Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Phaeton/tudor rear body blocks

I found a picture in the judging guidelines that shows phaeton and tudor rear body blocks. I need a pair of rear body block to complete the body block set for my 29 phaeton. The diagram gives a couple of dimension, but not all. My question is: Is the lower body block (short one) the one used on 28/29 tudors and phaetons? The guideline don't state much except there was a change in mid 31. One would assume that the shorter blocks were used for all previous tudor/phaeton rear body blocks before mid 31. Does anyone know if this is correct? I would like to get the height of the and width of the rear blocks to make a pair to complete my body block set. If you know about or have rear body blocks for tudor or phaetons (I believe they are the same), would you please post the information or PM me.
Thanks,
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Randy in ca

Default Re: Phaeton/tudor rear body blocks

For sure it was the shorter blocks that were used on the earlier models. This is also stated in the text above, following the last diagram: ".....(and beginning) in July 1931 on Tudors and Phaetons a longer body block was installed at the rear body mount position."

I have a set of repro blocks I can measure if you want - no idea who they were made by or how correct the sizes may be.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Aerocraft

The shorter block were used early. The length allowed cracking to occur in the subframe which was resolved by using the longer block. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Arlen

I just took the longer block that comes in the kit and cut it shorter.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
wrndln

Arlen,
You could do the that and it would work, except I don't have any rear blocks. I have accumulated the front three pairs of blocks. I have some blocks that look similar to the second from the rear, but Les Andrew's book shows that block with a deeper notch in it. Maybe what I have will work. No one has responded to the post I made a couple of days ago about that block (second set from the rear). I suppose there just aren't that many phaeton around. I kind of hate to spend $40 plus shipping for a whole set of body blocks when I have most of the blocks. A fellow Fordbarner, Randy in ca was going to measure one of his rear blocks and send the dimensions to me. Both blocks (second from rear and rear) look quite easy to make.
Rusty Nelson
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
wrndln

I want to publicly thank "Randy in ca" for the excellent pictures and dimensions of the rear body blocks I am missing in the set for my 29 phaeton. I can now make them with his help. The pictures are excellent and the dimensions professionally added.
Thanks much Randy in ca
Rusty Nelson
Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
aztudor

Rusty,
I saw your thread about tudor body blocks, and I also need to make the rear body blocks for my 30 Tudor. Would you be able to send me or post the info you have gotten from "Randy in ca" concerning the dimensions.
It would be much appreciated.

thanks
aztudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
wrndln

aztudor,
I sent you a PM about the body blocks. I need your email address to send the drawing to you.
Rusty