Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Hitchhiker

Default Another new H.A.M.B. guy.

Hey everyone! I wanted to introduce myself. I came from the H.A.M.B. you'll find me there under the same handle. I'm building a 1931 Model A coupe. Yes it's going to be a hot rod. But I want to make it a very "period" car. Iwant to utilize factory assembly techniques. I will be using as many original parts as I can. I would like it to stay very close to it's factory construction and build methods. I will be going as far as to replace the missing wood body structure with more wood. I want it to look like it was built in the late thirties - early forties. From what I understand I have a late 31 standard coupe. I have a 31 A frame. A 36 front and rear axle and juice brakes. I'm still thinking about the engine. It will either be a 4 banger or v8......flathead that is. Anyways here are some pictures. btw I didn't chop it, it was like that when i got it. I'd also like to get a matching restored car one day.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 05-09-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: removed pics
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Another new H.A.M.B. guy.

Wow, .....hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Wow, .....hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Don't like that it's going to be a hot rod? Sorry, I'm not trying to offend. I'm not going to come here and talk all day about my car as it obviously doesn't fit with restored cars and isn't what this site is about. But I do have questions about original build techniques and methods.

I do restored as well....I just thought you would like to see what I was working on.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 05-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sir, I believe you put words in my mouth there 'hiker. I did not say that I did not like it, did I? I was merely commenting on which direction to go since you appear to be uncertain too!! Nice '15 BTW.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I'm not trying to offend either, but in what style is your hot rod going to be built and will this site really help you?
I mean, I thought that the HAMB site was for the Hot Rodders? Even the administrator has said "We will stay focused on restoration over here. Hot rods and customs are for the hamb."
If it will help then please ask away, you will find a wealth of information from some of the finest people that ever restored a Model A.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Sir, I believe you put words in my mouth there 'hiker. I did not say that I did not like it, did I? I was merely commenting on which direction to go since you appear to be uncertain too!! Nice '15 BTW.
thanks, sorry. I was being a little defensive I wasn't quite sure what your post meant. I just don't want to offend you guys. There's a great wealth of knowledge here and I'd like to be a part of it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I'm not trying to offend either, but in what style is your hot rod going to be built and will this site really help you?
I mean, I thought that the HAMB site was for the Hot Rodders? Even the administrator has said "We will stay focused on restoration over here. Hot rods and customs are for the hamb."
If it will help then please ask away, you will find a wealth of information from some of the finest people that ever restored a Model A.
I understand and think this site will be very help full. I won't be filling this place with a bunch of hot rod stuff, But Imagine it's 1946 and you just bought a stock Model A coupe to hot rod. I want a car that accurately represents the era. I want to replicate all of the original ford techniques of construction. to be honest if the car wasn't chopped already I would have left the roof stock... don't let my friends hear that.
Here are some examples. I'd just like mine to look a little more finished.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 05-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
thanks, sorry. I was being a little defensive I wasn't quite sure what your post meant. I just don't want to offend you guys. There's a great wealth of knowledge here and I'd like to be a part of it.

You know, you DO bring up an interesting observation. As the 2413th person to join H.A.M.B. (now a site with over 113,000 registered members!!) I can unequivocally state there is a huge wealth of information at the H.A.M.B. site that can/will accurately answer the very same question(s) you will ever have with regard to original build methods or techniques. The only thing that "might", ...and I repeat MIGHT not be as prevalent there is knowledge with regard to highly accurate restorations or build procedures in how the vehicle was assembled at the factory on a certain date, --however I tend to think THAT is not really the type of information you would be requesting for the type of vehicle you are desiring to build. Therefore, by you admissions that you were a little "defensive" might suggest you knew posting your pictures might create some stress for some members here. So, with the vast amount of accurate info available at H.A.M.B. with regard to the very questions you have with your car, why ask these type of questions on a site such as this one that is trying to cater/focus more to the restored Model A, ...especially when the potential is there to offend some of its membership on this site?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Hitchhiker

Quote:
You know, you DO bring up an interesting observation. As the 2413th person to join H.A.M.B. (now a site with over 113,000 registered members!!) I can unequivocally state there is a huge wealth of information at the H.A.M.B. site that can/will accurately answer the very same question(s) you will ever have with regard to original build methods or techniques. The only thing that "might", ...and I repeat MIGHT not be as prevalent there is knowledge with regard to highly accurate restorations or build procedures in how the vehicle was assembled at the factory on a certain date, --however I tend to think THAT is not really the type of information you would be requesting for the type of vehicle you are desiring to build. Therefore, by you admissions that you were a little "defensive" might suggest you knew posting your pictures might create some stress for some members here. So, with the vast amount of accurate info available at H.A.M.B. with regard to the very questions you have with your car, why ask these type of questions on a site such as this one that is trying to cater/focus more to the restored Model A, ...especially when the potential is there to offend some of its membership on this site?
I do see your point, But I think you over estimate the Hambs abilities. I have not found one post that accurately describes the installation of wood framing or what the correct paint would be for this... etc. While it is a very informative site for building a hot rod. I have not had much luck with finding the type of information I seek. I keep getting the " why do you want to put the wood back in, steel is stronger" or why do you want wood floor boards type of answers. I think the Hamb has become flooded with too many opinions and not enough facts. I take pleasure in the little details. You can't deny that there is MORE experience here on the correct assembly of restored fords than the Hamb.

I'm sorry that the pictures of my car might ruffle some feathers. That was not my intention. but it is what it is. I purposely bought it because it was already in pretty sad shape. I'm sure that most of you will admit that with the roof already being chopped off when I bought it that it makes it pretty much garbage as a candidate for restoration. I never would have bought a nice car to do this with, which I sure would ruffle more feathers here.

I just wanted you all to know my intentions for my car, Instead of trying to fool you that I am a restorer, I'm telling you that I am building a hot rod, and why I want to be a part of the community...I am very interested in the correct procedures and finshes of restoring a stock A. I would LOVE to have a stock one. but that will have to come later in life. I felt it would be better to be honest with what I am building, than lie and say I'm restoring it.....that way you can decide if you want to help me.

Basically I want a restored A turned into a hot rod, But I don't want to destroy a restored A. See my point?

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 05-09-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Basically I want a restored A turned into a hot rod, But I don't want to destroy a restored A. See my point?
Quite honestly, ....NO!

Would it be improper to ask you if you have already asked those two questions at the H.A.M.B. site first to see if you received any responses?

I truly believe if you did, you will find at least one person to correctly answer about the type of paint and how to install wood. (The reason I know this little fact is I am at least one of many that will answer it there.)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Roadster62

I think this discussion is a needed one, many people need/want to know how Ford assembled cars originally, and how to go about "restoring" different areas. My post about installing the D shaped captive nuts is a good example. I enjoy passing along info and advice, I feel it is payback for stuff I've picked up along the way. Bob
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
I think this discussion is a needed one, many people need/want to know how Ford assembled cars originally, and how to go about "restoring" different areas. My post about installing the D shaped captive nuts is a good example. I enjoy passing along info and advice, I feel it is payback for stuff I've picked up along the way. Bob
you sir "get it"
Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
milo

Hey Hitchhiker, hopefully they all are not snobs on here and will let us co-exist on this site and learn from them as I'm sure they could learn and probably have from The hamb site.......
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Rowdy
BANNED

Were not snobs, but not Hotrod builders either. Many are abit thin skinned when it comes to it as it seemed on the Foldbarn we were alwys being aksed for advice on how best to detroy Model A's. That is why Shelly put the Rodder section on there. Many battles were fought before that happened though. Our goals for the most part mirror those of the national clubs MARC and MAFCA. Before Ryan bough the barn, many of us were wanting one of the national clubs to buy the rights to atleast the A pages. Might be best to know some history before critising our veiws as a group. Best of luck to both of you in the projects. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Hey Hitchhiker, hopefully they all are not snobs on here and will let us co-exist on this site and learn from them as I'm sure they could learn and probably have from The hamb site.......
thanks, but I don't think calling them snobs is helpful. I respect what these guys do, it's not easy restoring one of these cars to show room specs. I'm sure in fact it's a lot easier to hot rod one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Were not snobs, but not Hotrod builders either. Many are abit thin skinned when it comes to it as it seemed on the Foldbarn we were alwys being aksed for advice on how best to detroy Model A's. That is why Shelly put the Rodder section on there. Many battles were fought before that happened though. Our goals for the most part mirror those of the national clubs MARC and MAFCA. Before Ryan bough the barn, many of us were wanting one of the national clubs to buy the rights to atleast the A pages. Might be best to know some history before critising our veiws as a group. Best of luck to both of you in the projects. Rod
Rod, I meant no disrespect. I know a lot of you probably think I'm ruining something, But I really don't think many of you would be up for unchopping and restoring this car. I'm not here to name call or talk about how much faster or better a hot rod is or why 100 point restored cars are so awesome. I'm simply here to learn about original assembly techniques and finishes so I can apply them to my current project and hopefully use them again on a good candidate for restoration.

I feel there is a lot more history to this debate, than what is here. I'm sorry to have offended anyone....you too Brent. I hope we can be friends. I will do my best to respect you guys and your culture. Hopefully I can integrate myself in here somewhere as well. thanks.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

I am not at all offended, just wanted to point some things out. One of our biggest fears with this move has been the HAMB guys would come and try to take over as they already knew the tricks and loop holes of the site functions. While I am restoring my car I also help a freind that builds ratrods, but i try to keep my stuff from there off of the A pages. Easier for me to keep things straight. I dabbled with Hotrods and fast cars in the 80's and find my time in the shop well spent no matter what I am working on. Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM005642.jpg (76.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IM005643.jpg (68.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IM005648.jpg (90.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IM005657.jpg (82.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I am not at all offended, just wanted to point some things out. One of our biggest fears with this move has been the HAMB guys would come and try to take over as they already knew the tricks and loop holes of the site functions. While I am restoring my car I also help a freind that builds ratrods, but i try to keep my stuff from there off of the A pages. Easier for me to keep things straight. I dabbled with Hotrods and fast cars in the 80's and find my time in the shop well spent no matter what I am working on. Rod
great looking cars rowdy! I can totally understand the "Fear". I really didn't mean to upset things. I just figured I should be honest about what I am building and why I am here.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Hotrodladycrusr

Hence one of the reason I didn't "intro".

I think alot of the new folks that have register recently would have done so a long time ago if the previous site was more user friendly. I know I've visited here in the past but never hung around for long cuz it was so time consuming to read just one thread.

Anyway, most of the folks that have come over from the HAMB to check the place out know the focus of this board and of course the focus of the HAMB and realize that each place is unique in its own right and don't plan on trying to overlap the two. There is no reason to.

Just like the folks on the HAMB board like buying traditional parts from guys that are "streetrodding" their car, the folks here should like the fact that there will now be more guys on here selling orignial parts off their cars, cars that they are putting tradtional style speed parts on. Get it? The for sale section in the swap meet forums will have more parts for the purists....and that's a positive for this site, right?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
What you are looking to do is called a Restomod. It is a car that has the same outside and inside as originally built but with updated mechanicals as if the car was factory built in receint times.

You should get answers to your questions on the A forum, but not for the mechanical section of your car.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
Rowdy
BANNED

I have worked on all of them, but other than the delivery on my Avatar, none of them are mine. I was just showing I am not closed minded, just keep things seperated. As far as wood, paint and upholsty we likely can help. Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM003727.jpg (46.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #21
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
What you are looking to do is called a Restomod. It is a car that has the same outside and inside as originally built but with updated mechanicals as if the car was factory built in receint times.

You should get answers to your questions on the A forum, but not for the mechanical section of your car.
What I really want is two cars, a restored one and a authentically finished hot rod that uses the same techniques and finishes you would find common when all the parts used to build my car would have been manufactured. This means on all the parts I intend to use on my 1931 model A. All of the parts need to be finished to their factory specification. whether it's the 31 A frame or the 36 front axle or the model B Banger or the 42 Flathead.(not sure which one i'm using) or the wood and paint finish, fasteners, etc. I want it all to be exact. I know it's crazy, but it's what I want. I don't really fit here, but I don't really fit there either.....
Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #22
Roadster62

Hitchhiker, if I can step in with another view maybe others will understand. I think what you are trying to is step back in time and build a Hot Rod as you would if you were alive in 1939 using the parts that were available in 1939 and nothing later.Go with the 4Banger that flathead deal is way overdone IMO.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
tamagrouchy

Hey Hitchhiker. I believe I understand what you are trying to achieve. I see a couple of period Model A hot rods out and they are very cool. Despite the push back from some, since you are doing something right in the middle, these folks can help you with the Model A details. I believe what you're trying to build is a very early hot rod that a guy would've built just before WWII. A bone stock Model A with as many customizing/hop up mods you could do for little or no $$ ? Since you are not cutting anything, no one should get bent outta shape since you are not destroying anything. Best of luck and keep me (and anyone else who's interested) posted with pix and updates. I for one will try to answer any of your questions that I can. I hope the others do the same. Harry K

Last edited by tamagrouchy; 05-10-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling fix
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
What I really want is ...a authentically finished hot rod...

I don't really fit here, but I don't really fit there either.....

Matt, the Jalopy Journal (H.A.M.B) mission statement says they are catering to owners of the traditional hot rod. You fit on that forum exactly as it was intended! A 'hot rod' back in 1939 was NOT a restored car with everything rebuilt back to factory specs using original fasteners. If you chose to go that route, it was not a 'hot rod' any longer but a custom. All of this has been discussed in great lengths there, --and I know for a fact there are knowledgable people at that site who can correctly guide you in all that you are seeking answers to.

Since I am a member of both forums, I am more open-minded with regard to your type of car so I am not offended however I think your timing has opened the box that might need to be addressed by the moderators. Like I mentioned to you privately, comparing Fordbarn and H.A.M.B. forums is very much like a restaurant with a smoking section and a non-smoking section. A non-smoker can get offended if a smoker chooses to smoke a cigarette in their presence when they are in an area reserved for non-smoking. I know I do. Now please don't misunderstand me and construe me as a "snob", --or someone who hates all people that smoke cigarettes. This analogy is shown for you and others to realize that many "restorers" do not dislike "hot rodders" but it does cause discomfort for them when they see a vehicle being modified in a manner such as a 'hot rod'. I believe Ryan has publicly stated that the Fordbarn Model A forum is about Restoration and the H.A.M.B. would be for hot rods & customs. Click HERE and scroll down to post #14 to reference that. Some of us will have dual-membership of both sites where we can openly discuss both types of cars in their respective communities without offense to others, and I think many 'restorers' are on the edge about the new site since this offending issue is apparently becoming more prevalent.

Have you ever noticed how most 'critters' can co-exist peacefully in the forest when they respect each other's territories!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Matt, the Jalopy Journal (H.A.M.B) mission statement says they are catering to owners of the traditional hot rod. You fit on that forum exactly as it was intended! A 'hot rod' back in 1939 was NOT a restored car with everything rebuilt back to factory specs using original fasteners. If you chose to go that route, it was not a 'hot rod' any longer but a custom. All of this has been discussed in great lengths there, --and I know for a fact there are knowledgable people at that site who can correctly guide you in all that you are seeking answers to.

Since I am a member of both forums, I am more open-minded with regard to your type of car so I am not offended however I think your timing has opened the box that might need to be addressed by the moderators. Like I mentioned to you privately, comparing Fordbarn and H.A.M.B. forums is very much like a restaurant with a smoking section and a non-smoking section. A non-smoker can get offended if a smoker chooses to smoke a cigarette in their presence when they are in an area reserved for non-smoking. I know I do. Now please don't misunderstand me and construe me as a "snob", --or someone who hates all people that smoke cigarettes. This analogy is shown for you and others to realize that many "restorers" do not dislike "hot rodders" but it does cause discomfort for them when they see a vehicle being modified in a manner such as a 'hot rod'. I believe Ryan has publicly stated that the Fordbarn Model A forum is about Restoration and the H.A.M.B. would be for hot rods & customs. Click HERE and scroll down to post #14 to reference that. Some of us will have dual-membership of both sites where we can openly discuss both types of cars in their respective communities without offense to others, and I think many 'restorers' are on the edge about the new site since this offending issue is apparently becoming more prevalent.

Have you ever noticed how most 'critters' can co-exist peacefully in the forest when they respect each other's territories!!

Brent at this point you are the one being disrespectful. I'm sorry that your buttons have been pushed. You obviously have a vendetta to settle. Why do you feel the need to chase people off. you may be the 2500 person to join the HAMB....but I post more than you. I will say this one last time. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE INFO I SEEK.

I am more here to search the archives, but...

I WILL be Posting questions that pertain to the fit and finish of a model a and how it applies to what I am building, I will NOT be posting Hot rod modifications.

How is what I am building a custom? it's far from it......

I've already removed the pictures you found offensive. What more do you want? Let's get this out in the open. I'm tired of your PM"s. If you want me to leave. Then stand up, be a man, and say it.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 05-10-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Hitchhiker, if I can step in with another view maybe others will understand. I think what you are trying to is step back in time and build a Hot Rod as you would if you were alive in 1939 using the parts that were available in 1939 and nothing later.Go with the 4Banger that flathead deal is way overdone IMO.
exactly! That's why I want the details to be perfect. The HAMB doesn't cater to those details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagrouchy View Post
Hey Hitchhiker. I believe I understand what you are trying to achieve. I see a couple of period Model A hot rods out and they are very cool. Despite the push back from some, since you are doing something right in the middle, these folks can help you with the Model A details. I believe what you're trying to build is a very early hot rod that a guy would've built just before WWII. A bone stock Model A with as many customizing/hop up mods you could do for little or no $$ ? Since you are not cutting anything, no one should get bent outta shape since you are not destroying anything. Best of luck and keep me (and anyone else who's interested) posted with pix and updates. I for one will try to answer any of your questions that I can. I hope the others do the same. Harry K
Thanks Grouchy that's exactly what I mean. I'm not coming here to show off my hot rod, but to learn how to properly restore an A and then apply those finishes to my hot rod.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Brent at this point you are the one being disrespectful. I'm sorry that your buttons have been pushed. You obviously have a vendetta to settle. Why do you feel the need to chase people off. you may be the 2500 person to join the HAMB....but I post more than you. I will say this one last time. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE INFO I SEEK.

I am more here to search the archives, but...

I WILL be Posting questions that pertain to the fit and finish of a model a and how it applies to what I am building, I will NOT be posting Hot rod modifications.

How is what I am building a custom? it's far from it......

I've already removed the pictures you found offensive. What more do you want? Let's get this out in the open. I'm tired of your PM"s. If you want me to leave. Then stand up, be a man, and say it.

This is unreal...........
First, my intention is not, --nor was it ever for you to leave Matt. I did not say that!! And, I am not chasing you anywhere. Again, you are putting words in my mouth.

Second, I do not have a vendetta nor were my buttons ever pushed, ...even when you falsely accused me of not liking your car.

Third, ...I NEVER said or even indicated that your pictures offended me.

Matt, what I will do, is be a man and stand up to say that if I offended you in anything I said, then I will apologize and offer this as my last response to you here or to your PMs.

You know, ...on second thoughts, ...ask away what your questions are and I will see if I know the answer and can help you. What were you wanting to know about the wood? If I were to post some pictures of wood installation we have done, would that help you?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 05-10-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
George Miller

I have been on ford barn from day one. I have been building stock Model A's since 1970. I have been building hot rod Model A's since 1960. I have built a lot of cars that most guys would have walked by. In fact just finished a hill climb car. It is a four port flat head A engine.
But I like my cars to be stock or a hot rod. Most of the A's I see around here are far from stock. They call them stock but they are not.
My point is some of us on the barn like both.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Some photos for you to see how the wood looks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02424.JPG (141.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02449.JPG (148.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02451.JPG (138.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02455.JPG (152.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02458.JPG (145.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02509.JPG (147.6 KB, 10 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
tamagrouchy

As far as wood goes, this site has some decent pictures. I am in no way endorsing anything, only supplying for reference only.

LINK to FORDWOOD

Might be enough to get you started?

Harry K
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #31
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Some photos for you to see how the wood looks...
thank you. that's actually super help full and exactly what I am looking for. These are by far the best pictures I've seen. do you have one of where the front header panel joins the wood along the sides? Specifically the metal used to join it? Do you know if anyone reproduces these metal parts? what wood was original? would it have been finished or natural? Is it glued anywhere or just bolted? I have tons of other questions, but I will do my searching first...

Also....

I just want to say that I am sorry to everyone here that I offended and as Brent pointed out could be chasing off. That was not my intention. I didn't mean to post something that was bad. I just genuinely thought it was better to let you guys know what I was up to and why I joined.It may be able to be fixed, but I was pretty sure there are other nicer cars to start with. I figured you guys would be happy I didn't take apart someone else's dream to make my own. We all know we've seen restored cars parted to make hot rods. I would never do that. My car was chopped very badly sometime around 20-25 years ago. That's why it's going to be a hot rod and not restored. I've actually started a discussion on the Hamb about unchopping it. That didn't go over well.... When I find "the one" I'll restore that one back to stock....but I've got to learn how to first. I want to know such things as how to feather in the paint on a grill shell and other details. That's why I am here, not to take over and make this a hot rod site.

thanks

Matt
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagrouchy View Post
As far as wood goes, this site has some decent pictures. I am in no way endorsing anything, only supplying for reference only.

LINK to FORDWOOD

Might be enough to get you started?

Harry K
great link thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #33
Rowdy
BANNED

Wood was painted with an ashaltium based paint. Vey flat in apperance. BBQ grill paint closely has the the same finish when dried. lots of slot head wood screws hold most of it together along with variuos lap and toung and groove joints. Rod