Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
Newc

Default 'Rebuilders'? Am I tooo Picky?

My latest go around with a 'Rebuilder' of my 90 mph '32 Stewart Warner speedometer- Photo provided of a $190 job!! Broken glass, dirty original face and odometer numbers, and uncleaned/polished bezel. All by a 'Big' name Speedo guy in the Mid-west.
This is the latest of poor quality 'Not as Manufactured ' Rebuilds/repairs. I expected Concours qualities- like anodized carb finishes [not painted], correct parts 91-99, Fuel pumps that have factory type gaskets/diaphrams [ not home cutouts]. Radios/clocks that actually work [advertizes in the V8 Times, and stole the extra 8 tube core]. If not concours quality they better own up to that standard ahead of our jobs. Some rant, Newc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2169.JPG (145.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2170.JPG (165.2 KB, 1071 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2171.JPG (165.0 KB, 250 views)
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 'Rebuilders'? Am I tooo Picky?

Are those "Before and After" pictures?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
DavidG

I'm assuming that they are 'after' pictures given the evidently new green plastic strip for the opening for illumination from the dash light. With respect, neither the face plate (not uncommon rust on the white numbers) nor the bezel (chrome is on its last legs) can be brought back to near new by even the most conscientious rebuilder and perhaps the glass was broken in transit (no excuse, however, as it reflects poor packaging). Likely I can help with those; please send me a p.m.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
petehoovie

"My latest go around with a 'Rebuilder' of my 90 mph '32 Stewart Warner speedometer- Photo provided of a $190 job!!" - Newc

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #5
J Franklin

Maybe this person just rebuilds the mechanicals. Did you two come to any contractual agreement as to what was expected?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
TagMan

Not too picky at all, IMO. I too, would have expected the gauge to be in 'like new' condition, for $190.00. You could pick up a gauge in that condition at a swap meet for under $50.00 I'd expect.

I would go back to him and tell him you are not happy and would like your money refunded. The broken glass lens is inexcusable. I sent a gas globe with two 15" lenses across country and they arrived in excellent condition. The broken lens alone, shows no pride in workmanship or care in handling a customer's property!
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #7
Newc

Well; The lens was already broken. But is there no decal for the face? I have rolls of odometer numbers that stick on. Also most rebuilders will not work on any part NOT Stewart Warner. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:34 PM   #8
Anteek29

Appallingly unprofessional workmanship!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

I want to be fair and would like some clarification.

The lens was broken when sent to the rebuilder, correct? Did he say the $190 would include a new lens or did you assume it would?

Not sure why he didn't reset the odometer. Every rebuilt speedo I've seen goes back to zero.

Is it possible there was a mix up and the unprepared got sent back to you? What was the vendor’s explanation as to what happened? If this his idea of being restored?

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 11-17-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:59 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

Maybe he thought you were a "patina" guy. That really sucks Dale. I'm sorry that happened to you.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Why not talk to the guy and get it straightened out? Seems to me that expectations were out of alignment (probably on both sides) or at the very least maybe not communicated?

I will say that $190 doesn't go too far these days. My guess is that to get a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration will be a lot more than that.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
cas3

I have a small stained glass shop near me that will cut a circle of glass like that for 5 bucks. You do have to be very careful with the bezel, they can be brittle. I also dont understand why the odometer was not turned back, mainly because to properly lube the assembly it needs to come apart. Most of the time I hire someone these days its a disappointment.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Fritz

I don’t know what the standard is, but a few years ago I also had a speedometer rebuilt by a Midwest instrument shop. My rebuild seemed to be only a mechanical rebuild also, and the odometer wasn’t reset. I don’t remember what I paid. But it works. I later found an NOS face plate, and it looks good to me. Definitely a case of expectations not being communicated.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #14
rotorwrench

I don't do the older speedometers like that but I have what I refer to as "refurbished" a number of 1940s/50s Stewart Warner motorcycle speedometers. I don't do it for anyone else since I would never be able to finish my own projects if I did.

Bezels and glasses are available so I made my own rool to roll crimp the bezel back onto the head with a new glass and gaskets. Getting the face plates silk screened is a challenge. I've gotten away with reusing the best parts in my parts piles to get a decent indicator a few times. Cleaning and oiling the internals is easy after the face is off. The mileage and odometer wheels aren't all that easy to restore and resetting them is easier by disassembly that by setting there for hours turning the things back to zero. There are a lot of little pieces there. The wheel drums have to be repainted on some and the decals are sometimes poor quality.

The faces are very thin material so it doesn't take much corrosion to kill them. If they have minimal corrosion then a person can strip them and repaint. Silk screening the indicator markings is the hard part.

Anybody that does this stuff for a living should be up front about what they can do for you. If they aren't then they are just another crook. With folks charging $100 per hour or more then don't expect this stuff to be cheap. The more they have to restore, the more expensive the job is going to get. If they don't do an inspection of the indicator before quoting the price then they may be suspect. I'm sure not near all of the folks that provide these services are crooks but they should be honest with their customers about cost.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-17-2021 at 10:42 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #15
eric huffman

Just had both gauges out of my 39 pickup Refurbished but NOT restored. This entailed a complete cleaning, voltage step-down and repair back to full function as needed. Most of the gauges still were operable I was told. They came back looking just as I request and expected meaning CLEAN and Operable. The cost was close to $500.00 but it was exactly what I asked for and the gauges look like the very originals that they are. It can be harder and more time consuming to renovate instead of restoring IMHO. Restorations can be all shiny and new looking but that can be accomplished by paint cover ups etc. It sounds like a miscommunication to me.
eric huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #16
Karl

I wouldn't be happy if it was mine
However you do get what you pay for - I can't see that at even at $60 an hour that there is any way that this speedo could be brought up to concourse condition in 3 hours . You could probably spend more than that on the dial face alone . I would expect a restorer to contact me and inform me that to get it where I want it is going to cost more than quoted and give me the option to proceed or stop.

I'm having a battle with a clock restorer who 3 months ago charged me $400 to rebuild a Sandoz Vielle Mirror clock. Its returned and has now stopped running- I contacted him and he tells me it will need a full rebuild at $450 and he's to busy to do it for 6 months . I informed him that his invoice was for a full rebuild previously and I'm not paying for it to be done again -He hung up on me.
Luckily I have a few spares and found one that worked perfectly and installed it.'
I'm looking for a new clock restorer !
Old 11-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #17
J Franklin

Small claims court. He's thumbing his nose at you every day you don't!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:36 PM   #18
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Small claims court. He's thumbing his nose at you every day you don't!
This is most likely in a different jurisdiction; probably even in a different state. This will make things difficult at best, and if you do win, how do you collect that size judgement without spending more than the judgement amount?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #19
DavidG

I guess my offer in #3 above isn't of interest.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #20
aussie merc

picky i dont know because i wasnt there so you may have got what you asked for or maybe not always make sure that you put in writing exactly what you want it not only protects you it gives your repairer clear directions and protects them quite often what you think you say is not what the repairer thinks they heard
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote