Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2022, 03:52 AM   #21
69a

Default Re: No oil pressure on fresh rebuild

I don't think that the vacuum pump idea will work. Post #4 because you will just suck air through the oil pipe in the lifter valley. Post #11 would work. You can put a clear plastic hose in a fitting for the pressure sensor and fill it with oil. Take the plugs out and manually turn the engine back and forwards a couple of turns and see if the oil level changes. That will tell you if the pump is turning.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:55 PM   #22
HopRod

"Did you fail to pack the oil pump with Vaseline or light grease?" Used assembly lube.

robib
What brand camshaft did you use? Just did a rebuild and had no oil pressure after awhile. Turned out it was the gear that is pressed on the rear of the cam for the oil pump. Did not have the proper interference fit and was slipping. It was an Isky cam. Can be checked at the back of the engine, if the engine is not installed. ------ It is a Tatum designed cam ground by Schneider. The drive gear seemed secure when installed.

Automotive Stud
Hope it's not this but I had it happen to me. Idler gear behind the flywheel was installed backwards so it wasn't meshing with the oil pump. Pulled the oil pump and was able to reach the idler with a long screwdriver to see that it was freewheeling, had to pull the motor to correct it.
05-02-2022 05:44 AM---------That is a pretty logical explanation. I hope my problem is just a priming issue, but this makes sense. I'd be pretty upset with myself for making that mistake, but would never happen again.

I have a mechanical Stewart Warner gage that has been verified as working. I am going to pull the plugs, put some oil down the rear oil sensor port again and spin it over with the starter to see if I get any pressure. If none, then out comes the motor and will check the idler gear. If not that, then off comes the oil pan to pull the pump. I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for all the ideas and help. You guys are the best!
HopRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #23
flathead4rd

I had the gear on the cam come loose also. Ended up finally having the gear drilled and a installed a lock pin.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Note: If you can't build oil pressure by cranking the engine over with the plugs out - then don't start it . . . as something is wrong. You don't want to ruin all your bearings due to no oil pressure.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Note: If you can't build oil pressure by cranking the engine over with the plugs out - then don't start it . . . as something is wrong. You don't want to ruin all your bearings due to no oil pressure.
Sage advice:

When I pulled the plugs and cranked over my motor (6V starter in a 12V system), the motor spun over incredibly fast and oil pressure was almost instant.

If you don't get pressure after approx. 5-10 sec, shut 'er down and pull her out. If you don't, I'm afraid you'll just be doing damage.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #26
tubman

I know it's not exactly the same, but I'll post it anyway. I had a '51 Mercury that sat under the stairs in my shop for at least 20 years. I did all the usual stuff (oil in the cylinders, made sure it turned over by hand, ran a compression test) and it looked real good. I got it ready on my run stand and turned it over with the plugs out 3 or 4 times for 10 seconds each; no oil pressure. I was getting concerned, so I removed the line to the mechanical oil pressure gauge. 3 or 4 more 10 second bursts and oil started coming out of the disconnected port. I hooked up the gauge again and another few turns and the oil pressure gauge started to show pressure . I then installed the plugs and the engine started almost immediately and showed good pressure. That was 6 years ago and the engine still runs great and shows good oil pressure (25 psi hot idle and 55 psi going down the road).

I can only surmise that over the long storage period, all of the oil drained out of the system. Why did it take so long to build up? Perhaps there was an airlock or something. All I know was that I was very nervous because it took so long to build pressure.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:15 PM   #27
HopRod

So, I did prime it with a qt of oil, had the plugs removed and cranked it over with the starter and no oil pressure was built up. . I knew then the engine had to come back out of the car. So got to work on that to get access to the rear idler gear. Pulled the cover and what do you know, I had it on backwards! I was relieved to find the issue at this point and gladly accepted that I had made a mistake. There was some wear on the idler gear and the cam gear, but just barely. I cleaned it all up and then used an old electric fuel pump to circulate oil from the oil pan into the oil sending unit port. It worked ok and filled the oil galleys with oil. I also spun the oil pump gear with my finger and it built pressure and spilled out of the rear cam bearing all over the floor.
I drained the oil through a white cloth and viewed any debris after draining. just some small discoloration and white assembly lube. I then pulled the truck pan clean out cover and looked around and all looked OK. Feel pretty good that no harm was done. Will work on reassembly of everything and get this thing fired up.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopRod View Post
So, I did prime it with a qt of oil, had the plugs removed and cranked it over with the starter and no oil pressure was built up. . I knew then the engine had to come back out of the car. So got to work on that to get access to the rear idler gear. Pulled the cover and what do you know, I had it on backwards! I was relieved to find the issue at this point and gladly accepted that I had made a mistake. There was some wear on the idler gear and the cam gear, but just barely. I cleaned it all up and then used an old electric fuel pump to circulate oil from the oil pan into the oil sending unit port. It worked ok and filled the oil galleys with oil. I also spun the oil pump gear with my finger and it built pressure and spilled out of the rear cam bearing all over the floor.
I drained the oil through a white cloth and viewed any debris after draining. just some small discoloration and white assembly lube. I then pulled the truck pan clean out cover and looked around and all looked OK. Feel pretty good that no harm was done. Will work on reassembly of everything and get this thing fired up.

Congrats on sticking to it and figuring out the problem. Very happy to hear that it seems like no damage was done.

Get her wrapped up and back in and please report back once its in, fired up and driving around
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 PM   #29
HopRod

We got the engine back in the car and fired up without incident. Oil pressure was good and no abnormal noises. Got it up to operating temperature twice so far and retorqued the heads each time. One more heat cycle and should be good on the head torque. Then need to set the carbs and timing.
Thanks to all those who replied and helped me along the way.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:14 PM   #30
tomcarman

I love a happy ending!
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #31
Ron_r1959

Is the front plug on a 59A motor just a pipe plug?
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:52 PM   #32
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_r1959 View Post
Is the front plug on a 59A motor just a pipe plug?
No it is a 1/8 npt plug but it has an extended snout on it.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote