Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
RyanB

Default New Top for 1929 45-A/Please Help!

I am in the final stages of my full restoration of a 1929 45-A and had some top moulding questions. In the judging standards it calls for two piece steel front and back but does not mention sides as far as I can tell. I have the hidem welt that came with the kit but I really don't know what I should use. I also don't know if I should paint the steel trim. I see that I can buy aluminum as well but I really want the car to look correct.

I also have the top fabric that came with really lousy foam padding and I really don't want to use it. Any suggestions on a more longer lasting material? Any help would be really appreciated.

P.S. I love the rose beige color with the seal brown band. Thanks for helping with the color everyone. The pinstriper is coming this weekend for the orange pinstripe! Getting really excited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 45-A coupe.jpg (44.8 KB, 94 views)
RyanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: New Top for 1929 45-A/Please Help!

Not sure if you are looking for suggestions on top material OR just the padding. I might suggest (if you can still find it) Landau top padding. It is a closed cell somewhat dense poly foam. It use to come in two thicknesses. I would recommend the thinner foam. You don't want it too thick or it will be tough to install the moldings. This is the stuff we used when I was an auto trimmer.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
RyanB

Thanks Bob. I have the top material but just needed to know about moldings and the pad under the top material. The material I got with the top is really lousy foam and I did not want to use it. If I am going to do this I don't want to go through the headache more than once. I got the front seats done last night and it was not too bad so we will see how the rest of the interior goes.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Tacoma Bob

You're welcome. Again I would recommend "landau top" foam. I don't know what they sent you but you don't want to use "open " cell foam as it will retain moisture and promote rust. Check with an upholstery supply house or auto trim shop to see if the stuff is still available.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
RyanB

Sounds great. I found a good store in Salt Lake City yesterday and will ask them. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I would never use any foam rubber, as it will break down with heat and age. The fabric shops have a nice fiber fill material that is often used in quilts, or you can use cotton as originally was used.

I wonder if Marco has some Coupe top pictures on his website?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
RyanB

Tom what do you suggest on the moldings? The steel two part moldings for the front and back and hidem welt for the sides? And do you paint the metal moldings the body color?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
Don Turley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Tom what do you suggest on the moldings? The steel two part moldings for the front and back and hidem welt for the sides? And do you paint the metal moldings the body color?
The side moldings on a 45A 1929 Standard Coupe are the two piece drip rails (rain gutters). Per the "Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards", page 9-1:
"Generally, steel moldings were pre-painted to match the top material and installed after the body was painted, except Sport Coupe drip moldings that were pre-painted to match the upper body. Aluminum moldings were installed earlier and painted with the body."

On a 1929 Standard Coupe 45A, the original drip moldings and top moldings were made of steel, pre-painted black, and installed after the top material. The roof moldings and drip rails are illustrated on page 9-2 of the "Guidelines". Drip Rail base "DB2" and Drip Rail "D1" are the side pieces for "Passenger Cars" . The front molding is "F1". The rear molding is "R1".

On a 1929 Standard Coupe, the roof padding should only cover the open area, not all the way to the drip moldings (rain gutters) on the sides. I like to use a thin blanket for the padding. If you have one, an old Army blanket works great. Or something similar.

Last edited by Don Turley; 08-25-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
RyanB

Don that is incredibly helpful. I will get the moldings ordered today. Thanks for all the help! This forum is a lifesaver.