Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Setting the score record straight

I continue to get emails and phone calls from folks that noticed the drop in my scores from Oshkosh to Marquette and think that something 'funny' was going on.

It is a little embarrasing for me, but to set the record straight, I received a score of 491 at Oshkosh, but only 483 at Marquette. I was quite distracted on Wednesday morning as the keys to the truck had 'dissapeared' and i was in a panic when I was filling out my windshield placard. We eventually located the keys and got the truck in the building, but I had listed the build date as December '31( my widebed pickup build date) rather than December '30. It was my own fault, and no 'funny' stuff' occured in either judging or scoring.

A very nice idea was made to provide our score sheets the night of the awards dinner, so I was able to look at my scores and with the help of two of the judges, we reviewed my score sheets and determined that I could have received an additional 11.2 points if I had correctly written the build date. We also discovered a very clear recording error that would have amounted to 2.4 additional points. That would have given me a score right up there with Bill Edstrom, at 496.6. It seemed to me that all the scores were somewhat higher at Marquette, but across the board, a good job by both groups.

I posted this only as an explanation. I am happy with how both meets went, no complaints and would do it all over again, this is a great hobby. Jump in!

I would also like to apologize to all those folks that helped me work on the truck between Oshkosh and Marquette for this 'bone head' move that resulted in the lower score.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 07-01-2012 at 08:46 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Fred
BANNED

Default Re: Setting the score record straight

I would have thought one of the JUDGES would have noticed that something was wrong & questioned some one, because there are just two many changes between those dates..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Jim Mason

judges are judges, not restorers or fixers of errors. We go buy what is presented, not what should be written. If you say it's a July 28, sport coupe then your 31 cabbie is judged as a july 28 sport coupe.
I've not judged in several years, but I remember judging and undercarriage that had a couple cotter pin inserted but only partially spread. I was so tempted to spread them and not take the points, but knew I couldn't. I've also heard that many years ago a headlight rim being 'slightly out of location' and the judge giving it a twist to correct. The NOS lens fell out and was barely caught before hitting the front bumper arm. Moral of the story, we judge whats there, not what should be there, and we make no attempt at correction. Congrats to Will on the great vehicle, he's a real asset.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
dean from bozeman

Larry Sadowski, the head of judging at the last few MARC meets, states quite clearly during the judges meeting that we are to judge a vehicle according to what is written on the windshield placard. He then gives an off the wall example to stress that we are to judge the vehicle exactly as it is described by the owner on the placard.

I made the mistake of writing down the wrong body style number for an original '29 Fordor that I had entered in fine point. It was my only experience in fine point. My mistake wasn't as costly as Will's but I bring it up to support the idea that mistakes are made on the placard.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
700rpm

I made the mistake (for me) of having my car judged some 30 years ago, just after it was restored and when judging was not so critical. But it was just the kinds of experiences described above that made me decide that judging was not the aspect of the hobby that was the most enjoyable for me. I certainly applaud those individuals who have the dedication and interest and skills to present a high-point car, and I enjoy seeing them at meets and competitions. But I just don't have what it takes to play that part of the game.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Fred
BANNED

OK, Fine.. I dont want to start a war here, but in that case ONLY 11 points ??.. Wrong Cowl, Carb, fuel line, Fan, & many more..
Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
dean from bozeman

To quote Will, 'It was my own fault, and no 'funny' stuff' occured...'.

Will, you are the man. You have accepted full responsibility for the placard error. In a day when so many want to blame others or to condemn others...Will, you stand tall. You have my respect. I am proud to say that you are my friend.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Will your vehicle is a winner no matter what was written and a champion of this hobby and restores everywhere. My hat goes off to you for this and for everything you do!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
OK, Fine.. I dont want to start a war here, but in that case ONLY 11 points ??.. Wrong Cowl, Carb, fuel line, Fan, & many more..
maybe some judges realized there was a written error and judged it as a Dec '30 while other judges judged by what was written on the card and judged as a Dec '31.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
maybe some judges realized there was a written error and judged it as a Dec '30 while other judges judged by what was written on the card and judged as a Dec '31.
That is my point 100%
.. Nothing against the truck.. Just how it was judged...And YES I have been there done that...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
RockHillWill

Fred:

It's cool that you have an interest in this post. Having said that you 'have been there and done that', would you consider being a judge once again? This hobby can use folks with an opinion to actually participate.

The single best thing that could be done to preserve the historicly correct preservation of american history is to have committed, knowledgeable judges available to give more folks the confidence to prepare a car for judging.

It was noticeable, particularly at Marquette, that some of the better judges did not bother to show up. We did get our score sheets right away (a great idea) at Marquette. The written notes indicated some things that I would consider reviewing, but most noteable were the notes that indicated there were some folks lacking in specific knowledge relative to the area that they were judging. But, to be fair, they judged all the cars similarly. The better the judges, the more you can learn.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 07-03-2012 at 06:08 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
peters180a/170b

MR. MOON here!!!!I think it suckS !!!! Out of DUE RESPECT of a Model "A done VERY WELL , And RESPECT TO WILL..... A person who did his homework very well , long hours , money, time , 10 "DAYS" at Bill Sturm shop to get it right for Bill !!![ ouch been there done that trip] in all ,,me only being a A.A.C.A. National judge [only 43 credits] I would of being a TEAM CAPTAIN would of corrected the date issue. What are we dealing here. MR.Will took off how many days , miles,GAS ! to cover 2 Model "A Meets and to such a call. B.S i don't care what so call rules.... Maybe he made a mistake going to that meet!!!! I picked going to a A.A.C.A Grand National meet instead...I am with your thinking Fred [which is very rare....] l.o.l.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
RockHillWill

Hey Peter, I may get a chance at seeing your judging expertice. I am considering taking the truck with me to Hershey for the AACA show.

What do you think????
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
peters180a/170b

no polish , less work.....l.o.l..... I'll put in for the class today as i received my judging form... Believe it or not i taught a class on Model "A"s at the Grand National meet. Went head to head with the National Chairman Judge at the last meet...He said i was better at Judging "A"s and to do a class on "A"s.. then he was... That's whats wrong with A.A.C.A. ...you get to judge cars you don't know anything about sometimes. P.S. Will ,,,leave a $50.00 on the front seat....
Old 07-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
RockHillWill

LOL Vince, I may have to take a 'hit' on that.

We did a LOT of work to get that finish, my 'boys' might whoop my ass if I messed with it.

Good to visit with you at Oshkosh. With your knowledge, I wish you would consider judging both MARC and MAFCA.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
peters180a/170b

Leave 2 , $50.00 bills on the front seat..Vince and i will put in for your class..l.o.l. Scott Mc Grew will work for free,,,,,l,o,l,
Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
RockHillWill

Only $50 ?????

Crap, perhaps I have over estimated both you guys, LMAO!