Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default 32 Ford Front end Alignment

Took the 32 3Window down to the shop to get front end aligned. Question is this, once the alignment is done how do you correct the steering wheel if it's off center ? The drag link has no adjustment . Was it done by bending the arm on the spindle ? Or is there an adjustment on the steering box to correct this
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
estout81
BANNED

Default Re: 32 Ford Front end Alignment

Don't know about a '32 but, my '48 truck had shims inside the drag link.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
DavidG

If the alignment is done correctly to the original specifications and none of the components affecting the alignment are bent from their original configuration, the steering wheel will line up as intended.

Be aware that there were two different steering wheel positions during the '32 model year. Initially at dead center, one of the steering wheel spokes pointed straight up in order to provide an unobstructed view of the instrument panel. But for drivers short of stature, that spoke interfered with the view through the windshield. The solution was to reconfigure the wheel so that one spoke could be pointed straight down. That gave the best possible view through the windshield.

Early original steering wheels only had one notch in the collar that fit against the end of the steering column shaft which meant that the spoke position was predetermined.
A second notch was added as a running change so that either spoke position could be used. Bob Drake's outstanding reproduction of the '32 steering wheel (no longer available) had the two notches.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Fordors

Without knowing the history of your car is it possible you have a pickup or Station Wagon pitman arm? The pitman arm serrations are clocked differently to accommodate the shorter cowl used on '32 Commercial vehicles, with the Commercial arms stamped with a B instead of the A on Passenger car arms.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

On a 35 with one piece drag link the service bulletins say bend pitman arm

It also possible the steering gear adjustment can be off
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Took the 32 3Window down to the shop to get front end aligned. Question is this, once the alignment is done how do you correct the steering wheel if it's off center ? The drag link has no adjustment . Was it done by bending the arm on the spindle ? Or is there an adjustment on the steering box to correct this
Your "alignment" consisted of setting toe in. Nothing else like castor/camber can be adjusted without bending the axle. Toe in can easily be done at home with a ruler.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

How did aligning the toe-in change the steering wheel position. That should not change the draglink position. If you don't care about keeping it totally orginal can you file the splines to clock the pitman arm like you do when using the f1 steering boxs.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
How did aligning the toe-in change the steering wheel position. That should not change the draglink position. If you don't care about keeping it totally orginal can you file the splines to clock the pitman arm like you do when using the f1 steering boxs.
It didn't change it but it didn't correct it either. It's better than it was . Now the top of the wheel that should be at center is at about the 10:00 position. I was wondering why a new drag link couldn't be fabricated with an adjustable end on it.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Ole Lou

Believe Dennis Lacey makes an adjustable link to correct the problem. Our friend Charles has that setup on his 32
Ole Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
Krylon32

I'm not a concourse restorer and I have a 37 Hudson box with a 34 pittman arm in my 32 PU but I'm very anal about pittman arm and wheel position so I had a local machine shop make me a adjustable drag link rod. I used NOS right and left hand 32/34 ends. I still ended filing the serrations inside the arm to get everything aligned to my satisfaction. Also need to be aware of your steering boxes sweet spot when doing the adjusting.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Old post, but timely. I have not completed an at home front end alignment, but the initial tightening of the drag link threw the wheel off center just slightly.

I'm thinking I need to loosen the drag link, do front end toe in, once set, tighten drag link.

Is that a correct assumption? I have an old Ford alignment manual that I should read before taking this on. Haha!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #12
DavidG

Tightening the drag link should be last, but your alignment manual will likely confirm that.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Tightening the drag link should be last, but your alignment manual will likely confirm that.
Thanks, David. I have the manual, but I didn't read it yet and I'm now realizing I should have. Haha.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 05-16-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote