Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #41
Cape Codder

Default Re: Reproduction fenders

Brent,
Hope this isn't to much off topic but I have a question.
In post #2 of this thread you gave a link to an article you wrote on "Reproduction Fenders". In that article you said "I have a set of vice grips that are specifically made to straighten a bead". Could you post some pictures of those vice grips?
Thanks for your time.
Cape Codder
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
darrylkmc

Originally Posted by kelley's restoration

"i hate to say it like this, but since its such a big price to fix the fender why not retool the splash apron....at least the front nose part"

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C

"Interesting thought but I think the old saying "Two wrongs do not make a Right." would apply."

Brent, Isn't refitting the splash aprons exactly what you are doing in this article?

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/fender/fender2.html

Just wanting to see if we are on the same page here, what a difference from my experience with the fit years ago.

Darryl in Fairbanks, Owner of a pair of the first run of Gaslight fenders made.
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #43
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Brent,
Hope this isn't to much off topic but I have a question.
In post #2 of this thread you gave a link to an article you wrote on "Reproduction Fenders". In that article you said "I have a set of vice grips that are specifically made to straighten a bead". Could you post some pictures of those vice grips?
Thanks for your time.
Cape Codder
I don't have a picture of either pair I have but here is a picture of Will Cronkrite's taken from his website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Originally Posted by kelley's restoration

"i hate to say it like this, but since its such a big price to fix the fender why not retool the splash apron....at least the front nose part"

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C

"Interesting thought but I think the old saying "Two wrongs do not make a Right." would apply."

Brent, Isn't refitting the splash aprons exactly what you are doing in this article?

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/fender/fender2.html

Just wanting to see if we are on the same page here, what a difference from my experience with the fit years ago.

Darryl in Fairbanks, Owner of a pair of the first run of Gaslight fenders made.

Well kinda. On those, it is kinda confusing in that they were converted to '30 style fenders where the short apron was fitted to the outline of the fender flange. THEN the fender flange is removed and replaced because if you recall, the short apron was spot-welded onto the fender in 1930. Also, there is work to do in the tail section, and almost always the bead flares out like the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #44
Cape Codder

Thanks for the link to the pictures of the bead pliers.
Cape Codder
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #45
Tinbasher

Work with the best you can get. I made up a pair of rear fenders for a 32 Chev 40 years ago when A/m wasn't available. I had 60 hours in each rear fender just for the metal work.
It takes me about 6 - 12 hours to rework a 30 - 31 front fender from Gaslight, better than 40 hours to repair an original!!!
The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #46
Portland/JohnR

Hi all! Can someone tell me who the manufacturers of 28-29 sedan rear fenders are?
Portland/JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #47
oldredford

WTF people, if you don't like the repops then don't buy them. I have bought several sets and yes they do require work to fit. I am not an expert but I have had good results with mine... No they won't pass a high point inspection but who the fxxk cares. We all should be glad someone is at least popping these fenders out. At least you have a core to work with. I can't believe some folks....Try finding a good original pair.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #48
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
Crap is right ! I had a pair of 29 repo fenders that flared out on the side, would not butt together with the running boards, bead was too wide, headlight bar holes did not line up. Cost to repair would have been as much as repairing a used set.
My advise......find good used fenders and go from there. That is unless you are a skilled old time body man who likes lots of work.
I found the quality of the 28-29 reproduction front fenders much better than the 30-31. The pair I installed on my 29 tudor fit fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 2.41.30 PM.jpg (95.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 2.35.31 PM.jpg (51.8 KB, 42 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #49
Keith True

I put some new 28-9 front fenders on a few years ago.I expected some problems,but every bolt dropped right into place.I had some problems with a set of new 31's,but they were minor.The big problems were not the fault of the fenders.Both running boards had been pushed back,bending the brackets and rear fenders.Just 1/4 inch,but it might as well have been a foot.I started with the front fender braces and headlight bar.Once I had those correct I straightened the running board brackets and it all fell into place.Then all I had to do was to modify the curve of the fender where it meets the splash apron.I have a metal man as a garage tenant,he trimmed and welded,he did both in 1-1/2 hours.That was welded and fitted,not metal finished.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #50
JohnLaVoy

I have seen these comments about the reproduction fenders and find them incorrect. I was told by one restoration shop that there would need to be all this cutting and fitting to make them work. I took the project home and a couple of simple cuts to the area that connects to the apron and they fit fine. After the first one it was pretty simple. I even ordered a 29 fender to check those and the same results.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #51
JOHN CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
How would you know that the car is not distorted? Most cars are not new old stock anymore.
I agree. Maybe with 80 year old cars sagging frames warped bodies, just adds to fenders and other reproduction parts not to fit properly.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #52
denniskliesen

After reading all the posts about fenders repop and original, does anybody consider how much more a Model A is worth in unrestored condition with perfect fenders?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #53
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Geez guys, do y'all even read ALL the posts? This thread is over 5 years old

This thread only resurfaced because a new Fordbarner came asking a question about something totally off topic (rear Sedan fenders for 28/29). Why not answer his question instead? To answer you John, I am unaware that anyone is manufacturing Sedan rear fenders at this time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #54
Keith True

A bodyman was looking at my roadster and commented that it was worth more in pieces than as a whole car.That set everybody here off to making guesses as to what it was worth that way.Rust/crack/dent free front and rear fenders,perfect stainless,body in the same condition,straight hood,etc.The nice original one piece running board splash aprons seemed to have everybody stumped as to price guessing.It is a 35,000 mile car and we figured the running gear was the least valuable part of the car.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #55
Roadster62

Just installed a left front welled fender we got from TAM'S on a '31 two door Phaeton, it just bolted on in seven hours. The fender to apron/running board fit was fine, lots of clamps and fussing to get to the hole scribing. Once bolted on the outer bead needed some work to get rid of a wave. Not a future show car,driver quality job, all the fenders, running boards, and aprons are repops, so are the front fender brackets, overall fit is really nice. Bob
Old 05-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #56
SteveB31

Ahooga parts in Ohio has purchased the tooling for both styles of sedan rear fenders as well as coupe/ roadster rear fenders, from Funks that used to make them. He has not completed them yet, but should have them done this summer.

Steve @ Bert's
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote