Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #21
SAJ

Default Re: Curious of your preference

For hill starts, particularly at traffic jams, roundabouts etc where I do not wish to constantly lean forward to release the handbrake as my left foot releases the clutch, I keep my right foot on the footbrake and use the hand throttle to take off. When underway clear of the hold-up, I transfer my foot to the throttle pedal (which is between clutch and brake pedals on RHD cars) and return the hand throttle to the top position.
On really steep hills like my driveway in to my garage, where I have to back-up and turn using the mirrors in very close quarters, bending forward and losing sight of the rear mirror to reach the handbrake is dangerous. Using footbrake and hand throttle while turning backwards into the garage using the mirror is easy and safe.
I wish my other vintage cars had a hand throttle like our Model A's
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
7_Zero

Mostly use the pedal as that is what feels natural. I use the hand throttle when starting the engine and when starting from a stop on a hill. I will also use it briefly on those long stretches so that I can give my foot a rest. Tried using it as a cruise control but find that the speed does not stay steady enough due to variations in the road. Never realized how many constant small adjustments I made with my foot when driving until I tried using the hand throttle.

When my dad drives he uses a combination of both depending on which gear he is in. He cannot get his leg passed the shifter in certain gears so he hand throttles it through those gears.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #23
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
I was wondering what everyone's preference is regarding using the foot pedal accelerator or the lever on the steering column. I tend to use the foot pedal from a stop to get up to speed then switch to using the lever on the steering column. What are some other preferences. Was Henry Ford reluctant to give up the steering column accelerator lever used on the Model Ts?
Anybody remember hearing the term "foot feed"? Does anybody still use the term "foot feed"? When I was a kid in the '50's I heard that a lot and it seemed strange to me as cars all had the pedal on the floor so you used your foot. Why use the word "foot"? An uncle explained that in the days of the T, an accelerator pedal on the floor was an aftermarket option only. So not every T had one.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #24
CarlG

I typically use the hand throttle lever for fast idles, and to momentarily reposition my foot on the "foot feed". Oh, and as someone has already mentioned, starting off from a dead stop going up hill, a task otherwise requiring 3 feet.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote