Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default 3-Bolt Distributor Installation

I bought my ‘34 roadster in 1994 as a 60th birthday present for myself. The car was in non-running condition. The previous owner told me that he had “burned up” the original engine and installed a freshly rebuilt ’36 engine. He felt that he was gypped and suggested that I should look for another engine. When I got it home, I checked the compression, it measured close to 120 psi on all eight cylinders, so I decided to try to get it running.

I got frustrated trying to get the distributor working so I bought a new Mallory distributor from Patrick’s in Arizona. I installed this distributor and the engine fired right up. It has served me well for 27 years but now the distributor bushings have worn to where the points will not stay adjusted.
I plan to replace this distributor with the old 3-bolt original style one that I saved. A respected vendor on this forum repaired/rebuilt this distributor for me.

I also plan to use a coil adapter mounted on top of the distributor as the car has been converted to 12-volts/negative ground. I want to use the 12-volt, can-type, “no resistor required” coil which I have been using with the Mallory distributor. In addition, I want to use an Echlin IH200 condenser and original style sparkplug wires purchased from 3rd-Gen.

The hood, generator fan and wire looms are removed. I have “test” mounted the distributor on the engine.

Now I am asking for advice on how to proceed. What is the best (most efficient) sequence to hook up the wiring etc.? I am guessing that I need to unmount the distributor first. Any step-by-step recommendations from others who have done this would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Robert.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: 3-Bolt Distributor Installation

Do you have the wires placed in the caps for the three bolt ,fit the condenser to the adapter then place that on with the wire connected to the neg side of the coil ,from the switch bring the wire to the coil + side ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 07-23-2021 at 04:34 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
tubman

In non-standard situations like this, remember that the condenser lead does not necessarily have to go to the terminal on the distributor like it usually does. You can hook it up to the proper terminal on the coil, if that works better. (The one the wire from the distributor connects to.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
Robert/Texas

Thanks Ted and Tubman.

I believe that I have the condenser wired up correctly as the instructions that came with the new coil adapter I bought shows how. I like the idea of a coil mounted condenser and might try that instead.

Whenever I removed and replaced the Mallory distributor, it was quite easy. With the distributor on the car, I removed the distributor cap with the sparkplug wires and wire looms attached. I reattached everything the same way after removing, servicing, and reinstalling the unit. I don’t think that it will be that easy with an original style distributor.

Two friends from our car club said that they will help me. A few years ago, I would not have asked them but I’m getting some age-related problems and now need some help.

Again, any suggestions to make this easier for us will be much appreciated.

Thanks again, Robert.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

Two friends from our car club said that they will help me. A few years ago, I would not have asked them but I’m getting some age-related problems and now need some help.

I know how you feel, Robert.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
Robert/Texas

Lawson, I still try to do everything I can though.

I was trying to assemble the distributor on my workbench and ran into an unexpected problem. On the passenger side of the distributor the inside and outside distributor caps are damaged where the nibs and detents that prevent them from turning are located. I assume that they may have come loose, and resulting spinning damaged them. I found that 3rd Gen has some and so I ordered them for both sides.

Robert
Old 07-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Robert/Texas

Alas, success.

Friday, I picked up my daughter and great grandson who live in the Houston area about 100 miles away and brought them here to my place. We started assembling everything on the kitchen counter. (It is scorching hot here.) This worked out well as we could orient everything on the counter while doing the assembly. Pushing the sparkplug wires through the wire looms worked best by pushing the shortest wires in first. I am using the early type of sparkplug wires, so we tied their ends together with baling wire to keep them from being pulled out of the looms.

My son-in-law came that evening so he could help us mount the distributor the next day. We followed the method that someone earlier on this forum suggested by mounting it loosely with the three bolts and then turning the rotor inside the distributor until it mated correctly and tightening them. Thanks to whoever that was.

After correcting several mistakes, the engine fired right and sounded great, so my son-in-law reinstalled the generator and fan and we took it for a test drive. I am really pleased with how well it performed and owe more thanks do the man who repaired/rebuilt it.

This morning we reinstalled the hood so now it is ready for a longer drive when it gets cooler.

Thanks for all help and support, Robert.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #8
Ramjet47

I refer to Mr Tubman’s post regarding the placement of the condenser. I am under the impression that the length of the condenser pig tail effects the capacitance value of the condenser. As the condenser on a helmet or crab is a bit difficult to change especially when the engine is hot, read on the side of the road, being able to mount the condenser next to a remote coil would be a bonus. Is there any distance away from the points location which would be detrimental to the operation of the condenser?
Ramjet47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet47 View Post
I refer to Mr Tubman’s post regarding the placement of the condenser. I am under the impression that the length of the condenser pig tail effects the capacitance value of the condenser. As the condenser on a helmet or crab is a bit difficult to change especially when the engine is hot, read on the side of the road, being able to mount the condenser next to a remote coil would be a bonus. Is there any distance away from the points location which would be detrimental to the operation of the condenser?
It is unlikely the length of the wire to the condenser will affect the operation with any standard availabe coil.
If you had one of Tubman's condensers you would not have to worry about replacing one.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #10
koates

Robert, just goes to show that original Ford flathead twin point set distributors are the best you can have if set up correctly. You dont need any electronic crap. I prefer the original helmet type with the coil on top for early V8 cars. A beautifully made unit. Enjoy your great 1934 Ford V8. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It is unlikely the length of the wire to the condenser will affect the operation with any standard available coil.

I agree with this.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:45 PM   #12
Tinker

If this is original 3 bolt dizzy, it's much easier to install it from under the vehicle then from the top. Unbolt it turn it 90 degrees and pull it down through. Repeat in reverse... for stock dizzys.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote