Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #41
mngreen

Default Re: Miller / Cragar Date Code? Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Sounds like WE owe guys like Cooper/Brierley/Winfield, et. al,. a debt of gratitude for their pioneering and passing on banger improvements for our touring engines, as well as race engine, eh !
I just fired off and runin a B that is a combo of all those guys contributions. It runs like a cat does from a greyhound

Be careful that it doesn't twist something stock... off ! Do you know bore/stroke #s ?
Sorry, don't know the numbers, but I would assume that most bore/stroke numbers for Cragars on 'B' blocks are the same, more or less. I would venture to guess I get somewhere between 6 to 7 CR based merely on 105~110 psi cylinder compression testing.

Yes, I agree with you about the passing down of banger information. While I never met Mr. Cooper, I have had an occasion to borrow one of Jim Brierley's prized stromberg jet wrenches which he so graciously loaned me some time ago!

I always tell interested people at car shows that my setup is like this:

The race engine wants to go-Go-GOO, but the rest of the Model A drive train says No-No-No!

Needless to say, I am very accomplished at double-clutching the crash box! I usually cruise comfortably at 50mph. One time I got it going just under 80 with the thing screaming bloody murder! Wouldn't try that again....
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #42
midgetracer

Hey Hardtimes,
There is no markings on the head other than the casting number and the Ni-Cr. I used the head bolts which came with the head. The head came with the intake, carb and distributor stand (which I used) and an exhaust manifold extension whic I did not use. I got a cam ground by Jim Brierley and built a B engine . I put the engine in a 30 A Coupe with a B transmission. My sons and I hauled it to Gold Beach OR where one son lived. We cruised that area and loaded it up and hauled it to Oceanside CA where we spent a couple days crusing Highway 1. Next step was a trip to Wendover Utah (not speed week) and blew a lot of salt all over the coupe. It was a fun adventure that I won't soon forget. If you would like to see a video my youngest son put together, go to ShaneReetz.com/Reetz-tales/
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #43
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Hey Hardtimes,
There is no markings on the head other than the casting number and the Ni-Cr. I used the head bolts which came with the head. The head came with the intake, carb and distributor stand (which I used) and an exhaust manifold extension whic I did not use. I got a cam ground by Jim Brierley and built a B engine . I put the engine in a 30 A Coupe with a B transmission. My sons and I hauled it to Gold Beach OR where one son lived. We cruised that area and loaded it up and hauled it to Oceanside CA where we spent a couple days crusing Highway 1. Next step was a trip to Wendover Utah (not speed week) and blew a lot of salt all over the coupe. It was a fun adventure that I won't soon forget. If you would like to see a video my youngest son put together, go to ShaneReetz.com/Reetz-tales/
Your picture that shows the casting #50079-E and Ni Cr is really good and clear. You certainly do not have the large cast in A , which Cargar added to the original Scholfield tooling. Your head is without doubt an original Scholfield casting , circa 1930 !
Thanks for sharing your use of your Scholfield powered B Coupe in Calif !
Should have all the power that you would ever need to make that coupe zip along. Any pictures for us ? WE all love pictures !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #44
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Hey Hardtimes,
That's a great video of a wonderful trip of a lifetime. Unfortunately, the fire in Big Sur, which is still uncontained, has changed the coastline.

Wish you had shown the motor in greater detail.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #45
midgetracer

More Pictures as requested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oregon 2010 052.jpg (51.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Oregon 2010 055.jpg (62.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Oregon 2010 054.jpg (62.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Oregon 2010 063.jpg (39.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 PM   #46
midgetracer

The coupe with the Miller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110703-untitled-1-190.jpg (71.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #47
aonemarine

Threads like this just make me so...so jealous!! Maybe one day I will get my hands one.
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #48
denis4x4

Just found the photo of the original CRAGAR valve cover on the right and the Roy Creel reproduction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1071.jpg (43.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-009S.JPG (49.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #49
Jim Brierley

I don't know anything about the Denver guy. F.A.S.T. bought one of the last ones he ever built. It had unusably weak valve springs and the push rod holes were not drilled all the way through. It was eventually run, with no problems. I've heard he did have some casting flaws but he sold quite a few of them. Steve Serr bought his patterns but ended up making entirely new ones.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #50
Jim Brierley

Cragars, not the early slope side, were known for cracking in the top-center of the head, made worse by guys milling too much off them. All require a LOT of SPARK ADVANCE to run really well. The newer Serr-Miller has a better combustion chamber and does not have this problem, at least as far as I know?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #51
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Cragars, not the early slope side, were known for cracking in the top-center of the head, made worse by guys milling too much off them. All require a LOT of SPARK ADVANCE to run really well. The newer Serr-Miller has a better combustion chamber and does not have this problem, at least as far as I know?
Hey Jim,
Just curious.
When you say, FAST got one of last Denver Co OHV heads...are you meaning Moser or who ? Would like to see/examine/pictures of that head.

Also, curious about WHY slope side (first original edition Miller/Scholfield OHV Head) didn't crack from HEAT , as it had less/diminished cooling on plug side ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-24-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: .....
Old 08-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #52
Jim Brierley

This was before Mosher took the reins. We bought it and raffled it off as a money raiser. Winner was owner of a Model A store in Orange County, since passed away. I have no idea where it is now. The slope-sides had more iron in them, Cragars had a couple of thin spots.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #53
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
This was before Mosher took the reins. We bought it and raffled it off as a money raiser. Winner was owner of a Model A store in Orange County, since passed away. I have no idea where it is now. The slope-sides had more iron in them, Cragars had a couple of thin spots.
Hey Jim,
Thanks, you're a living 'history' book on this stuff !
Are you aware of anyone else who has a slope side. I'm thinking that not many were manufactured.

Curious IF the slopeside has the casting # 50079-e and NI Cr cast in, like the Scholfield and Cragar ? Can you say ?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #54
Jim Brierley

Roy Creel has one, I've heard about 80 were built???