Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Installing headlight spring clip

I am trying to install new headlight spring clips in the top of my 28 headlight buckets after getting them renickeled. The spring clips are very strong and don't compress easily. The clips look like they are made correctly as compared to the original clips I removed. I can't seem to be able to push them into place. Ron Rude posted a message several months ago about the same topic, however were no helpful responses to his post. Maybe someone has installed the clips since then. I am posting a picture of the clip close to where it should be installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Installing headlight spring clip

Rusty, do the originals still work? Use them if you can. I gave up on the repros. You can get them in there, but it's a tough sell and they don't want to work right once they're in.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
wrndln

Default Re: Installing headlight spring clip

Ray,
You are correct. I tried to install the repro clips for about 30 minutes with no luck. Luckily I saved the original clips that were in pretty decent condition. I installed both of them in a couple minutes. After looking at the repro clips a little more, I found that they are made of heavier metal and the clips wont compress like the originals do. I thought the clips were made by A&L, which usually do an excellent job duplicating original parts. After looking through more of my cache of headlight parts, I discovered some more repro clips that were made from the correct thickness of metal and compress OK. Maybe these are the ones made by A&L. The part number to stay away from is: A 13016. I can't remember where I bought the ill fitting ones. I guess I will toss them. In addition to the metal being to thick, the part that sticks up is slightly higher than the originals. Maybe that wouldn't make any difference, but I will never know as I can't install them. I wonder it they could somehow be installed if the rim would fit on due to the very strong spring pressure, like you mentioned.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote