Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Turdytoo

Default Fresh drums

So you get the drums turned on your project know it will be a while till you use the brakes, what can you use to keep them from rusting that won't cause problems when you do?
Turdytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Robert Dip

Default Re: Fresh drums

If your drums are on the car outside, they may or may not rust at all. If you are concerned, 'rattle can' satin black. Krylon colormaster is the miracle paint, won't burn off your drums in use.( outer part ) The little bit of paint on the lining surface will disappear quickly when used and not affect anything. Next question? Robert
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Turdytoo

Next question, What is the difference between '35 and '40 rear hubs/drums?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
19Fordy

Here's a few 1940 Ford car drum photos that may help. The brake drums and hubs are one integral unit with the threaded studs "swedged" into the drum. The hubs are on the inside of the drum. The last photo is the stock rear hub with the studs and drum removed. You can now buy separate drums and hubs from http://www.mtcarproducts.com/ that do have easy to remove drums because they are not swedged together. Call them and check it out. Can't help with any 35 Ford info.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 04-21-2014 at 11:44 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Robert Dip

And this is a '35 drum....made to mount the wire wheels. Notice that the '35 drum has the raised sections near the stud to support the stock or K-H wire wheels. It's a two level mounting surface. You can use the wire wheels on the '40 - '48 drums, just make sure you use the ring ( Vern Tardel has nice machined ones for this purpose ) to compensate for the different level and makes them safe for mounting on a flat surface. I use 'Right Stuff' to 'glue' the ring on the wire wheels.....this way, they don't fall off the wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003fyo.jpg (36.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Turdytoo

Sooooo.... I have 4 rear hub & drums that look like the '40s but all came off of '35 rear ends and a pair of '47 rears with inboard drums . I have '47 fronts with inboard drums. What do I need to use to run my bent spoke Kelseys?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Robert Dip

Nothing...use any of the 40's drums and just get the ring spacer to put on the K-H wire wheels, like I mentioned before.

19Fordy.....I have on my '32 a set of new MT cast iron drums, and they are a little different than the original '40 in dimension....that is to say that I needed to grind off the casting identification # & letters, and make a thin 1/8" spacer to properly fit the wire wheels. The outer extremity of the wire wheels that sit on the outer portion of the drum did not quite match. Turdytoo....do not worry about this paragraph...unless you buy new MT drums.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Nothing...use any of the 40's drums and just get the ring spacer to put on the K-H wire wheels, like I mentioned before.

19Fordy.....I have on my '32 a set of new MT cast iron drums, and they are a little different than the original '40 in dimension....that is to say that I needed to grind off the casting identification # & letters, and make a thin 1/8" spacer to properly fit the wire wheels. The outer extremity of the wire wheels that sit on the outer portion of the drum did not quite match. Turdytoo....do not worry about this paragraph...unless you buy new MT drums.
Photos below of MT Products parts are just for general informational purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5549 (Small).jpg (38.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6082small.jpg (58.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5419 (Small).jpg (41.0 KB, 20 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
RPM

Good info here!
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Robert Dip

19Fordy...I stand corrected.....the drums that I had to machine are not the MT as your reference photo shows....must be the 'other guys' drum....cheaper ??...not made in the USA ?? This MT drum is fully machined on the exterior, as the ones I have are a rougher casting with raised writings. These are so much better finished....wonder if the step portion of these drums took into consideration the wire wheel dimensions?...