Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
old guy rich

Default Car search

Hi guys, is there a site that can tell me if the car I had in high school is still around today if I put in the vin number? 1950 Merc vin # 50ME54024M. Thanks, old guy.
old guy rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Car search

I tried to find that once and everything I could find only does back to the more modern VIN style. I was looking for a 67.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
cas3

i think if it was always licensed it would show up. many states have a timeline on unlicensed vehicles before it gets dropped out of the system. my state its 7 years then its deleted.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
old guy rich

Thanks guys, I've been pretty busy, sorry for the late reply.
old guy rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
TJ

Due to privacy rights I doubt if you can get that information from any government agency.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Due to privacy rights I doubt if you can get that information from any government agency.

TJ is right....."Right to Privacy" laws today make that sort of info about impossible to obtain. About the only SLIM POSSIBILITY that I can think of is a friendly cop that MIGHT take the time to do a hell of a bunch of illicit research for you. In other words, it ain't likely gonna happen! Chances are that It probably got crushed like most of 'em, sent to China as scrap, and is back and runnin'-around somewhere in Joisey as a Subaru or Hyundai mini-van! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
bobH

For whatever it's worth... I had a 'hot-rodded' Model A, in the 58 to 65 time period. Couple years ago, I tried (and succeeded) to track it down. So, it CAN be done. In my case, I had (have) the license plate number, and that was all. I have a law-enforcement friend with DMV connections, and that was the way I was able to get the name, address, and phone number of the current owner. The registered owner is deceased, and I talked to his son, in a neighboring state. He didn't sound like he was real happy that I was able to track him down. Amazingly, the vehicle still exists, it's been restored (stock), and the Calif plate that I had on it, is still with the car. The VIN has been changed from a Model A VIN, to a SBC engine number that I recognized because I was the one that put that engine in it. That engine is long=gone, and the current owner didn't even know what that was all about.
Good luck. I was lucky.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
He didn't sound like he was real happy that I was able to track him down.

That's the idea behind that pesky "Right to Privacy" crap! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #9
Wat-0

The '46 coupe in my Avitar I first seen when I was 10 yrs old. I bought it when I was 16 for $75. I drove it for a couple years and traded it straight up for a '59 Corvette. Three months later I had seller remorse and tried to buy it back, to no availe. After getting out of the service I contacted the owner once again, only to find out he had sold the car but didn't know to whom. After 25 yrs I was able to track it down but not able to buy it. That owner passed away and the car was sold once again without me knowing. After another 17 yrs I tracked it down once again and contacted the owner. I did not ask about buying as I wanted to build a relationship with the owner. After another 10yrs I was able to purchase the car. It is in the same condition except it needs interior. Lots of leg work and dead ends to find my first car but it was all worth it in the end. It will go to the grave with me this time around!
Wat-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
For whatever it's worth... I had a 'hot-rodded' Model A, in the 58 to 65 time period. Couple years ago, I tried (and succeeded) to track it down. So, it CAN be done. In my case, I had (have) the license plate number, and that was all. I have a law-enforcement friend with DMV connections, and that was the way I was able to get the name, address, and phone number of the current owner. The registered owner is deceased, and I talked to his son, in a neighboring state. He didn't sound like he was real happy that I was able to track him down. Amazingly, the vehicle still exists, it's been restored (stock), and the Calif plate that I had on it, is still with the car. The VIN has been changed from a Model A VIN, to a SBC engine number that I recognized because I was the one that put that engine in it. That engine is long=gone, and the current owner didn't even know what that was all about.
Good luck. I was lucky.
As a retired LEO that friend could have been fired for looking up that info and giving it to you. He seriously jeopardized his job to do that for you.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote