Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #21
AnthonyG

Default Re: '35, need electric fan help

Hi Brian, I wish I could fit the 15.5 in fan, 4" more on the dia. is 40% more fan. Pretty sure it's over heating, as you indicate I do hear it boiling in the radiator while expelling the coolant from the overflow tube. Block was checked for clear water path, cracks etc., prior to build as part of the cert. to make sure it was a good block. On flat ground the car did fine while moving. The last hill prior to my driveway is a long steep grade ( 2 miles ) got up the hill and into the driveway when I saw the steam, shut it down and went to the front to listen to the radiator which is when I heard it boiling. Not much traffic on the drive so I didn't idle much. I let it cool down completely and then fired it up and let it idle to see if it would over heat in that scenario and it did after about 20 minutes. Lazer thermometer sounds expensive, where would one get it from? How much $ approx also?
Thx for taking the time to think about it.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #22
alan

according to automotive engineers at 35 mph you do not need a fan at all as there is suffcient airflow to cool water in rad-as to fan the bigger and the lower on the rad is where it needs to be--have a friend with a 35 pu-8BA with the stock 8BA fan but an aluminum rad designed to be further in to the grill area for room and the rad neck comes back into the engine compartment
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #23
gmc1941

Questions. What is the distance from the radiator to the fan blade, should be 1/2-3/4.
It would work better if you had a fan shroud instead of a electric fan, electric fans have a tendency to restrict air flow. If your boiling water your not disapating any heat. I hope you don't but I think you have more than one problem. Good Luck!

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #24
AnthonyG

Allen, I do agree, that's my problem with regard to the location of the fan. I probably should have gone with the 8BA front of motor config. with the distributor moved up to the top of the motor allowing the fan to be both larger and more centrally located (on it's own pulley) on the rad. With the fan on the Alternator it keeps the fan very high on the rad just under the rad. tank overhang leaving a limited area between the tank and the crab dist. config I used. The ability of movement at 35 mph to cool regardless of fan I agree also. That I believe is considering a flat run with limited load on the engine. That last long hill I believe without good fan assist and not going 35 mph ( as it was a test ride I was probably only doing 10 mph up the hill ) did it.
Thx
Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
AnthonyG

gmc1941, fan is approx 1/2" at the top and probably 1" at the bottom of fan. I like the idea of a shroud but it would probably have to be fabricated?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #26
Old Ford Addict

I recall Walker (I think) sells an inexpensive plastic shroud that you cut you’re own round fan hole in.
You could put that on and see what happens for a few bucks.
Then
If that solves it, pull it off and use it for a pattern to make a real one
Old Ford Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #27
expavr

"It would work better if you had a fan shroud instead of a electric fan, electric fans have a tendency to restrict air flow." ???????????
I'm using a 3500 CFM electric puller fan with shroud to cool a supercharged 500+ HP hemi engine. The constant operating temperature whether idling in traffic or on the freeway is 170*-180*. That is possible because the fan will pull up to 3500 CFM thru the radiator no matter what the engine's RPM is. If the constant operating temperature is any indication I see no evidence that the fan is restricting air flow at higher vehicle speeds.
I would agree that before you make the move to an electric fan you check out the other less expensive options, but if they don't pan out don't be afraid to take advantage of an electric fan. A side benefit is that they don't rob engine HP to perform their function. They will require a 20 amp electrical circuit.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #28
Tony, NY

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive infrared thermometer. I have one and it is very useful.
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ing-60725.html
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #29
coupe5w36

I may as well add my 2c worth. I'm running an 8BA in my '36. Radiator has original top & bottom tanks but a 5-row core. No fan on the engine, 160 deg thermostats with an extra 1/8 inch bleed hole. Two electric fans mounted one above the other on the front of the core (virtually invisible unless you put your eyeball directly onto the grille) operated by an off/on switch (I keep an eye on the temp gauge) and a homemade rubber "seal" between the top of the grille and the rad top tank. I drive the car daily in all temperature ranges and rarely turn the fans on. When I do however, the temp rise halts and after 5 or so minutes it slowly begins to drop again. I usually switch the fan on if the temp reaches 185 - 190 & I look like being stuck in traffic. Like I said, I rarely need to use them.
By the way, congrats on your first drive, the car looks great & even with the above-mentioned hassles there's nothing like that first time out!
coupe5w36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #30
AnthonyG

Brian, it is boiling steaming, but from info in this thread I am checking other things on the engine to alleviate the problem. New high flow pumps have good flow, put 160 stats in, and am now checking into timing. All suggestions from this thread.
Will report back when solved.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #31
Brian

I'm thinking you have compression leaking into coolant. Have you retorqued heads? Your other thread about rough running could well be a symptom of compression leak[s]. These cylinder heads need to be retorqued after heating/cooling cycles until they hold torque, as the gaskets continue to 'settle'. There is a way to check coolant for byproducts of combustion....
I maintain that a fan is only neccessary for idling and low speeds, once airflow is passing through radiator, courteousy of moving down the road, the fan becomes redundant.

Last edited by Brian; 04-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #32
AnthonyG

Thx for all the good suggestions, started working on a few already and the time to overheat at an idle went from 20 minutes to almost double that. I was running no stats and Terpu of ( Tim's Speed Shop ) on the H.A.M.B. suggested that the coolant was running through the circuit too fast without cooling enough and suggested restrictors to neck down the flow to 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch. Found a couple of bronze bearings the right size and it helped. I will be re-torquing head bolts tomorrow. Will report back.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #33
AnthonyG

Thx coupe5w36, first time out even with the prob's was a gas after working all winter on it.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #34
G.M.

Take the restrictors out and fix the problem. Your water is backing out the over flow tube and you are running low on water. Look down in the top tank and I'll bet you don't have an inch of water over the radiator tubes. You have a 22 quart system not an 18 quart one. Install Skips 3 lb valve on the bottom end of the over flow tube. This or a 4 lb pressure WORKING pressure cap on radiators with the over flow in the radiator fill neck stops the water lose. The pressure cap or 3 lb valve allows the water to be forced through the system which improves cooling. Skips high volume pumps which double the flow of water through the system provide an average of 25 degrees cooling improvement as posted by many users right here on this site. Look it up in past posts. More water in the system, more circulation of water and more air through the radiator are the key to better cooling. Improve any one and the cooling improves, improve all 3 and the cooling is perfect. I have a 39 P/U that has been run over 2 hours at a fast idle on a day over 100 degrees outside. It never got to 180 and if I increased the RPMs a little the temperature came down. The 39 P/U has Skips pumps, 6 bladed industrial fan and a shroud. Your small fan will NEVER cool your engine in hot weather at slow speeds or in stop and go traffic. I'm not into electric fans but I guess if fan planning is not figured out when installing engines it may be required. When driving above 30 or 35 MPH the fan has no cooling effect. The forced air from the forward motion is what cools the water. If car is driven directly into the wind on a warm day at 45 to 50 MPH it will run about 10 degrees cooler than if you have the wind from the rear even though the engine should be working a little harder going into the wind. If you listen to people like the one that recommended the restrictors you will still be on here next year trying to solve this problem. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRESSURE VALVE 2.jpg (18.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #35
AnthonyG

Fabricated a temp. shroud with galvanized sheet metal I had around from some old ducts. Seemed to do the trick. Ran car at idle for 2 hours stayed below 180. Will be. Did check out Walker polymer shrouds and am going to buy one with their help in finding the right one as my config. as stated is a little different.

Also did re-torque head bolts, retarded the timing a bit.

Took it out on the road second time with no issues. Waxed it up yesterday and today and naturally started rainy here and will be raining till Thurs. Willl be showing it off then. Here's a couple of Pic's waxed up. Took Grill off in anticipation of needing the push e-fan but will be putting it back as I am pretty confident I won't need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4292.jpg (69.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 4295.jpg (73.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 4294.jpg (30.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #36
VeryTangled

Hi All, great thread, sorry for the issues Tony.

Nobody has mentioned the three 'splash pans' that mount between the body and engine that help duct the air. Everyone just throws them away. Just sayin'.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #37
AnthonyG

JeffH, yep your right I'm sure. I took the one under the steering box off, kept it but couldn't get my headers on with it in place. I cut it but was careful where I did and a 2 or 3" Tig or Mig will restore it. That was the only one besides the the large splash pan under the radiator? Where is the third?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #38
G.M.

If you don't have a pressure cap you still need the 3 lb valve. G.M.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #39
VeryTangled

Tony, Like the one under the steering, there was one on the passenger side almost just like it. The third is the one you mentioned under the nose/radiator.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #40
AnthonyG

GM, not sure what radiator cap I have. It was supplied by Brassworks and I don't see any identifiers on it. I rechecked my invoice and it doesn't say either. I'll have to call them and find out. Per your last post, I checked the water after the last event and there was water about 3/4" up on the d-side hose tube. No more eruptions as I said even running at idle for 2 hours as you said you did with your pickup. If I find out it's not a 4lb cap I'll get the valve. Where did you get yours, I went to the site you provided For Collector and looked all through their stuff and didn't find it?