Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
FatDave

Exclamation Rear-end swap question

Hey all,

So, as it happens, I may have an opportunity to swap the the original rear-end of my 1952 Ford F-1 for the completely rebuilt rear-end of a Ford Shoebox which has a much more favorable gear ratio.

I'm wondering if anyone's done anything like this and if it'll go in without much fighting.

This is just being talked about now, so no real measurements have been taken but I'm a little concerned about whether or not the track width would be the same, and whether or not 'd be able to put my F-1 backing plates on the shoebox rear-end as I'd like to keep my freshly painted wheels on the truck, as well as have the same bolt-pattern all the way around.

Anyone?

thx
FD
FatDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
George/Maine

Default Re: Rear-end swap question

I have a 52 f1 and looks to have a 9 inch 5on 5 1/2 wheels.I think its 1972 and older truck ,is the one you would want to use.I think today its much easier use somthing like explorer they are around 3.0 and keep the larger wheels,but they are 5 on 4 1/2.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
denverslim

Be careful about WHICH shoebox rearend you get, FD. There were two. I don't have my book in front of me, but the cars that came without the overdrive had a much lower speed (about 4:10 to one) rear end. They'll cruise about 60, maybe 65 MPH with your flattie.
I have the higher speed rear-end on my shoebox with the overdrive, something more like 375:to one, and it cruises nice and easy at 70 plus MPH. Aint gonna set any time records getting there, but it handles the level freeway at that speed.

I was lucky and able to find an old Hone driveshaft overdrive for my F-2 that is really the best and easiest for the pick-ups. You just split your driveshaft and hang it on a carrier and when engaged the rear shaft turns at 33% faster than the front.
Cats meow, but good luck find ing one. They were aftermarket and kinda popular in the late 70's, early 80s in 4-wheel drive pickups...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Andy

The bolt pattern is different so you would need new wheels or adapters. I would not love adapters on a truck plus they change the track width. I think there are better rear end options. The 9" rears from later trucks would work but I don't know the widths you would need. They typically are 62" or so so are wide. An early 9" bronco would be nice as the width is 57 and has the early bolt pattern. I am going to have one of those for sale.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
FatDave

I'd be curious as to what you'd be asking for such an item.

Thanks for your input, guys... I was mainly inquiring because this one is available and totally fresh. I may still do some measuring and checking & seeing what would happen... I may look into swapping out the gears I have for something better.

Thanks again.
FatDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
0rg0

[QUOTE=denverslim;11398]Be careful about WHICH shoebox rearend you get, FD. There were two. I don't have my book in front of me, but the cars that came without the overdrive had a much lower speed (about 4:10 to one) rear end. They'll cruise about 60, maybe 65 MPH with your flattie.
I have the higher speed rear-end on my shoebox with the overdrive, something more like 375:to one, and it cruises nice and easy at 70 plus MPH. Aint gonna set any time records getting there, but it handles the level freeway at that speed.

Hey Denverslim, he's getting the rear end from me. It's from a non overdrive car with 375's in it.
0rg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
bowtie67

I'm not familiar with the Shoebox rearends or the available ratios. On the other hand, I know that the '57-'72 1/2 ton Ford 9" rearends are a near drop in swap for the '48-'52 F1 trucks. They are the right width, bolt pattern, and the spring perches even line up. You have to modify your driveshaft. The big plus for the 9" swap is the ease in changing gear ratios and the avaliability of the "hogs head" center section. I am building a 9" for my '50 F1. I plan on using a 3.25 or 3.50 gear. Anything higher would kill the flatty.
I have access to several of the '57-'72 truck rearends and get them at a very reasonable price.
For me, I would use the truck 9", it's the easiest solution to make your F1 more roadable at today's highway speeds.
bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote