Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
4port

Default Need to clean NOS Ford cadmium bearings

What works the best for cleaning NOS dirty, oxidized engine bearings.
4port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Need to clean NOS Ford cadmium bearings

The race guys (on modern bearings) often scuff them with a pad, so that might work.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

The first thing to think about is how badly are they oxidized? If they truly are pitted, then I wouldn't run them . . . find other sets. Yes, I know they're expensive and hard to find, but if the bearing surfaces are compromised, then they will build up heat - which is what ruins bearings and journals.

If you believe they are good, then use a fine pad of 3M Scotchbright and lacquer thinner. You should just lightly scuff/polish them - you should not be trying to remove pits due to oxidation. Once I'm done with this, then I use a very fine paint polish (for clear coats) and a cotton rag and hand polish them as much as possible.

If these are rod bearings for full-floaters, then you need to prep both sides. If you're setting up full-floater rods/bearings, then you also need to "tune" the bearings to they are concentric in the rod bores and float between the rods and crankshaft as they should. This involves a big rubber hammer and a block of wood - and knowledge and patience.

If you want me to check them out - drop me a few close-up and in-focus pictures.

Good luck,
B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 03-23-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Lawrie

what I did with the ones in my pile was to clean them with oil and a rag. then oil them up and wrap each one in an oiled paper towel then into the box,real messy to do but I feel better with them stored this way.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Jack E/NJ

Or how about immersing them in a plastic paint can or mason jar filled with oil? Then put a lid on it. Like I do with my saw chains.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
tubman

I have a similar question. I bought a set of NOS 8BA rod bearings. They were in their original boxes, and two had been opened. Whoever did it left a slight finger print on one bearing surface. I put it back in it's original oiled paper and back in the box. I was planning on wiping it lightly with solvent and coating it with assembly lube right before I use it. As far as I can see there are no pits or anything; just a fingerprint like you see on TV. Anyone have an opinion if anything special needs to be done?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have a similar question. I bought a set of NOS 8BA rod bearings. They were in their original boxes, and two had been opened. Whoever did it left a slight finger print on one bearing surface. I put it back in it's original oiled paper and back in the box. I was planning on wiping it lightly with solvent and coating it with assembly lube right before I use it. As far as I can see there are no pits or anything; just a fingerprint like you see on TV. Anyone have an opinion if anything special needs to be done?
You can use the fingerprint to catch the bugger who stole them! Us hotrod guys should write murder mysteries!

Okay, enough of my BS: That won't hurt them a bit, but you should coat them with something to prevent rust. I buy the cans of spray white lithium grease and coat both sides and wrap them in paper towels and then put them in a plastic zip-loc bag. You don't want them banging around into each other - so putting the bag in a box is a good idea as well.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

When using Floating bearings, I like to use, Used ones that measure OK. I have found that under racing conditions the NOS have a tendency to flake, and was one of the reasons we went to full flow oil system along with reducing oil pressure. This all took place over several years, as we learned more about the bottom ends. We also increased the OD of the Rod .001/.002" over stock. Tried to keep the oil pressure below 50 lb max. After a years we could run a season on them. Theses were never balanced and ran Janns Pistons, turning over 5K every night. The interesting thing about this: The club had about 75 cars. one straight 8 Buick, one V8 Cadalic, and one 6 cl Chevy. and over 8 years of racing there were very few engine failures
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote