Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
jrvariel48

Default Oil Pan Return Lines

The blower I'm installing has oil return lines that were originally plumbed into the intake manifold. Someone here suggested returning them to the oil pan instead. I agree and I'm looking for opinions on where I should plumb them in.
I attached a picture where I would like to put them.
I would appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Joe

jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Oil Pan Return Lines

Looks good to me...adding a piece of metal inside as splashguard preventing crank from throwing oil into the return might be an idee.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
G.M.

I would put them in the deeper part of the pan, just under the dip stick. G.M.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
scooder

I'd put them on the other side of the pan.
Reason being you don't want them pointing at the approaching crank oil mess, put them near where the oil filter return is normally placed. Which is above the oil.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Scooder has it - you want them to be on the downward rotation side of the crank - which on a clockwise rotation is the Drivers. That is why every flathead oil-pan I've seen with a return fitting had it either in the dip-stick mount, or forward of it - about 1/2 way to the front (at that same level).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
jrvariel48

The only problem is the oil lines exit on the passenger side of the blower so I would have to cross over or under the motor. I don't know if I could reverse the oil lines so they return on the drivers side.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
scooder

Camden blower right?
How about a 90 degree fitting on the front plate return line, piped to a T fitting on the rear plate return line, then the other leg of the T fitting plumbed around the back of the engine or blower, run it down the bell where the oil feed line/ oil pressure switch/sender is located, down to the pan rail, along the pan rail to the front drivers side of the pan, 90 degree into the pan?
Should work, and can be done in hard lines for a nice tidy, old looking installation. But make sure it's ok to use horizontal plumbing, they may require all of the return line from the blower to be angled down. So you may not be ok to run parallel with the pan rail, but slope it from the bell area to the pan fitting.
Are the Camden blowers piped with the same size tubing in and out? Or is the out/return line bigger, like the oil plumbing on turbos?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Camden blower right?
How about a 90 degree fitting on the front plate return line, piped to a T fitting on the rear plate return line, then the other leg of the T fitting plumbed around the back of the engine or blower, run it down the bell where the oil feed line/ oil pressure switch/sender is located, down to the pan rail, along the pan rail to the front drivers side of the pan, 90 degree into the pan?
Should work, and can be done in hard lines for a nice tidy, old looking installation. But make sure it's ok to use horizontal plumbing, they may require all of the return line from the blower to be angled down. So you may not be ok to run parallel with the pan rail, but slope it from the bell area to the pan fitting.
Are the Camden blowers piped with the same size tubing in and out? Or is the out/return line bigger, like the oil plumbing on turbos?
Martin.
Sounds easy enough! I'll have to take a look at the blower when I get it back. It's getting checked out to make sure everything's ok.
Thanks, Joe