Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
rbullockv8

Default Headlight conduit routing 1932

Anyone have a good picture of the headlight conduit where it comes through the radiator shell to the interior? I'm using stainless ones on my pickup just because they're pretty, but when running it the other day, the interior end came loose where I had it tucked beside the radiator, causing the tips of the fan blade to hit it. Thought I'd lost something deep inside the engine before I pinpointed the noise.

Were these secured somehow? Also, were the black fabric conduits leading to the lights and horn secured/clamped anywhere toward the front where the fender meets the radiator shell? I've got some of the frame wire clips, but not sure if there was something else in that busy corner. I've never seen a good photo of that area.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Headlight conduit routing 1932

Sorry, but I've no photo.

The head lamp/horn wiring harness is secured in three places. Two are prongs that are integral with the bottom tank on the radiator (one on each side) and by a clip under the left side frame rail using the forward-most screw of the forward hood latch. It has raised edges where in comes in contact to avoid cutting into the wire and is shown at the bottom of the first column of small clips in the photo below.

About the only way for your fan to contact the head lamp wire conduits that pass through the sides of the radiator shell is for those conduits to be too long (Model A conduits are longer than '32 conduits and I don't recall the '32 versions being reproduced) or not attached to the head lamps. I know from extensive experience that original '32 conduits (be they the fabric or stainless steel versions) are not long enough to reach the back of the radiator if they are properly attached to the head lamp sockets on the head lamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 508.jpg (33.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 01-04-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarification
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
rbullockv8

Thanks, David. I must have Model A conduits. As long as the wires are secured, they shouldn't be a problem. I didn't know about the clip on the hood latch, but thought about making one for there since that's where it's needed. Good to have a photo to go by. That's my next project--as soon as I get over the flu.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
DavidG

Rich,

If the conduits that you are using came from Bob Drake, then they are most certainly too long (about 3 inches' worth). I received a pair of them in error instead of the starter cable rubber grommets that I ordered (which are easily mistaken for the stainless steel conduits, of course). Why the extra length, I wonder? Certainly not for lamps mounted on dropped bars.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
ReggieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Sorry, but I've no photo.

The head lamp/horn wiring harness is secured in three places. Two are prongs that are integral with the bottom tank on the radiator (one on each side) and by a clip under the left side frame rail using the forward-most screw of the forward hood latch. It has raised edges where in comes in contact to avoid cutting into the wire and is shown at the bottom of the first column of small clips in the photo below.

About the only way for your fan to contact the head lamp wire conduits that pass through the sides of the radiator shell is for those conduits to be too long (Model A conduits are longer than '32 conduits and I don't recall the '32 versions being reproduced) or not attached to the head lamps. I know from extensive experience that original '32 conduits (be they the fabric or stainless steel versions) are not long enough to reach the back of the radiator if they are properly attached to the head lamp sockets on the head lamps.
I suppose this is a stupid question, but what is the length and diameter of "A" vs "32" Conduits, if it has been posted, I have either overlooked it or somehow missed it.
Thanks
Reggie
ReggieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Bubsyouruncle

Davidg
You are the king of 32.
However, wouldn't even 3 inch too long Model A conduit wire have a hard time getting around the radiator to be whacked by the fan?
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
DavidG

I agree. It's hard to envision it happening. With wire inside, the most you can bend a conduit (at least an original) is a semi-circle which would not even be close to clearing the back of the radiator shell.

I'm away from my car stuff so I am unable to provide the dimensions requested.