Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #41
tubman

Default Re: This is funny

"Licensed to kill" - With all due respect, I have been on various forums for well over 10 years and have found that there are a lot of real lazy people out there. Most of them don't want to waste their time with the "Search" function. Are their legitimate reasons to drag and old thread back up? Certainly, but those occasions are far outweighed by those seeking the easy way out.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #42
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Licensed to kill" - With all due respect, I have been on various forums for well over 10 years and have found that there are a lot of real lazy people out there. Most of them don't want to waste their time with the "Search" function. Are their legitimate reasons to drag and old thread back up? Certainly, but those occasions are far outweighed by those seeking the easy way out.
I know that some people see it that way. I too have been following several forums for many years and what I've noticed in all those years is that when someone drags up an old thread or starts anew thread on a topic that has been covered many times in the past is that something new invariably comes up on the topic if it gets any traction at all. There are more that one way to skin any cat, as it were, and while the senior members may have hashed out a topic at length in the past, a newer member may have new insight on that topic that will never have the opportunity to share it if everyone wanting to know just did a search for an answer (notice I didn't say THE answer because there vis usually more than 1 RIGHT answer). I've been new to forums where someone bringing up an old topic gets chastised by the senior members and the thread effectively gets shut down and I'm left thinking, "damn, I wanted hear about that". To each his own but I see forums as a place to exchange dialogue, not just an archive. I'm sure that a google search would yield the answer to ANY question that could possibly be answered on a forum so, in that respect, forums are redundant and serve no practical purpose is there only function is to provide a source to look up information. What I don't get is why people get their panties in a bunch if someone asks a question that has been covered in depth in the past. Just don't read/respond to it if you don't like it. That's better than voicing an objection that might discourage others from participating. That's how i see it any how. Like I said, to each his own.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:34 PM   #43
HD Rider

I can tell you guys that the search function on this forum doesn't work on my Android device. I have also spent hours searching for answers and just given up because I waste too much time looking through search results that aren't relevant. They get hits on key words and bury what I'm searching for.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #44
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
I can tell you guys that the search function on this forum doesn't work on my Android device. I have also spent hours searching for answers and just given up because I waste too much time looking through search results that aren't relevant. They get hits on key words and bury what I'm searching for.
That has been my experience as well. I have better luck finding relevant threads on this forum through a google search that I do through a forum search.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #45
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
That has been my experience as well. I have better luck finding relevant threads on this forum through a google search that I do through a forum search.
Well now that we're good and off-track here, here's a search tip for y'all.

When using google, begin your search with this:

SITE:WWW.FORDBARN.COM your search phrase here

You will get results from the site you specify.

Here's an example using the phrase 1936 Phaeton:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #46
Royal Ryser

I have used the Search function many times, but sometimes I just can't figure out how to use the right wording to find the info I need.
In that case, I think it is acceptable to pose the question and learn from the responses, even if that means I get chastised a bit for not using Search, "like I'm supposed to."
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #47
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

darn! didn't know I could use "Bitchin ride, Dude" to get my totals higher. LOL
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote