Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
40fordpu

Default Wiring Newbie

Came across my wiring for my 1940 ford pickup in a box...just like the rest of the parts for my truck. I have a wiring diagram I bought but I have heard that wiring components sold by guys like carpenter and drake come with a diagram that says x wire goes with x component...maybe I am a newb but does anyone have those wiring diagrams by those guys. Can you post them??? Thanks
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: Wiring Newbie

don't know whether his will help, but here's a wiring diagram for a '40 car....from MacVP's website.. maybe the wire colors match??....Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...ing1940std.jpg
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
40fordpu

Thanks Mike. I have that diagram and am struggling with it. I consider myself a smart guy too..
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
TonyM

When I bought all of my wiring harness from Narangansette they sent me several great drawings they made themselves. They are big fold out and I have no way to scan them. Mine are for 1937. Hope you get it figured.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Terry,OH

There are several issues when replacing a cars wiring harness. Such as: how does the harness get from point to point or routing, the color of the wires on the different terminals. It does help to have the diagram supplied by the harness Mfg. if you don't have them ask the Mfg for them. if they don't have any don't buy from them again but all is not lost. Do you have basic electrical skills and can use a Ohmmeter? If you don't have the talent I would suggest you get help from someone that does.
It is best to start simple such as the rear of the car, replace both the black and green wires that come out of the tail lights, do one at a time. If your missing parts needed contact Tyree Harris. Once the tail light wiring is tested good then start working forward by running the new harness next to the old and connecting black wires to black and green to green, once the old harness is disconnected and the new tail light harness is installed and again tested good then remove the old harness. Once you get into the cab things can't be done as above due to space restrictions, so before removing make your own diagrams showing routing and numbers of wires on each terminal.
I have some old 40 Mfg diagrams send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you, they may help.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
jim1932

I am sure yours is more complicated than my 32, but I basically laid the wire harness out on the floor and then bit by bit identified the wires to the diagram. Label the connections on your diagram with unique numbers 1- whatever. Take some masking or painters tape and label each wire in the harness as you figure out what they go to. You will find several easy to ID, like taillights and headlights... the more you label the easier is gets. You will find yourself kinda road mapping (identifying wires by when they drop out of the harness).
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Tinker

Every reproduction cloth harness (macs,snyders,sacromento) I've used are color coded correctly to the oem harness. I use vanpelts and ford manuals for the diagrams. Maybe I got lucky with the harnesses being correct.

Also, I check the new harness to the old while in the vehicle, then take lots of pictures before removing the old harness. I like to keep the old harness till it's rewired for reference.

I like wiring, well except under the dash. If I was closer I would drop by and help you. Best of luck!

Last edited by Tinker; 04-17-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
40fordpu

Thanks guys. Problem is I got my wiring out of a box, not off the truck. Just can't replace what I have, trying to use what I have. I can see all the colors on the wiring but not sure what I have is actually even correct. Thanks for your responses though. Anyone else have pics/docs let me know. Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Tinker

I looked through some of my books for 32-41 fords for more of a 3d diagram. Nothing for the truck, only for the 40's passenger car. Same as the other one on vanpelts and google. sorry, but might help.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
waterboychuck

Here's the one for my 1948 Ford pickup 6 cylinder. These are the first two pages. If it works out I'll send you the last two pages.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1948 wiring diagram0001.pdf (527.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf wiring diagram page 10001.pdf (691.1 KB, 14 views)
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
38 coupe

I recently rewired my 53 sedan. The harness wires all matched the colors of the original harness. The wiring diagram in the old Ford literature for the car matched the harness. The wiring diagrams that came with the wires did not always match the harness.

What you need is some pictures of a 40 or 41 pickup with the wiring shown. Hopefully someone here can help you with that.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote