Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
not that old

Default help with a oil filter

i have a 8BA motor and want to install a oil filter. i am not sure where to connect the discharge hose from the oil filter to the engine. any ideas?
not that old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: help with a oil filter

Oil pan? That is assuming a by-pass filter.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
19Fordy

This is from the 1949-51 Mercury Manual. Block is the same as the 8BA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4113b.jpg (104.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4109b.jpg (127.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4110b.jpg (113.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4112b.jpg (104.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4114b.jpg (74.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4115b.jpg (96.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4120b.jpg (60.5 KB, 14 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
19Fordy

Here's more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4121b.jpg (90.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4123b.jpg (67.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4124b.jpg (78.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4125b.jpg (116.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
19Fordy

Here's a photo of the two oil line holes in the 8BA block. here's video showing complete system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGUhMR2K2E and again
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...engine.937166/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6175b.jpg (55.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-12-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That looks like the fitting on the rear of the block where the oil pressure sender goes? Both of the holes go to the same place, the main oil passage. One fitting is of the oil pressure sender and the other one is for the supple line to the oil filter.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here are a couple of clearer drawings. The one with the color shows the oil main line connections as a fairly large red trapezoid near the side of the oil pump shaft. The oil return line is the green line near the center of the block/oil pan line. The other diagrams is an add-on system that had the return to the front cover, but you can see the rear fitting with the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure line to the filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Diagram.jpg (53.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Line Diagram.jpg (68.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
19Fordy

J: When I had the factory oil filter on my 8BA it was hooked up like the the filter and oil pressure sending unit with the "TEE" fitting shown in the first (RED) photo. The green oil return line from the bottom of the filter screwed into the other threaded hole near the bellhousing. There was no return line that attached to the pan. Thanks for posting better photos.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
J: When I had the factory oil filter on my 8BA it was hooked up like the the filter and oil pressure sending unit with the "TEE" fitting shown in the first (RED) photo. The green oil return line from the bottom of the filter screwed into the other threaded hole near the bellhousing. There was no return line that attached to the pan. Thanks for posting better photos.
If it was connected that way it was not working!! That would have both ends on the oil filter lines connected to each other. Those are just two holes into the same passage. The only way that will work is with what is often called a 95% filtration system, which involves adding an internal plug and drilling an additional hole. There is no way a by-pass system could work that way.

Another system was a military setup that was also a 95% type setup. The 95% modifications depend on the additional hole and a plug of some type in the oil passage.

There are three different locations that have been used for the filter return line that I am aware of: the fuel pump stand using a special drilled bolt, the front cover also using a drilled bolt and the oil pan area. Apparently some blocks had a provision in the block just above the oil pan and some oil pans had the fitting in the pan itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95oilplug.jpg (50.9 KB, 23 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 95 percent oil modification.pdf (213.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf oil system.pdf (804.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 08-12-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #10
scooder

The 8BA's that I've seen have the return in the block just above the pan rail.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:09 AM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
The 8BA's that I've seen have the return in the block just above the pan rail.
Martin.
Yes, indeed, as are all the ones that I have seen.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:54 AM   #12
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Oil pan? That is assuming a by-pass filter.
Quote:
This is from the 1949-51 Mercury Manual. Block is the same as the 8BA.
Quote:
Here's more info.
Quote:
Here's a photo of the two oil line holes in the 8BA block. here's video showing complete system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGUhMR2K2E and again
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...engine.937166/
Quote:
That looks like the fitting on the rear of the block where the oil pressure sender goes? Both of the holes go to the same place, the main oil passage. One fitting is of the oil pressure sender and the other one is for the supple line to the oil filter.
Quote:
Here are a couple of clearer drawings. The one with the color shows the oil main line connections as a fairly large red trapezoid near the side of the oil pump shaft. The oil return line is the green line near the center of the block/oil pan line. The other diagrams is an add-on system that had the return to the front cover, but you can see the rear fitting with the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure line to the filter.
Quote:
Quote:
If it was connected that way it was not working!! That would have both ends on the oil filter lines connected to each other. Those are just two holes into the same passage. The only way that will work is with what is often called a 95% filtration system, which involves adding an internal plug and drilling an additional hole. There is no way a by-pass system could work that way.

Another system was a military setup that was also a 95% type setup. The 95% modifications depend on the additional hole and a plug of some type in the oil passage.

There are three different locations that have been used for the filter return line that I am aware of: the fuel pump stand using a special drilled bolt, the front cover also using a drilled bolt and the oil pan area. Apparently some blocks had a provision in the block just above the oil pan and some oil pans had the fitting in the pan itself.
Having trouble figuring out how these responses answered such a simple question
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

They don't!

I am not expert on EVERY 8ba block and have no idea if they all have the return line hole in the block, but do know that the return line is the easiest to setup going back into the center of the oil pan. IF the block has the return port that would be the only logical place to connect it. I have seen engines with the return connection in the oil pan itself, but don't remember the block/engine years.

Was also address the implication that the two holes at the rear of the block could be used as an in and out connection point on a by-pass filter. Again, this was claimed for an 8ba block.

So, did ALL 8ba engines come from the factory with the oil return provision on the lower block rail as stated by Martin and 51 MERC-CT? I have always worked with 59a (or earlier) blocks.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-13-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #14
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
They don't!

I am not expert on EVERY 8ba block and have no idea if they all have the return line hole in the block, but do know that the return line is the easiest to setup going back into the center of the oil pan. IF the block has the return port that would be the only logical place to connect it. I have seen engines with the return connection in the oil pan itself, but don't remember the block/engine years.

Was also address the implication that the two holes at the rear of the block could be used as an in and out connection point on a by-pass filter. Again, this was claimed for an 8ba block.

So, did ALL 8ba engines come from the factory with the oil return provision on the lower block rail as stated by Martin and 51 MERC-CT? I have always worked with 59a (or earlier) blocks.

The answer to your question is yes all Ford and Mercury 8-BA blocks have the 1/8 inch pipe thread return hole as shown by 51 MERC -CT
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
The answer to your question is yes all Ford and Mercury 8-BA blocks have the 1/8 inch pipe thread return hole as shown by 51 MERC -CT
Then, that would be the obvious place for the return line LOL
Old 08-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
19Fordy

JSeery: You are 100% correct. I found the threaded oil return hole.
Thanks, JIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6176b.jpg (97.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #17
49r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
When I rebuilt my 8BA I assumed the return hold was to the pan (like my 81A engine) and bored a hole in the 8BA pan without thinking why there might not already be a factory hole for that purpose ...
So, I have the return line connected to the block as it should be and a plugged up hole in my pan - more thinking and less haste = more speed ...
49r is offline   Reply With Quote