Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Burtz engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Since they stopped buying our coal the price has shot up and we are doing quite well out of it.
It looks like an energy crunch is comming, just as their winter hits. Their govt has said to spend whatever it takes to keep their people warm. Interesting to see what happens.
With some of their big property developers on the brink, the economy slowing and the unemployment rate likely to rise, the future of the CCP is not guaranteed IMO. Who knows what such a dictatorial and authoritarian Government would do to stay in power.
BTW, China's manufacturing is handicapped at the moment by a shortage of power. The same is happening in India. Between the two, that one heck of a lot of people.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
Jeff/Illinois

Hopefully they can fill Mr. Burtz' engine orders. Not looking very good at this point for that to happen.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 10-08-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #23
Jordan

What did you do regarding the rear main seal? I know others have left spring out, left spring in, done the double seal with oil in between.... What did you do & how did it work for you? Any leaks, even if minor?
Old 10-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #24
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Why could these blocks not have been made in the USA? It’s often been expressed that many Fordbarners want nothing to do with Chinese made parts.
not enough money in it.

you get what you pay for.

if you want china to build really nice stuff they will make it.

if you want some real cheap stuff made they will make that. (this is what most of us see)

the 1st problem is the supplier wants his product manufactured for as cheap as he can get so he can make a good inventory turn over and profit margin. then the product is passed onto us. and who knows what labelling and quality standards it has passed through, if any.

the second issue, we as consumers (majority) are cheep/thrifty and don't want to pay for the quality stuff. especially after it has gone through the supplier who makes his profit.

bottom line is China can make nice products if they are asked to.

i don't think china is as bad as we make out. they have given us a competitive market that has kept other product parts more affordable. this actually makes our hobby affordable. and parts are available even if we have to rework them for fit and function.

now it isn't all Chinese products that have issues. you old guys will remember stuff that was made in Argentina same bad products.
and lets go back even further.
you older guys will remember Made in Japan. we had some real crappy products made in Japan.

my $.02

ou
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #25
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
not enough money in it.

you get what you pay for.

if you want china to build really nice stuff they will make it.

if you want some real cheap stuff made they will make that. (this is what most of us see)

the 1st problem is the supplier wants his product manufactured for as cheap as he can get so he can make a good inventory turn over and profit margin. then the product is passed onto us. and who knows what labelling and quality standards it has passed through, if any.

the second issue, we as consumers (majority) are cheep/thrifty and don't want to pay for the quality stuff. especially after it has gone through the supplier who makes his profit.

bottom line is China can make nice products if they are asked to.

i don't think china is as bad as we make out. they have given us a competitive market that has kept other product parts more affordable. this actually makes our hobby affordable. and parts are available even if we have to rework them for fit and function.

now it isn't all Chinese products that have issues. you old guys will remember stuff that was made in Argentina same bad products.
and lets go back even further.
you older guys will remember Made in Japan. we had some real crappy products made in Japan.

my $.02

ou
Well said, I am not that articulate.
I can tell you from the racing side, high quality parts cost plenty.
To have a motor that will live above 6k revs, I don't mean hill climb, I mean hold at that speed for a minute or two or 3. It cost double to 3 times the Burtz assembly.

Terry did everything possible to have a Made in USA product, it just didn't come to fruition.

What I do know, dropping Industrial arts out of the school systems did not do this country any good. I have a 10th grader on the Robotics team in school and teaching the Mentors and Teacher manufacturing and machining.

I can only hope that Terry is successful in this venture for many years to come.

John
Old 10-09-2021, 02:34 AM   #26
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Why could these blocks not have been made in the USA? It’s often been expressed that many Fordbarners want nothing to do with Chinese made parts.
You do know that this (USA) is still a free Country, as to your opinion and buying choices ?
DO NOT BUY from some one and/ or some place that you do not trust…eh !!
I will repeat AGAIN. If you / anyone here has the time to make disparaging remarks and thoughts regarding this Burts engine and how it came to fruition. Go back thru the YEARS of threads , on this subject… if you truly care to know truth of matter.
This man, Terry Burtz, has the tenacity and determination of a pit bull. He has skills and knowledge to accomplish this complicated job.
What you do not know of him , is that he spent decades pursuing his goal.
For any one to question him, regarding his going to China… or anywhere else ,to
accomplish his dream/goals… is to reveal that you know NOTHING of this man and of his journey !!
There are a few here who all but infer that he is anti American. This is as far from truth as possible… to put it in a gentle way.
Just think… no BS, GOOD or bad would be experienced had Burtz be any less of a man than he is ! He is a RARE specimen , and WE are lucky model Aers to have him as friend. THANKS TERRY from most all of us !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:26 AM   #27
JOHNCL

I totally agree with Hard Times.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #28
motordr

Very well said hardtimes, the Burtz Model A engine is a game changer. Thank you Terry Burtz!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #29
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
You do know that this (USA) is still a free Country, as to your opinion and buying choices ?
DO NOT BUY from some one and/ or some place that you do not trust…eh !!
I will repeat AGAIN. If you / anyone here has the time to make disparaging remarks and thoughts regarding this Burts engine and how it came to fruition. Go back thru the YEARS of threads , on this subject… if you truly care to know truth of matter.
This man, Terry Burtz, has the tenacity and determination of a pit bull. He has skills and knowledge to accomplish this complicated job.
What you do not know of him , is that he spent decades pursuing his goal.
For any one to question him, regarding his going to China… or anywhere else ,to
accomplish his dream/goals… is to reveal that you know NOTHING of this man and of his journey !!
There are a few here who all but infer that he is anti American. This is as far from truth as possible… to put it in a gentle way.
Just think… no BS, GOOD or bad would be experienced had Burtz be any less of a man than he is ! He is a RARE specimen , and WE are lucky model Aers to have him as friend. THANKS TERRY from most all of us !

So true, as to Terry's devotion to the project. His history on this project is agonizing tenacity for many many years. He did what few do, and that is to hold the project to the highest standard, both technically and ethically. His support post sale is impeccable.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #30
Lawrie

also , dont make cheap remarks, UNTIL you have seen his engine, AND driven an A with one of his engines
As some one said, the holy grail of A engines
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #31
Lawrie

Sorry , double post

Last edited by Lawrie; 10-09-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: double post
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:44 PM   #32
kawagumby

The guy asks a question and is attacked......
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #33
Terry Burtz, Calif

Thanks, everyone for the compliments and comments.

The inferior parts for Model A Fords that we are familiar with are because the purchaser in the USA likely sent a worn-out or poor-quality aftermarket part to China to have it reverse engineered, and then awarded a contract to the lowest bidder.

Ford referred to these poor-quality parts as “GYP” parts.

During the depression, people had little money and GYP parts kept the car running at much less cost than genuine Ford parts.

For every new engine part, we sent a complete engineering package of the new design based on original Ford drawings and documented in SolidWorks to China.

In China, we are using factories that specialize in making engine parts for modern engines.

To complement the new internal design, we are taking advantage of 90 years of progress made in materials, heat treating, and quality assurance.

If anyone knows of a factory in the USA that can produce the “New Engine Kit” to the same quality and price, please send an email using your made in the USA phone or computer. I’m kidding, you can use your phone or computer that was made in China.

Last edited by Terry Burtz, Calif; 10-10-2021 at 11:24 PM. Reason: missing letter
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #34
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
Thanks, everyone for the compliments and comments.

The inferior parts for Model A Fords that we are familiar with are because the purchaser in the USA likely sent a worn-out or poor-quality aftermarket part to China to have it reverse engineered, and then awarded a contract to the lowest bidder.

Ford referred to these poor-quality parts as “GYP” parts.

During the depression, people had little money and GYP parts kept the car running at much less cost than genuine Ford parts.

For every new engine part, we sent a complete engineering package of the new design based on original Ford drawings and documented in SolidWorks to China.

In China, we are using factories that specialize in making engine parts for modern engines.

To complement the new internal design, we are taking advantage of 90 years of progress made in materials, heat treating, and quality assurance.

I anyone knows of a factory in the USA that can produce the “New Engine Kit” to the same quality and price, please send an email using your made in the USA phone or computer. I’m kidding, you can use your phone or computer that was made in China.

i give to you two thumbs up!

ou
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #35
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
I’m kidding, you can use your phone or computer that was made in China.
Brilliant.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #36
daveymc29

Terry,

You will always be my hero of the Model A World.

The Ace Mechanic, Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:29 AM   #37
SHEC

How true
How true.....✔️🇺🇸
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #38
MrBruce

Terry is spot on, met him at Oshkosh. He is completely correct about the vendors not quality checking the parts we get when it comes to Model A parts. I spent over 26 years with Clevite Engine parts and every part WE manufactured and sent to the warehouse for packaging and sale, went though our inspection department (I say again, from our own plants it was inspected by our warehouse)! Case in point that's disgusting, I just bought a complete wiring harness ($100.00) for my 31 Model A pickup, there was a note that the black wafer that has the bullet divots in it was made to thick and that I was suppose to take a dremel and grind it down. This is exactly our problem, they should have been sent back (it can easily be unhooked) and new parts sent out to correct the problem! Another vendor has stopped selling AMP gauges as the quality was so poor and they felt it just wasn't fair to continue selling a product that was probably coming back? When Rich Fallucca produced the insert bearings for Model A's he took flack over that. What? All engines after the mid 30's had inserts, great for the Model A's and for the Hobby? We've lost a lot of our manufacturing to China, it's a shame and hopefully we have learned and can start getting it back. I commend Terry for his undying drive to get this done. Everyone should be doing a "happy dance" and commending TERRY -- just my thoughts sorry it's so long
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #39
Jeff/Illinois

A new casting of a 59AB Ford flathead block would sell like hotcakes too

There are thousands of bad Ford Flatheads that are suffering cracked blocks.

Of course that is a whole different animal in the foundry world. Ford did what they all said couldn't be done, with the Flathead V-8.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #40
rfitzpatrick

[Q -- just my thoughts sorry it's so long[/QUOTE]

Actually I read every word -- twice
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote