Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
wrndln

Default Service brake shaft bushings

I am about ready to complete the rebuilding of the service brake shaft for my car. The shaft ends are built back up and dressed down to firmly fit the bushings. I am using the original style bushings that have an impregnated cloth like material inside them. My question is: Should I use some type of lubricant to make the bushings move more easily and provide a little protection from wear on the material - like a little grease?
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Service brake shaft bushings

No, they were not lubricated so they do not attract dirt. If you put oil or grease on them you will get. I added some graphite to the original bushings I used on mine.

Also keep in mind they do not need to be super tight. A slight amount of play is taken out by the brake set up. They should not allow the shaft to bind, they must move freely.

A comment or two on the shafts and bushings.

I was surprise to find that the shafts are not always worn. I have several that have little or no wear. So it may pay to look around a bit used shafts.
The replacement bushings made of a solid material is not the best idea. The original bushings are designed to hold the shaft in place and not allow them to rattle.
When looking at shafts at flea markets feel the bushings. Ones with a small amount of play may have unworn shafts and may be useable as they are. If you feel enough of them you will understand what I mean.

A final comment, the nasty greasy stuff is usually the nicest metal underneath.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote