Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
12secvx

Default Oil pump rebuild and SBC 6" balancer questions.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine. I am rebuilding my oil pump and was wondering what methods you guys use to get the bushings out and in? I have a adjustable reamer set so that isn't a issue as far as the final fit. I also would like to modify the pump to increase the oil pressure because I'm going to be using a oil filter mounted on the valve cover on my new engine as well as adding a pressurized line directly into the center main. This will be a counter weighted full insert bearing motor so I want some extra insurance. I am already planning on turning the oil pump shaft down to 3/8" between the bushings but what else can I port/drill or modify to make it better? I have a couple different pump housings to choose from a very early 28 and a mid 29.
My next question is I would like to install a balancer on this engine as well I have read all the balancer on model a debates and choose that it can't hurt. My flywheel is lightened as much as it probably can be and still be safe. So who has modified a SBC pulley to fit on a A? What machine work needs to be done to fit one? I'm aware the front crossmember will probably need modified as well. Picture help a ton. Thanks in advance Ben
12secvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Oil pump rebuild and SBC 6" balancer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12secvx View Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine. I am rebuilding my oil pump and was wondering what methods you guys use to get the bushings out and in? I have a adjustable reamer set so that isn't a issue as far as the final fit. I also would like to modify the pump to increase the oil pressure because I'm going to be using a oil filter mounted on the valve cover on my new engine as well as adding a pressurized line directly into the center main. This will be a counter weighted full insert bearing motor so I want some extra insurance. I am already planning on turning the oil pump shaft down to 3/8" between the bushings but what else can I port/drill or modify to make it better? I have a couple different pump housings to choose from a very early 28 and a mid 29.
My next question is I would like to install a balancer on this engine as well I have read all the balancer on model a debates and choose that it can't hurt. My flywheel is lightened as much as it probably can be and still be safe. So who has modified a SBC pulley to fit on a A? What machine work needs to be done to fit one? I'm aware the front crossmember will probably need modified as well. Picture help a ton. Thanks in advance Ben
Here is a pic of the Chev damper I used on one of my engines. This was a big block model because they are heavier. It is about a half hour machining job to adapt it.
No mods to the crank. It definitely works because after a race the damper was warm enough that you didn't want to leave your fingers on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B engine damper and mount.jpg (66.7 KB, 116 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
George Miller

I have used the 6" one. Same as Pete said a small machining job. I think for a long stroke engine like The A, the big one like Pete used would help more.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
12secvx

So on the machining are we taking about just the I.D. And the O.D. Of the snout to fit the A crank? Any modifications needed to the key? Also how did you guys do the pulley mounting just use the crankshaft bolt through both to hold it on?

Last edited by 12secvx; 02-03-2016 at 08:27 AM.
12secvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
nick c

To remove OP bushings, tap the ID of the bushing with a 9/16" tap and place a flat washer across the bottom OP housing and use a 9/16" bolt to pull the bushing out, on the top you will need a piece of 1/2" pipe 1" long drilled out to just over 5/8" to pull the top bushing.
Heres a link with a lot of good info, the only thing he left out was which pulley did he actually use.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t....781649/page-5
nick c
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Heres a link with a lot of good info, the only thing he left out was which pulley did he actually use.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t....781649/page-5
nick c

Yeah, and look at all the people who got pissed off here on Fordbarn because of it ....NOT!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #7
Mark in MT

I built one for a friends hill climber speedster, it is a fluid dampener for a sbc, the smallest one I could find. I used a bolt on pulley on the front with a narrow belt to drive the alternator, no water pump. Had to modify the front motor mount which is a 32 style for clearance, also the pulley would have rubbed on the u bolts had they been there. (Modified front suspension, spring hung in front of crossmember. This motor was bored to 4" and stroked 3/8", ran on circle track at 3500 rpm. I have the drawings in the shop for what I made, not sure if you can fit one into a stock chassis.

Always looking for another opportunity to be wrong.
Mark in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Mikeinnj

Here a link to an article on modifying Model A oil pumps from an archived site formerly called "Bills Bangers" and recently supplied to me by Ford Barn member "forever4", unfortunately the archive has none of the photos originally included in the article

Regarding removing the shaft bushings, : using an old 9/16" coarse tap, tap down to the old bushing as far as the tap will go before it tightens up. Invert the pump and drive the bushing/tap assembly out using the old pump shaft & gear. Repeat this for the opposite end.
Good luck , Mike

https://web.archive.org/web/20120929...hpoilpump.html

Last edited by Mikeinnj; 02-03-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: add info
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote