Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
modelapickup31

Default registering in Connecticut

Been on the phone for Dmv for a long time and am ready to smack my head against the wall. Left emails and voicemails..nothing. Does anyone know about the latest process for putting my A on the road? I'm not sure what to classify it as (composite, salvage or just restored) I purchased it in pieces and have no history on it as far as when it was last registered. Trying really hard to get married with it in August and really could use some help!
Thanks,
Geoff
modelapickup31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Franchise_24

Default Re: registering in Connecticut

While I don't have any info, you may be better off to go down there in person and talk with them. Probably much easier than trying to do it over the phone.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
KGBnut

I had some iffy paperwork when I registered mine in 2011. I, too, called and couldn't get a straight answer, or was told that I needed to present impossible documentation.

In the end, I showed up at the DMV with a smile on my face. The lady behind the counter was helpful and delightful. All I gave her was the Bill of Sale, the VIN verification which was signed off by a local cop, and my insurance card. We had a nice chat about the history of my car while she typed. Much to my shock, I was in and out in twenty minutes with plates in my hand.

I had a song and dance all ready to deal with the paperwork that didn't exist that I thought was needed, but never had to strike up the band. I will say this, as prepared as I was with excuses, I did make up my mind to only answer questions that were asked. I did not offer any information that might accidentally open a can of worms.

Maybe I just got lucky...I can't say for sure.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Ken

Last edited by KGBnut; 06-26-2015 at 12:01 PM.
KGBnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
2manycars

You need a bill of sale (Q1 form) an insurance card, a properly filled out application for registration, and if the car was previously registered in CT, a copy of that previous registration. If it was not previously registered, or if you do not have a copy, then you must have the VIN verified, which means take the car to an emissions station and pay $10 to verify the bill of sale matches the engine number.
Tell them you want a white plate. The white plate restricts your town property tax levy.
It is really rather simple, and much easier than many state, since a title is not needed, and the info on the Q1 just has to match the engine number.
If you cannot trailer the car to an emissions station, then you need a temporary plate, which is one more trip to DMV. I reccomend using a trailer.
If the car is currently registered, everything is much simpler.
I have done this over 270 times, so I know what is going on.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Step-down

Bill of sale from a Ct resident , vin check , insurance , pay your sale tax and 3 hours of your time and you walk out with classic plate . Early American plate seem to be a thing of the past ... Just completed last week .
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
modelapickup31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Very happy to read everyone's replies
I'm actually excited to go there now! I'm quite sure now that I was asking too much over the phone. Will certainly give an update.
Many thanks for putting me at ease!
Geoff
Old 06-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Steve_Mack_CT

Yep, Early American is no longer, but you can keep yours if you have one. We are planning on swapping the new "classic car" plate on the A Roadster with the "Early American" plate on our 89 MB roadster, will be loads of fun at DMV but just seems to make sense (then we hit them with the YOM plates!)

Congrats on your upcoming wedding Geoff!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
pgerhardt

It took me only about 45 minutes in the DMV to get my 1929 YOM plates "legalized". You can download the needed form from the DMV website. Make sure you bring the plates with you. They need to photocopy one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender 6.jpg (52.4 KB, 23 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
robert shreveport

What does YOM plates mean?
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Ed Wendell

Robert,
"YOM"= Year of Manufacture.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
Chris in CT

Hi pickup31,
KGBnut's answer is perfect. Connecticut is a non-title state for early cars so that the registration process is fairly straightforward. To re-state: do not call them, whoever answers the phone will not know how to deal with your issue, and NEVER give them information that they do not directly ask you for. Needless to say, be assiduously honest with them in answering the questions that they do ask. Good luck on your marriage to the car, and congratulations on your marriage to the girl!
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
modelapickup31

Went to local service station today and had more trouble getting vin verified. Any suggestions on what to do next? The tech told me he only had three options for the vin check on his computer. 1 certificate of title 2 certificate of origin 3. Registration document.
this is what he did for me.. will it work? I hope the document is clear enough for you to read..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dmv.jpg (48.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 07-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

if you attend in person rather than by telephone or email it will be to your advantage! They some times have handouts or brochures to provide guidance. That way you can show them what you have and they can provide an opinion or give direction. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #14
KGBnut

Okay...it seems something has changed. I had mine signed off in my garage by a local cop. But, that was four years ago and the form has changed. It now seems that form is only for out of state... I guess if you bought the car out of state and were getting plates to drive it home.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/ae-81.pdf

Beyond that, why didn't the guy at the inspection station indicate the VIN location 1 as "Engine"? (I'm assuming that you are going by engine number.) I think if he had done that you would have been good to go. Instead, he marked it as "unverifiable" which I think will just give you headaches regardless of his notes.

I think you need to shop around for an inspection station where the operator has some understanding of how it works with these cars.

Ken
Old 07-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Good old Andy at Personal Auto.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

You'll be GLAD about their RESTRICTIONS/PICKINESS, if you ever have a car STOLEN ! ! ! ! !
Bill W.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #17
modelapickup31

Ken,
The tech told me that he couldnt enter the vin number in that field because he didnt have one of the three documents listed to photocopy. He did however state at the bottom how this car wasn't issued any of those documents except a "Q1" form. I dont mind doing the right thing here I just wish it was clear what I need to do. It literally takes hours sometimes at the dmv and I want to make sure I have everything I need so that I dont get turned away again. The tech understood what I needed but couldn't offer anything else. I will certainly try somewhere else but it's tough when I have to keep renting a trailer.
thanks,
Geoff
Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

When I got titles for 2 of my Model A's that were bought without titles, it took me 18 months of running around and jumping through hoops, and cost $500 to get bonded titles. I made several trips to the DMV and bonding company, and no one seemed to know what to do. I found out later that other guys went to a smaller DMV and got titles within days and not much hassle.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #19
Steve_Mack_CT

CT is a non title state for vehicles this old. Latest regs on this from website a bit vague but I have registered two cars in past 18 mos. With bill of sale, insurance card and Vin verification. I am thinking you need a shop that understands "title" on older cars is the bill of sale. Call a couple places first and explain the situation to them. The guy who gets it is where you want to go to get it done. Also, you mention CMARC in another thread. You might check with Red to see who he uses. I know DMV accepts engine as long as verifier states it is only number for the car.

Good luck and too bad it's such a hassle.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

It's best to plan your registration EARLY in the restoration process. DON'T wait until it's FINISHED & run into problems!
I've heard some HORROR STORIES! I find it helps to take along PICS, your VINTAGE plates, a few screwdrivers & a tire gauge in your shirt pocket, & wear a hat thet sez, "I LOVE MY D.M.V."
Bill W.