Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
elwood

Default wiring harness, wow..

Anyone know where I can find the best deal on a new wiring harness for a 50 F1 ?
thanks
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
elwood

Default Re: wiring harness, wow..

Well Iv been googling them, very expensive to say the least.
Guess Ill be rewiring it my self, wish me luck..
Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
37 Coupe

I doubt if anyone could beat Tyree Harris's prices,if you are going just for price. I suppose he does your year, I have only bought 37 Ford stuff. A good honest man.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Big Red 51

Smile Re: wiring harness, wow..

I second 37 re Tyree, great guy to deal with. Very helpful and makes sure you get the correct harnesses. I got my '51 PU.'53 V8 and '54 V8 from him. Top quality and brass tips. You are in the $700 to $900 range for a complete and correct set.
Big Red 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Barry-ct

If you have a shop manual, there's a wiring diagram there. It's not 100% complete, but what's not there is in other sections of the manual. If you can solder, you can make a harness. I made my own with modern wire in the correct quage. The diagram shows the colors and the quage to use. I did my truck for around $150 with wire, loom and correct ends. If you remove your old one in one piece ( if that's possible ) and lay it on a 4x8 piece of plywood, you can open it up and make one wire at a time. Time and patience and you do fine. Label every wire end as to what they go to and from and do the same on the new wires as you make them. Buy good material and don't scrimp on it. Sure, it's easier to buy it all done up but I learned how to solder better and correctly. Go for it!!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
elwood

Looks like Ill be making my own,
Tyrone actually only wanted 400 bucks for it, which is good, but I cant afford that now.
The old harness is chopped up and melted together, so I'm goanna make one from scratch, just wiring up what's needed to run the truck.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
Tinker

The new harnesses are very nice. Look correct and are a breeze to install if the right one is delivered. You can make one too, easier if you have of old harness to match. Material adds up, but if time is not a consideration go for it. Proper materials make all the difference. Finding the proper terminals can be interesting, but some of the old ends can be reused. Un solder them. Ive made some secondary wire harnesses and the right cloth wiring,ends, and looms make all the difference in aesthetics and workability. best of luck, stay away from speaker wire!

Last edited by Tinker; 08-05-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Fibber Mcgee

Macs sells the period correct looking wire .60 a foot if you wanted to make it yourself they also list the connectors , they also sell the looms if you want to run your engine compartment wires to look original and then use standard wire for under dash where its not visible. They also sell the harness in sections but its $221 just for main dash harness.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Ken Crans

Sacramento Vintage Ford in Ca. has a nice harness for stock cloth or PVC coated for modern engines. Myself, i would just go with the handmade. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Step-down

Has any one bought a per- cut wire harness from Mac.. My shoebox is in need . I've been looking to buy a fire wall kit wiring harness .
I have nightmare but this winter it's a must .... There a guys on E Bay as well ... I guess if I have the bucks the go to guy is in Rhode Island .....
Step-down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Macs sells the different wire harness assemblies seperately and you will find that after you order and add up all the seperate harnesses you need, it will run maybe just a bit less expensive than Rhode Island Wire.

I have looked around for quality PVC coated wire but it is hard to find in all the colors with tracers plus the different gauges a person needs to wire up a car or truck with a limited amount of accessories. Most of the wire sold these days doesn't hold a candle to what was used in the late 50s up into the 70s when the quality started to change. You used to be able to buy silver plated copper wire but the aircraft type wire is the only stuff available that you can find plated these days. Tinned copper terminals are still available but some are better than others. Crimp type are easier to get but don't always fit and work like the originals.

It's a lot of time and energy to make up a quality electrical harness and still be able to use the original wiring diagram colors. A well built harness should last a lifetime if the vehicle is well kept from the ravages of time and the elements.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
jack orchard

if you don't care about the "factory OEM look", you car buy a 8 circuit fuse panel from speedway for $13. get a wiring diagram and go to it. stock F1 only had 2 circuit breakers. buy lite switch and ignition switch as necessary. these are very simple trucks. Get wire from Summit or Speedway. I personally dont care about the color of wires, as long as they are the right size for the load, so i only use about 4 colors. i solder and shrinktube every connection and then use high quality electrical tape to cover and protect the harnesses. they look good when done this way. much better than factory F1. just something to consider...jack
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
elwood

Hi Jack, Thats what Im going to do.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
jack orchard

total cost is about $150 including switches. i prefer hi-temp wire from Summit. i also crimp AND solder AND shrinktube every connector. I also use a male-female connector to wire the dash gauges and lites. nice if you ever want to pull it out later. take your time, do a little planning, and pay attention to detail. you will have a quality result. best of luck,jack
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
jim1932

For what it's worth, I just got my harness from Tyree for my 32 tudor. Looks great and has the diagram with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (145.1 KB, 35 views)
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
rotorwrench

Aircraft systems mostly only use one color of wire (white). It's kind of like Henry Fords use of black on the model T. The wires are numbered every six inches by a special machine. When I have to do repairs, I have a little machine that prints the wire numbers onto a shrink sleave that is installed on each end of the wire in order to ID the circuit.

If you are going to a 12-volt system, you won't need the larger gauges of wire that 6-volt required. You can drop the size one full gauge from the 6-volt stuff. If the wire is 16-gauge you can go to 18-gauge etc. The large 14 & 12 gauge wires are for main feed & charging systems on 6-volt vehicles. The larger the current flow requirement the larger the wire gauge that's needed. Most of these old vehicles were 35-amp max. If you go to an alternator that can put out 45 to 65-amps you may need larger main feed & charging system wires (more like what 6-volt size was) depending on the accessories you use.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Bill S

What is Tyree Harris web address?
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote