Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Distributor shaft wobble?

I recently made a purchase of parts from a popular Model A supplier so I could could perform a complete rebuild of my distributor. When I received the parts I noticed the ends of the upper and lower shafts were not machined to be centered. When I contacted the supplierand asked the question, I was told "The shafts were designed this way to allow the shafts to float. This helped eliminate excessive bushing wear in the distributor". Is this statement true? Logic tells me that something that is that far off is going to wobble and cause bushing wear. Please help this rookie understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-04-23-10-53-57~2.jpg (6.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-04-23-10-53-51~2.jpg (8.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-04-23-10-53-47~2.jpg (7.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2020-04-23-10-53-33~2.jpg (7.1 KB, 22 views)
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: Distributor shaft wobble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
I recently made a purchase of parts from a popular Model A supplier so I could could perform a complete rebuild of my distributor. When I received the parts I noticed the ends of the upper and lower shafts were not machined to be centered. When I contacted the supplierand asked the question, I was told "The shafts were designed this way to allow the shafts to float. This helped eliminate excessive bushing wear in the distributor". Is this statement true? Logic tells me that something that is that far off is going to wobble and cause bushing wear. Please help this rookie understand.
If your referring to the slot being off center, that is so it can only be installed one way.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
J Franklin

Totally normal.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
Sunnybrook Farm

They all look like that from the oil pump up to the distributor shaft. Probably doesn't get as much slop in it. I have had new ones that were kind of tight especially if the collar is new.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
johnbuckley

Absolutley totally normal ... which begs the question .. why did ford make the slot and tangs off-center..there must be a simple reason ... but I can't think what it can be ! can someone enlighten me
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
MikeK

By having a one-way shaft fit you can take the dizzy out and put it back in without changing the timing so long as you do not loosen/ twist the cam. You can't do that with a later dizzy with multiple gear teeth! Change a head gasket- no need to re-time the dizzy!

The big advantage to all of us now, as antique buffs is that you can have a perfectly adjusted pre-timed dizzy under your seat that you can just drop in in an emergency. You just can't use it on a different A engine without re-timing for that engine.

If you put a long jumper on your spare dizzy attached to a spare coil and a wire from that coil with an alligator clip you could bypass a multitude of problems in an emergency and drive home.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
...why did ford make the slot and tangs off-center..there must be a simple reason ... but I can't think what it can be ! can someone enlighten me
See post #2.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
johnbuckley

[QUOTE=MikeK;1878226] By having a one-way shaft fit you can take the dizzy out and put it back in without changing the timing so long as you do not loosen/ twist the cam. Ah yes of course, Thank you!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #9
burner31

I've found that some of the newer shaft/slots are very tight going on either the shaft into the distributor or the slots mating, don't be afraid to file the shaft diameter or the slot to get a good fit..take your time with a fine file...don't use a grinder, don't over file.
If your parts fit fine and feel fine count your blessings and move on to the next task.
Good luck and good driving
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #10

Thank you all for your help. I understand now how all this goes together, I wasn't aware the offsets were intentional.
I assembled everything and I now have spark! I will try to start as soon as the rain let's up. Cautious though, I will be hand cranking as my starter does not work.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote