Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
wrndln

Default Footrest question

I have a nice newly replated original footrest that I need to install a rubber insert into. I got several exact reproduction rubber inserts from Doc Kalinka. However, I tried to push them into the opening in the metal footrest with no luck. I am hoping someone on Fordbarn has successfully installed rubber inserts into footrests. I was thinking of putting the rubber into boiling water or in the oven (temperature??) for a while to hopefully soften the rubber to make it easier to install. Maybe a rubber lubricant would help. I don't want to ruin the inserts as the ones I bought from Doc are the last he has. Any help would be appreciated.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
kwisor

Default Re: Footrest question

Try soap and water or a light coat of oil may help
kevin
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Forker

No experience here...but I wonder if heating the footrest would expand it just enough to let it squeeze and also allow it to melt and cool with a tighter fit? Not sure of it would damage the pad from the heat when you tried to squeeze it into a the hot footrest...possibly a combination of a non-flammable lubricant and heat?
george
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Rusty, I cannot tell if that is an Early V-8 or a repro but the originals are a tad larger in diameter in the recess. An easy way to tell the V-8 is the stem is a little longer. As for installation, heat the urethane piece you got from Doc in a microwave for 20-30 seconds to make it pliable but remember you need to cement that in so be careful and not use something on the urethane that would counteract the cement glue.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Aok

A little off topic but I can not figure the purpose for the foot rest
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Dan Partain

Rusty, I put the rubber piece at an angle at the bottom, as you have it on the table, and then worked around the edge with a regular flat screwdriver. I was able to push the rubber down inside a little at a time (the width of the screwdriver blade) as I worked around the perimeter. When it was all in I supported the base of the foot rest in my vise and bopped it once with my rubber mallet. I would have glued it, but at the time I wasn't sure if it would even go in that way. After it was in it was very tight so I left well enough alone.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
J Franklin

Aok, the footrest helps you ease on the gas and not start out from stops like a bucking bronc also it does as it is called and allows your leg to rest as you are driving. Without it would be like sitting in a chair with out a back, after a while you would tire out.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Fred K-OR

Aok, if you drive over a ruff area you will see the need for the foot rest. If you do not have it, your foot will be pushing and letting up on the gas as you go along. Also J Franklin has another good reason for it.

You do need to adjust it for your way of driving. That is how high or low do you need it to have you foot rest on the gas the way it would work best for you.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
luckyal

I used WD 40 and they slipped on with very little effort.
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Aok

I guess I need to drive some more to see the need for foot rest as has been explained. It seems to be too far away to be useful when driving but right now I have the upper floor out as it was hanging up the clutch pedal.
I had the car about a year but not much driving last do to engine problems. New engine in now so plan to get a lot more road time this year.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The bottom edge goes into the recess so if you were to take a little off the bottom, round it off a little, it may slip in easier.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
A little off topic but I can not figure the purpose for the foot rest
To make the hole in your front carpet enormous instead of just big enough for the gas pedal shaft alone.

I removed the foot rest from my car and ordered the new front carpeting without the ginormous hole in it, then made a small hole for just the gas pedal. Now, it's NICE! The footrest will not be going back in the car. It's in a plastic bag of "extra" parts for the car, and there it will remain.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
antiquepa

Did you turn it inside out, lay on top of piece and roll it over, try it, this is how I put the ball on the wishbone, it just might work here.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepa View Post
Did you turn it inside out, lay on top of piece and roll it over, try it, this is how I put the ball on the wishbone, it just might work here.
But, this is a solid INSERT, not a cover.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
antiquepa

Sorry, thought it was a cover, I have no clue, did you contact the vender, maybe they can give you some help. Good luck, if you find a way, let us know!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
Kurt in NJ

I have made several "tools" for pushing rubber into smaller holes out of old alarm speakers ---the kind used in car alarms, in the center is a tapered aluminum cone, cut it off at the diameter that fits inside the metal part ---on some parts that take a lot of fforce to push through i will reinforce it with bondo in a can ---by making a hole in the bottom of a small can, pouring bondo in the space between the cone and can to support the thin cone ---then lube the rubber and push it into the smaller hole, hold the rubber in place and pull off the tool ---works good for suspension bushings, and mounts that have to be forced in.

I like having the footrest, it puts me in driving "A" mode, sort of a rolling twisting motion instead of the modern up-down --makes it easy to have smooth pedal control no matter how rough of a road
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
Donvito

Don't stab your finger trying to push it in! Drill a hole into a piece of wood, so you have something to hold the metal piece.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote