Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
old guy rich

Default Off topic a bit (garage)

Hi guys, I want to install a two post lift in my 24X24 prefab garage. The ceilling a-frames are 21" on center and the wall studs are 16" on center. Anyone know if I can modify and raise just one half of the garage ceiling. Add supports in all the right places for strength might work ?? Thanks, oldguy
old guy rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Off topic a bit (garage)

Do it right - hire a PRO to do it....You're "old".....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Joe31

You cannot legally cut prefab trusses. They are designed to work as a whole. Joe
Joe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
old guy rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Do it right - hire a PRO to do it....You're "old".....
Yup, you are right !! Thanks.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
old guy rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe31 View Post
You cannot legally cut prefab trusses. They are designed to work as a whole. Joe
You guys are right, don't know why I even thought about doing it. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
flatford8

You didn’t say your roof was framed with trusses.....but, the advice to have a knowledgeable person who understands the local building code have a look at what you want to do is good advice. If I can add something, if the car in your avatar is the one your lifting, buy a good quality lift and have it in stalled correctly......that ol’ girl looks heavy!..you’ll like the lift...I bought one five years ago after laying under cars for about forty years...it’s great!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
tubman

I hate to add to the pile, but your floor has to meet spec as well. I wanted a two post lift, but my garage floor wasn't thick enough. I had the choice of doing a bunch of floor work or going to a 4 post lift.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Speaking of lifts, spotted these on a Jay Leno show.
If only they were made for the home consumer at a reasonable price.
Don't have to be anchored to floor and probably take up less space than a four poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5Y34fUjlA

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 08-28-2018 at 04:17 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
edhd58

If your building uses clear span trusses yes you can raise one half of your garage. You have to simply ad height to the posts on the end of the garage you want raised to the middle and reset the trusses on the raised part of the garage. No you cant cut trusses but if you do this youre not cutting trusses, just raising them.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
RKS.PA

Agree with you, 51 MERC, so the set in the video is about $30K. Beautiful piece of machinery and love the portability!! Unfortunately, they cost more than my garage!!

I have a 4 post Quality lift that I love and am lucky to have at my age. It does not have to be anchored to the floor and doesn't more around at all....unless I want to move it with the wheel attachment that came with it. I was also lucky to have enough height to accommodate it!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
old guy rich

Thanks guys, I'm not going to modify my garage, only looking for trouble. Looking at the new type of lifts, might be the way to go. More research is needed by me. Again thanks. old guy. 75 years young today.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
old guy rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
You didn’t say your roof was framed with trusses.....but, the advice to have a knowledgeable person who understands the local building code have a look at what you want to do is good advice. If I can add something, if the car in your avatar is the one your lifting, buy a good quality lift and have it in stalled correctly......that ol’ girl looks heavy!..you’ll like the lift...I bought one five years ago after laying under cars for about forty years...it’s great!....Mark
flatford8, yes that is the car I'll be lifting most of the time. It is heavy and rides beautifully, I love it.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
flatford8

Happy Birthday young fella’ !!.....any more pics of the car?......good luck with your project!!!.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy rich View Post
Thanks guys, I'm not going to modify my garage, only looking for trouble. Looking at the new type of lifts, might be the way to go. More research is needed by me. Again thanks. old guy. 75 years young today.
I'm 76, and I have looked at the "new type lifts" and have decided that at my age, I can't do a decent job of working under the car if it's only 40"-48" off the ground. I am in the process of trying to find the most suitable 4 post lift that will allow me to stand up straight under the car at the best price. I figure I can always lower a car if it's too high.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #15
37 Cab

I have a two post lift in my shop. What I found was the posts on most lifts are 13 feet tall. My rafters are 12 feet. After a ton of shopping I went with the one in the link. 10 feet tall and 9000 lb. capacity. I can put my 1/2 ton dodge pick up on it and walk around under it even with the 12 foot ceiling height. I worked as a dealership tech all my adult life and vowed a long time ago to never be without one.

http://www.challengerlifts.com/products/clfp9/
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
51 MERC-CT

And for those with limited lift height maybe 'Human hoist' is the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaLBX5T060

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M6U-uNycS0
Old 08-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #17
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
And for those with limited lift height maybe 'Human hoist' is the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVaLBX5T060

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M6U-uNycS0
Is this thing rearing it's ugly head again? I remember everyone on the H.A.M.B getting all excited about it several years ago, but they never brought them to market and the interest waned. A comment in the second video quoted a price of $12,500. That's a lot of money to spend just so you can save $1000 by buying a cheaper, less capable lift.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #18
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I hate to add to the pile, but your floor has to meet spec as well. I wanted a two post lift, but my garage floor wasn't thick enough. I had the choice of doing a bunch of floor work or going to a 4 post lift.
I think you need at least a 6" slab for a two post. You could cut out a slab section and add a 12" slab or more if you really want a lift. Installers or the company you buy from can add what is code. But they won't, most likely, get involved if it's more complex then a simple install. But they will have specs.

Not sure totally that cutting engineered trusses is completely a no go (it's just wood, I'm sure a good stick frame carpenter could make it better). Most surely you'd be safe/legal by running the plans past a city board engineer and having some blueprints or drawing to show what you are doing, not real bad depending on where you live. Adding a beam across the structure will make it stronger, if supported correctly.

Basic Load spans. Check local codes. Not a light venture but very possible. http://www.southernpine.com/span-tab...ection-tables/

Might want to ask some questions here also. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Last edited by Tinker; 08-28-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #19
Drbrown

As an architect I can say that you should not alter the wood trusses. The size of their wood members and design of their metal joint connectors are designed by computers and made by companies to provide the MINIMUM and CHEAPEST results necessary to span a specified distance. Don't mess with them.

Yes, one can "raise" the trusses (with the roof) but must correspondingly increasing the height of the walls supporting them .... which requires carefully designed bracing.

And yes, the concrete floor slab must be adequate to support any concentrated loads placed on it.

So my thought is its all a lot simpler to add a new garage bay that can be properly built to accommodate a lift.

Definitely not as good but what about making a good old "pit" in your garage floor. Much cheaper. I worked in them in the '50s and together with a sliding jack, could do any kind of work there.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #20
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Speaking of lifts, spotted these on a Jay Leno show.
If only they were made for the home consumer at a reasonable price.
Don't have to be anchored to floor and probably take up less space than a four poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5Y34fUjlA
I worked for a tour bus company once, and that’s what we used to use to raise the buses upto work underneath. When you get under a bus with those it’s Pretty scary till you get to trust them.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote