Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Why Not WHITEWALLS..?

I wonder how many pages this will go? It's right up there with the oil discussions.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #22
29RPU

I like the whitewalls, but, I figure the dressier the car the more likely to have whitewalls. I don't care for them too much on the commercial vehicles. That is just me, but I think they really set off the Phaetons and sedans. They are almost like a nice watch...looks good when all dressed up, but not in your work clothes. I also think color scheme does play a big role as to how good they look.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #23
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopo1939 View Post
Hey Jim, now that's what I call an Attention-Getter". Beautiful car and man those W/W's make and difference........
Thanks Bopo1939.When I put the french gray wheels and whitewalls on her my wife says looks like Bella Pia (cars name,Bella=Italian for beautiful,Pia-P=pain.I=in ,A=arse)) is going out on the town.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #24
John LaVoy

How about white walls on one side and black walls on the other, then you could have the best of both worlds. I like white walls on some cars, but chose to have black walls on our sedan. Of course it is usually the only car at a meet with out a quail or motor meter radiator cap. Like the other posts to each his own. The comment about white on one side black on the other was not original. There was a car in Northern California had black wheels on one side Apple Green on the other! Just thought it might get a laugh on this thread!
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #25
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino
Default Re: Still learning?

Seems to me that the wheels make more difference than the tires. In this case I like the blackwalls best.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #26
Special Coupe Frank

If you're having the car judged, I don't think you have much choice.

Otherwise, heck, they're only tires... an easy thing to change...

I have seen old pictures of all sorts of cars from the 1920's and '30's, some sporting whitewalls, and others with blackwalls.

I 've seen pictures of dozens of model T's with what appear to be 30x3 clincher tires with a narrow whitewall, like we had in the '60s...

White-sidewall tires certainly did exist in 1928-31, with high-end cars wearing double-sided WWW.

So, it's entirely possible that an original owner COULD have outfitted his/her A with WWW tires "back in the day", if that's how they wanted to spend their money...

Not all Ford owners were paupers...

Usually, I'm a "purist", at least on show-cars... but, with regard to my '28 Special Coupe, I'm having some difficulty coming to terms with the "official" factory color pallette.

As-is, my car is painted rattle-can black with red 21" wheels, and All-State WWW tires... ( guess that's a "1950's hot-rod" scheme?). None of that is "correct", but that's how the car came to me...

In my humble opinion, all the Ford body colors are too dark for my tastes ( would prefer a light yellow or blue), and black wheels & tires under black fenders & aprons is "just too much"...

Soooo.... I don't know what I'm going to do yet...

I'm definitely keeping the present WWW tires until they're worn-out... they snazz-up the car a bit, and I think help make it a little more visible to other (distracted) drivers.

I don't think I can live with black tires on black wheels.

For the rest of it... I think I'm leaning towards Dawn Grey Light for the body and Dawn Grey Dark for the belt/mouldings ( inverting Ford's "official" coupe scheme )... might keep the wheels red... we'll see...

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
bobpo

Mine is going to be a MacDonald's Show Car. I'm sure it would not rate real high with a judging team, but then that's not the reason I'm building it. I wanna cruise as an "Old Schooler" should. I worked 2-3 jobs most of my life and now it's time to have FUN.... I'm gettin' Whitewalls...!
I feel like I've had a college course in Whitewalls 101....

This is great, keep it up...
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote