Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #21
Russell Reay

Default Re: Computer on Wheels

I concur with all the bad reviews of the latest electronic add-ons. Most states have outlawed hand-held devices because they are a distraction to the driver, but the default electronics of the vehicles are just as bad. I can't adjust the heater, fan, etc w/o looking at the dash--used to be able to operate by touch alone. I don't use GPS at all. The few times I have tried, I find the screen to be a major distraction, and if you touch the wrong button the wrong way at the wrong time, the screen can be wrong, but you don't discover it until it's too late. Paper maps are never wrong. Before I bought my A, I googled Craig's List frequently for vehicles using search parameters 1930-1990. We need to recognize that the American legal system is the real cause of this problem, not the car makers. Every driver who causes an accident will be represented by a lawyer whose sole mission is to have him exonerated. Every automotive engineer/ team who creates a bad design and the firm that manufactures it will not be held accountable. If they were, the stock price might drop, and stockholders will scream. The solution is to impose requirements that over-burden 99% of the population so that the perps can escape any penalty for their mistakes.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #22
slatgrille

As a former Technology Education teacher, I concur with these sentiments. There is a point where 'high' tech has surpassed the grasp of the average person where it controls you, not the other way around. Making one's life 'easier' is one thing, but we've gotten to the point where we EXPECT these 'improvements' to do it all...like the movie 'WALL-EE' where the people stayed on the couch and everything was done FOR them.

There'd be less distracted driving if people were forced to control the vehicle, i.e. drive it or it doesn't go...manual switches, pedals, etc. Kids don't play anymore unless it's pushing buttons; they don't read unless it's a text; they don't spell but use acronyms; they don't figure out math problems without a calculator....hell, schools can't seem to teach the student without the computer. If there are problems, no one seems to know how to educate the 'old fashioned' way.

My newest vehicle is a 2011 5 speed manual Mazda with 214k on it. I have no intention of buying anything 'modern' again...the on-board tech has gone too far! The Fed. gov't can KMA (acronym) with this mileage tax and where I'm going crap...My F250 is an '03 and my newest jeep is a '79.
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Funny how in 1970 when you walked into your local bank, and an actual human being waited on you, or you bought something somewhere, we never ever heard the term 'identity theft' nor gave it a thought.

But today that is all you hear about. Maybe part of that is a scare tactic to get you to buy 'protection' I dunno.

In the days of the Model A Ford, the only 'protection' you needed was to pay Lucky Luciano extortion $$ so he wouldn't burn your business down or beat you up or put a .45 slug in your back
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #24
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
We're still driving our '98 F-150 and it is a great truck.

It's so old it has a cassette player, no CD player or of course Bluetooth or any of that stuff. When's the last time you saw that!

Naw I'm with you guys I don't need 90% of the gadgets they are putting on vehicles today, and we're paying for that.
heh they are starting to phase out CD players now because they figured out noone uses them anymore. I havent used a CD in at least a decade. Ever since i could put literally all my music onto a tiny USB stick i can plug in the radio i havent touched my CDs. Not entirely sure where they are now that i think about it...
Old 08-20-2021, 09:06 PM   #25
slatgrille

....and I have a collection of vinyl albums of 60's rock PLUS a lot of CD's that I play occassionally. There are no 'liner notes' or band pics on USB sticks. The act of putting a record on the turntable or loading up a CD is akin to manually driving an old car...makes you part of what you're doing. (I admit though...I'm listening to YouTube of Rory Gallagher playing 'Bullfrog Blues' as I type this...).
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:34 AM   #26
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
All I need is my neck-top computer. Maybe this shortage will see some of those "features" dropped from future models and maybe even we start using points and coil ignition again. (I doubt that will happen but.....)
Emissions standards were the original reasons for electronics taking over. The EPA (or whoever) required that vehicles meet emission requirements for something like 80,000 miles without a tune-up. This was because the average Joe would just keep driving as long as he could get the car to start. Fouled plugs? Burned points? Bad condenser? Timing a mile off? Bad plug wires? "It runs, doesn't?" says Joe. The easiest way for manufacturers to comply was to go to electronic ignition by 1975. But good ol' Joe kept driving with a stuck choke, worn jets, leaky needle and seat, stuck metering rods, etc. so electronic fuel injection took over. So you'll never see a return to points or carbs.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Emissions standards were the original reasons for electronics taking over. The EPA (or whoever) required that vehicles meet emission requirements for something like 80,000 miles without a tune-up. This was because the average Joe would just keep driving as long as he could get the car to start. Fouled plugs? Burned points? Bad condenser? Timing a mile off? Bad plug wires? "It runs, doesn't?" says Joe. The easiest way for manufacturers to comply was to go to electronic ignition by 1975. But good ol' Joe kept driving with a stuck choke, worn jets, leaky needle and seat, stuck metering rods, etc. so electronic fuel injection took over. So you'll never see a return to points or carbs.
Electronic ignition and fuel injection are great IMHO, and have given us better fuel mileage.

I just don't need a car that parallel parks, etc. for me.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote