Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
rbullockv8

Default Tires on 1935 style 16" rims

I've searched the forums (both V-8 and Model A), but there are so many variations of years and sizes, I'm still not sure what to do.

I have 6, 16" spoke rims. I believe they are all 4" rims (measuring inside the mounting lip). They are powder coated and beautiful and I want to use them on my 32 pickup. Now, for tires:

Is anyone running tubeless on these spoked wheels? I know I can use tubes, but just wondering to save costs. Is there a way to test them for air worthiness before mounting?

Are there any mounting questions I need to ask my local tire shop, such as how to mount the tires without chipping the rims? I've looked at Universal Tire's website, but I'm having trouble figuring out which tires will work.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Straightpipes

Default Re: Tires on 1935 style 16" rims

My 34 has 16s with firestone biased ply tubless from Universal. No problems 5000 miles.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
hotcoupe

i would recommend that you DON`T use tubeless tires on those rims. if you look at a modern rim you will see a raised ring adjacent to where the tire bead nests, the 16" ford wheel does not have that raised ring. the purpose of that ring [as i understand it] is to keep the tire bead in place in the event of a tire blow out. i`m sure others will argue that they have used tubeless tires without problems. there is a reason the original manufacturer recommends tube type tires to be used on those rims.
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
........ there is a reason the original manufacturer recommends tube type tires to be used on those rims.
tom
Did anything other than tube type tires exist when the original manufacturer made them?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I am using radial tires on '35 wire wheels. Have one set of Coker www 600R X 16's with tubes, and one set Diamondback smooth bw, 750R X 16 on rear, and 550R x 16 on front, also using tubes. I don't buy tubes from the tire dealers. I buy tubes rated for use with radials from a local AG Industrial Store at about 1/2 the cost that Coker & Diamondback are selling them for. The AG store also sells the plastic valve stem protecting gromets that are necessary to prevent chaffing failure of the stems. Some do run tubeless on early Ford rims, but I feel safer having tubes, and have not had any problems during the 35k miles that I have driven on these tires. The next set of tires I buy will be Coker Excelsior bw radials that look like bias ply tires.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Mart

The idea that the safety ribs are necessary for running tubeless is a fallacy. Tubeless tires were introduced a long time before the safety ribs were thought of. Virtually every car built in the late 50 and through the 60s ran tubeless with no safety ribs.

I've never ran tubeless on early ford wheels, but do run tubeless tires on my 58 GMC without safety ribs or any problems. In fact it is better as it is now because I had problems when running tubes in the radial tires. They kept chafing and going flat. I deleted the tubes and it's been good ever since.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote