Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Wiring the 36

I'm finishing up wiring the 36 woodie. Does the dash light switch have a use other than turning the dash lights out when the headlights are on? Looks to me like the dash lights only turn on when the lights are on.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
flatheadfan

Default Re: Wiring the 36

If you stay with the factory layout you will only have dash lights when the lights are on and the dash switch is pulled out. Instead of this I disconnected the blue with black tracer wire that goes to the dash lights and ran a wire from the light switch over to the main board on the firewall. This allows me to use the dash lights without having to rely on the headlights.

Given the outrageous price these light switches are getting on epay, I am surprised that no one is reproducing them ('35-'37 are the same). They are simple and uncomplicated. They shouldn't be that difficult to make. I mentioned this twice to Bob Drake (in person) and got no response.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Terry,OH

35 and 36 are different and operate reverse of each other.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
If you stay with the factory layout you will only have dash lights when the lights are on and the dash switch is pulled out. Instead of this I disconnected the blue with black tracer wire that goes to the dash lights and ran a wire from the light switch over to the main board on the firewall. This allows me to use the dash lights without having to rely on the headlights.

Given the outrageous price these light switches are getting on epay, I am surprised that no one is reproducing them ('35-'37 are the same). They are simple and uncomplicated. They shouldn't be that difficult to make. I mentioned this twice to Bob Drake (in person) and got no response.

Tom
I'm thinking of bypassing the switch so they stay on when the headlights are on only. I have an original switch.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Wltr_Mitty

Listen to Terry. If you have a '36 switch, then by "default" with the switch pushed in your dash lights should go on with the headlights. You pull the switch out to kill the dash lights.

There are times when driving my '36 at night that the dash lights create an annoying glare on the flat glass windows. No reason why it shouldn't be wired per Henry's wishes. If someone has installed a '35 switch, then it must be pulled out with the headlights on to see the gages at night. That's a '35 only feature. '36 & '37 switches work the same way.

PM me if you have a '35 switch. Maybe we can work out a trade.
Wltr_Mitty is offline   Reply With Quote