Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2023, 07:04 PM   #1
Gick70

Default 1952 ford f1,239 v8—Engine Paint color ?

what was the original engine paint color ??
Gick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: 1952 ford f1,239 v8—Engine Paint color ?

Green according to http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...0to125late.htm
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:33 PM   #3
1952henry

Get the late Lincoln green from Bill Hirsch. Some use Detroit Diesel Alpine Green, which is close, but not quite right.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:24 PM   #4
52flthed

From Bill hirsch the color is actually called Lincoln mercury Light green. As stated above Alpine green is close but it’s a lot more bluer and minty than the pea green, that’s what I call it. I recently had an engine rebuilder paint with the wrong color. So it’s an easy mistake to make. I’ve never found an actual engine part that had original paint on it. I’m just going off what several experts have told me with many years of restoration experience. Here are some pics of my engine. This is the second engine I’ve painted the first was in the truck this was at least out of the truck.

P.S. the pics are as follows; the two paint color draw downs show Lin. Merc Lt.Green next to Alpine green, this photo captured the color difference as seen. 2nd pic is the Lin. Merc Lt green drawn down next to original color print ads for 52 trucks showing the engines ; the bill hirsch color is shockingly accurate. My take is that illustrators of this era were not casual about these details.

3rd photo shows the newly rebuilt engine painted in the wrong color; Alpine green as identified by the two color draw downs. Last photo shows the engine painted still wet with the bill hirsch lin. Merc Lt green.

Last edited by 52flthed; 06-04-2023 at 10:40 PM.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:27 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52flthed View Post
From Bill hirsch the color is actually called Lincoln mercury Light green. As stated above Alpine green is close but it’s a lot more minty than the pea green, that’s what I call it. I recently had a well known engine rebuilder paint with the wrong color. So it’s an easy mistake to make. I’ve never found an actual engine part that had original paint on it. I’m just going off what several experts have told me with many years of restoration experience. here are some pics of my engine. This is the second engine I’ve painted the first was in the truck this was at least out of the truck.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #6
rotorwrench

I agree on the green. The suppliers green is more of a blue cast than the original. I used that color on one of my Mercury cars but was disappointed with it. They had a green tint on what was left of the original paint.

I was curious about what company has the mentioned alpine green color? It's hard to get correct shades on some colors now days unless a person has the primaries and can mix it themselves.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #7
52flthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I agree on the green. The suppliers green is more of a blue cast than the original. I used that color on one of my Mercury cars but was disappointed with it. They had a green tint on what was left of the original paint.

I was curious about what company has the mentioned alpine green color? It's hard to get correct shades on some colors now days unless a person has the primaries and can mix it themselves.
I think it’s called Detroit Diesel Alpine Green? Anyway a lot of companies sell it. It’s a popular color. I’m a colorist and a painter so this aspect of the hobby personally interests me. I bought it in two places , a spray can of Dupli-color at the local auto parts, and a can of “Motor-Coater”, I bought off Amazon- never heard of it? It’s actually really nice paint! I was just curious about these colors since my engine also has little remnants of paint and they more matched the Alpine Green. Probably from the half a dozen times this motor was rebuilt. But the bill hirsch matches those ads so well that I’m pretty convinced.

Like I said until I find a NOS part stored indoors or somehow a never rebuilt original engine I don’t 100% believe it’s the Bill Hirsch color. But 99.9% it is.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote