Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Wisconsinjimmy

Question Engine Bearings

do all the 1929 engines use Babbitt for the bearings, also how hard is it to do your own Babbitt work.
Wisconsinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Engine Bearings

All of the Model A engines used Babbitt bearings originally. All Ford engines continued to use babbitt through the introduction of inserts as a production (not customer) option in 1936. Unless you are considering setting up a business doing Babbitt is not something you want to try yourself at home. Molds for the babbitt are required. The temperature that the babbitt is poured is critical. If you overheat the Babbitt during the process it will be ruined. After the babbitt is cast it must be machined.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Wisconsinjimmy

Jeez just asked a simple question.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinjimmy View Post
Jeez just asked a simple question.
You ask a question, and got a good answer.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinjimmy View Post
do all the 1929 engines use Babbitt for the bearings, also how hard is it to do your own Babbitt work.
Simple as it gets for an answer:

First question: Yes

Second question: Very hard (Best left to those with experience.)

Where are you located in Wisc?

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 09-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Wisconsinjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Simple as it gets for an answer:

First question: Yes

Second question: Very hard (Best left to those with experience.)

Where are you located in Wisc?

Good Day!
I am located in Cushing, WI, half way between Saint Croix Falls WI and Grantsburg WI on HWY 87
45°35'43.73"N 92°37'35.22W
Just trying to get a feel for what I might be getting into or out of, just want it to run so I can drive around.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
larrys40

Jimmy,

I understand your question.. and the fact is, that it takes an incredible amount of experience, skill, and equipment to do the process. Even with all of that it is difficult at times. I think you were asking along the lines of probably doing a couple of your own.. if that is the case you are much better hiring that task done... as they will know what to do, how to do it, and will give you a block/crank that should be clearanced properly and give you good service. If you can find the fixtures ( I have some for sale) and the rest of the equipment and get through the learning curve with some practice tries, you may be able to do it but it probably won't be what an experienced babbit job from someone who does it would be like..... so in the long run it comes back to ... a job you're better off hiring done.

From a standpoint of one who does do it...on an as needed basis... and speaking from the standpoint of those like me who do it.... some might seem snippy in answering you just from the standpoint that some think that it really doesn't take that much and isn't that big of a deal to do 9those who don't do it)... which is far from the fact of truth. Most who do it have obtained ( many times over a number of years) the equipment at great expense, practiced, failed, practiced again, finally accomplished, and have taken much skill, patience, money, and time to learn the art... and it is just that..

Hopefully that helps you have a grasp on it and a take from where some of the other guys are coming from.. and gives you some direction in your path.

Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Wisconsinjimmy

1930 Coupe,
I apologize if I did not put that proper, I am by far not old enough to know anything about these engines.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Wisconsinjimmy

Thanks Larry, I was just curious as if it can be done on my shop floor, short answer is no. And I am not nor do I desire to learn such a trade. Be healthy.
Jim
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
jkeesey

haha Wisconsinjimmy its not an age thing Im 24 and look where I am. There are still guys out there that can do Babbitt without doing a total engine rebuild and throwing some big bucks you just have to find them. Just about every engine has Babbitt bearings, the difference is the old ones are poured Babbitt not shelled inserts. My Grandfather used to pour Babbitt but when he left us so did the technique.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Wisconsinjimmy

I had a Grand dad that could do that also said he learned it from his dad and was the only way to keep the car or cars running, to poor to hire it done. Anyways just to see what it costs to get the bottom end done does anyone know of a shop in Northwestern WI.?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Wisconsinjimmy

Yup the old buddy buddy, yup been there done that but hey what are friends for.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
jrelliott

There is a fellow in Rochester, MN by the name of Elmer LeBrash who is a member of Lady Slipper A's that has rebabbitted several Model A engines with great success. After pouring he sends to Byers machine shop there in Rochester for line boring and other machining. Elmer learned how to babbit from a fellow in West Concord, MN that specialized in Pierce Arrows and Packards. Elmer really knows how to do it correctly and has all the proper tools. My engine was the fifth one he did, no problems and is quiet and smooth running. Mine was done about 10 years ago, so he has done more since then. Doing babbitting correctly is an art that few people now do it the proper way. Elmer has given a class on how to Babbitt an engine to the Model A club so he knows his stuff. Was living in Rochester at the time, but have since moved away.
If you want to learn to Babbitt, learn from a master who has done many engines and will do it the proper way as there are no short cuts or reusing Babbitt. New Babbitt every time and keeping at the proper temps, tinning correctly, pouring the correct amount.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
There is a fellow in Rochester, MN by the name of Elmer LeBrash who is a member of Lady Slipper A's that has rebabbitted several Model A engines with great success. After pouring he sends to Byers machine shop there in Rochester for line boring and other machining. Elmer learned how to babbit from a fellow in West Concord, MN that specialized in Pierce Arrows and Packards. Elmer really knows how to do it correctly and has all the proper tools. My engine was the fifth one he did, no problems and is quiet and smooth running. Mine was done about 10 years ago, so he has done more since then. Doing babbitting correctly is an art that few people now do it the proper way. Elmer has given a class on how to Babbitt an engine to the Model A club so he knows his stuff. Was living in Rochester at the time, but have since moved away.
If you want to learn to Babbitt, learn from a master who has done many engines and will do it the proper way as there are no short cuts or reusing Babbitt. New Babbitt every time and keeping at the proper temps, tinning correctly, pouring the correct amount.
Elmer sold his equipment and moved out of the area this year. Nevada I seem to recall.
We bought his equipment and parts collection. We will be putting the babbitt fixtures and furnace up for sale soon.

Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Elmer sold his equipment and moved out of the area this year. Nevada I seem to recall.
We bought his equipment and parts collection. We will be putting the babbitt fixtures and furnace up for sale soon.

Dave in MN
Dave, let me know.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
newcider

Lehigh Valley, PA club members would like to try Babbitt pouring.
We have a few center mains that need renewed.
To start there, does anyone have a mold available?
Wayne-
484 32 8551
newcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #17
KR500

Gene French in Colorado makes and sells molds for doing the A's and T's. The molds are only about 1/10 of what else is required. Purchase of a good grade of babbitt, propane torch for for preheating cap or block, large torch. Pot to heat babbitt to proper temp and a pyrometer or laser temp gun to confirm temp. Some form of peining tools, and then an align bore arrangement, of which Gene French also sells, to finish your bearings to proper size and oil clearance. Oh yeah and quite important to have some machining skills bore setting the tools and measuring your work. Gene French sells his molds on EBay as well as Lang's Model T parts.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #18
nkaminar

I have never poured babbett bearings but have seen it done for a Model T. There are some tricks to getting it right. If you are young and have good mechanical abilities it would be a valuable skill to learn. Read up as much as you can and try to watch the process. Don't be afraid of failure, you can always pour it again. You will need the molds, a crucible, some means of heating the metal, and a boring machine, all available. By the way, the babbett rod bearings I watched being poured had the damn break on the mold and had to be redone, but you just re melt the metal and try again.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #19
MrBruce

WisconsinJimmy
Just a comment, the trend currently is to "insert" the Model A like Ford did starting around 1936. It really makes it a modern engine and you can do a lot more performance wise with it. Rich at Antique Engine Rebuilders in Skokie brought the inserts in and after doing babbiting for years doesn't do it any more. My dad sold all his babbiting equipment a number of years ago and the guy that bought it still doesn't have it up and running. It takes some skill to babbit and line bore engines. I've got two inserted engines. Just my thoughts to another Wisconsinite...(Formerly from Kenosha and born and raised in Chippewa Falls.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #20
redmodelt

Mike Bender designed the mold that Gene makes and sells. Mike uses the Palmer Hot Pot, not sure if his 400 or 500 watt for melting the Babbitt. While these videos are Model T, A is the same, enjoy;
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GmKK1nA0Yctp6G
My meter can use a K type temperature probe (it's C not F so have to do the conversion).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-type-Ther...53.m1438.l2649