of them in the Hot Springs area. Too bad, I wanted to meet them but I did get a photo of the maroon car with the fuel can on the back.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
ctlikon0712

I contacted them and this was the correspondance.

"What happened? Did everyone make it back home OK? Many of us at the Fordbarn.com want to know.. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Alaska
Craig Likon

Many thanks for your e-mail. I am writing the last 2 pages about our trip and hope to have them posted by tomorrow.

We arrived safely after renting a car to drive home, and our friends, the Supaks, made it home safely, also. My husband and a friend went back to Yellowstone a few days after we got home and picked up the car. We weren't home but a few days and then left again to visit our daughter and just got back a few days ago.

The main problem that ended our trip was the babbitt - it broke apart. The car is back at the shop and new babbitt is being poured and other problems are being repaired - not sure at the moment what really went wrong.

It was quite a trip, to say the least. Simon, our dog, was so glad to get home. He ran out in the green grass in the backyard right away, and then trotted upstairs, jumped on the bed, and rolled around in the pillows. He was one happy little dog.

Thank you again for your e-mail.
Ginger Wentrcek

Ginger, glad everyone made it safe, Simon especially. Thanks and I will post this reply to the thread so all will rest assured.
Thanks for the update and the wonderful job documenting your adventure.
Fordially,
Craig Likon"

Last edited by ctlikon0712; 08-20-2013 at 05:28 AM.
ctlikon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #37
WRA

This has been a great thread. I drove from Los Angeles to Anchorage once and was an incredible journey. Was in mid 1980's and the Alcan wasnt as reliable.

Besides the view, one of the most memorable scenes was the full size DC-3 Weathervane in Whitehorse BC. Ive seen it in winter winds and to see a full size plane rotate in the wind is amazing.

Surprised you didnt see the A Roadster in front of Gwennies Alaska Resteraunt in Anchorage. Not sure how long its been there but at least since early 1990's. Summer or winter it just sits...they have a pic on thier web site. Thanks
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
...Surprised you didnt see the A Roadster in front of Gwennies Alaska Resteraunt in Anchorage. Not sure how long its been there but at least since early 1990's. Summer or winter it just sits...they have a pic on thier web site. Thanks
It's a Shay
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #39
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I contacted them and this was the correspondance.

"What happened? Did everyone make it back home OK? Many of us at the Fordbarn.com want to know.. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ghlight=Alaska
Craig Likon

Many thanks for your e-mail. I am writing the last 2 pages about our trip and hope to have them posted by tomorrow.

We arrived safely after renting a car to drive home, and our friends, the Supaks, made it home safely, also. My husband and a friend went back to Yellowstone a few days after we got home and picked up the car. We weren't home but a few days and then left again to visit our daughter and just got back a few days ago.

The main problem that ended our trip was the babbitt - it broke apart. The car is back at the shop and new babbitt is being poured and other problems are being repaired - not sure at the moment what really went wrong.

It was quite a trip, to say the least. Simon, our dog, was so glad to get home. He ran out in the green grass in the backyard right away, and then trotted upstairs, jumped on the bed, and rolled around in the pillows. He was one happy little dog.

Thank you again for your e-mail.
Ginger Wentrcek

Ginger, glad everyone made it safe, Simon especially. Thanks and I will post this reply to the thread so all will rest assured.
Thanks for the update and the wonderful job documenting your adventure.
Fordially,
Craig Likon"

I thought they had inserts, not babbitt, and that is what failed.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #40
ctlikon0712

Carl, I thought it was a Shay in the pic.....