Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
oldskool

Default new oil pump question

installing a new mellings m19 std oil pump in my 8BA the engine will be sitting for 3 or 4 months ,should i pack the gears with grease ? do they need to be primed?thanks
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Lyndon

Default Re: new oil pump question

oldskool:

Some will say not to pack, some will say pack it with grease or vaseline. In my case, I packed mine with engine re-assembly grease and I didn't have any trouble with it picking up after starting it.

I did however have a lot of trouble with no oil pressure, which was due to a missing oil gallery plug located at the front of the engine behind the cam gear. The first attempt at spinning the engine over on the starter produced exactly 0 oil pressure on my analog oil pressure gauge, yet there was some oil flowing. After installing the plug it gave great pressure.

Good luck!
Lyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Henry/Kokomo

I have used white grease or vaseline with good results. Any lubricant that a) does not contaminate the break-in oil and b) seals the pump, internally, so that oil is drawn in faster when initially cranking. Once oil gets to the pump gears, you're on your way!
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
oldskool

thanks guys

i will pack pump gears with white grease or vasiline,the engine will sit like this untill the fall when i have time to swap it in my 46 pu,thanks again...al
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Newaygo Kid

I packed mine with white grease and started it a year later it still took a bit for the oil pressure to come up. Chris
Newaygo Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Karl Wolf

Grease can plug smaller oil passages, bearings... I am careful what I use... Assembly grease dissolves pretty quick... I think I may have used gear oil once... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
G.M.

Put the pump pick up screen in oil and turn the pump by hand. It wil pump oil in 2 to 4 turns, no need for grease. G.M.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Ronnie

Pour a little stp or oil in the pump body before install spin the pump and you are good to go.

If grease was really needed melling would mention it.Putting in grease requires taking pump apart.

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Bob/Ohio

I coated my pump gears with Assembly Lube when I rebuilt my pump, on my 52 engine. Just before I started it, I poured about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart of oil in the oil galley passage where the pressure gauge would go. If everything is right, you should have oil pressure right now. If I remember right, I got this little trick from someone on the Fordbarn a year or so ago, and it worked for me!
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
OLD...BILL

Cool Re: new oil pump question

Yes Bob, you are right, it was one of the long time engine builder, it was about a funnel he put in the oil pressure gauge port, and I thing he talked about putting one quart of oil in, and working on hooking the engine up in the car, and as he went about the hook-up he would add more oil, if you follow the oil system in the block, crank,all bearings, and on an on, it all gets oiled, in my case it would be two, three days of hookups, and adding oil.. OLD...BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Bob/Ohio

Bill, I forgot to say that it does take a while to get oil in the funnel to go down, and it will only hold so much and that is it. Don't do what I did, I was busy hooking things up and adding oil to the funnel, getting ready to fire the motor on the stand, and forgot to remove the funnel and screw in the gauge! I cranked the motor over a few times and it fired ! I puked about a half a quart of oil out the funnel before I caught my mistake. No harm done, just felt like an idiot, but sometimes you get too excited with a new toy!
Bob/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote