Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
wrndln

Default 28/29 visor cover

I was getting ready to install the visor cover on the repro visor I have. The repro visor looks very will made and I can't tell it from an original. However, when I slipped the covering over it, it appears the cover it about 1/4 to long on each end. I think the visor covering will have some unsightly wrinkles if I try to install it. It seems to me there are two alternatives, one is to have the visor reworked by an upholstery shop or second, buy another one that hopefully fits better. Does anyone know of a place that sells well fitting visor covers? I checked LeBaron Bonney's website and couldn't find visor covers. Maybe if I called them they could tell me if they sell them. The problem might be that the new cover might be like the one I already have. If anyone has any experience with visor covers for repro visors, please post below.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
spdway1

Default Re: 28/29 visor cover

Rusty,
I know you have checked, but I do believe Lebaron Bonney does sell them. I have seen them in their recent catalog. I am going to need one this summer.
Don Jr.
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Farrell In Vancouver

My 28 repop cover fit worst than OJ's glove. After taking it apart and re stiching it I was still appalled at the overall design. The wife and I made patterns to fit and she sewed it up (with left over long grain roof material) beautifully. It fit well, and required very little glue to hold it to gether on the bottm side. After three years of harsh BC weather it still works great. I would recommend sewing it up yourself.
Cheers!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
wrndln

Farrell,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if my wife or I would be quite as proficient in resowing the visor cover as you or your wife. I am thinking of taking it to an upholstery shop and have them fit it to the visor. I think that is what you did as you fitted it to your visor yourself. I am afraid if I buy another cover, it might be as ill fitting as what I already have. Were you able to stretch the material to fit over the metal visor with just the two pieces of roofing material sowed together along the side and front edges? You didn't have to make additional seams or darts in the material to make it fit well did you?
Thanks
Rusty
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Farrell In Vancouver

It was just two pieces joined with a cloth hem and some have used a 'Piping".
Make the pattern a little tight so you can warm it up to slip it on. then it will look taught when cool, and not sag in the sun.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote