Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #41
Anteek29

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

Oh yes, AND picking up Rumble Seat Babes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Sweets.jpg (73.9 KB, 23 views)
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #42
Bill G

My wife and I have wanted one for the last 40 years. Education, raising a family and other of life's situations just plain got in the way. It's a shame that I think I hear the same story over and over again that we need to get the things that are important to the raising of a family out of the way first, and then by the time we can afford one, we get a little sore (understatement) working on them.

Anyway, we have gone to many car shows over the years and drooled over them. I also remember one time when I was a teen, and my dad was offered a Model A in exchange for some legal work he had done for a client. We went and looked it over and I was really urging him to go for it. Well, he turned it down, and I have wanted one ever since.

Fast forward to May of this year. One was for sale locally and I jumped at it. One other person was there to scoop it up, but I was first in line, so I just jumped. Up until then I had not even driven one. It's been a lot of fun.

Recently, I have done a complete brake job. New linings, new drums, bearings, new this, new that, and this has been a real treat. I formerly had a 65 Mustang and other than the mechanical versus hydraulic way of activating the brakes. the technology is pretty much the same, so at least that was not new territory.

I am looking forward to many more hours behind the wheel as opposed to under the car!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #43
Tinbasher

In 1967 I was 13 and on vacation with my family. we stopped in a car museum in P.E.I. and some of the cars where just coming back from a parade in town. This blue 1930 Model A Coupe drove by me and that was it. Had to have one. Something about the sound of a A running does it to me. So now I have a 28 Sport Coupe. Only one but a good one.
John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #44
al's28/33

I always loved old cars not modern hot rods or muscle cars. When I had the money saved I got my Phaeton, then had to have an early V8 as a mate, why not a pickup!

Someday a Model T roadster will be part of the family.....someday.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #45
Chris H

I have always been attracted to antique cars. My dad always said that we would buy a Model T "some day". Well that "some day" never came. I have looked at Model T's and Model A's at car shows and just liked the look of the A's over the T's. Besides someone gave me a Model of a Model A Ford as a kid, so I figured I had a little experience putting one together. LOL!

The funny part is; that I am NOT a Ford guy. Never liked them, but I do like the Model A! I have always wanted a Packard, but can't afford it. After my dad died, it just seamed right to buy the Model A with some of my inheritance from him. It isn't the Model T that he always wanted, but I think he would approve.

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #46
J Wade

Always wanted one and one night I was on eBay while drinking a few cold ones. Before I knew it I was high bidder. When I Told my wife and she was ok with it and asked where it was. I had to go look, because I didn't know. Long way from San Angelo Texas to north of Moorcroft Wyoming. Hooked up the trailer and headed north. I'm very pleased with it.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #47
Lona

Seems like many of us got hooked on Model A's when we were very young even though we may not have bought our first one until we were much older or retired. One way to continue the hobby is to get today's youngsters interested.... if we could only get the electronics away from them first.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 AM   #48
Maclab58

When I was 3 my neighbors had a coupe they had bought new and he would take me with him to the store. I'm 59 now and have a 31 slant window cabriolet and a E28 sport coupe. It's an addiction to say the least as I have owned 3 others as well.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #49
aford193031

I have my grandpa's model a. That is them in my avatar. Life got in the way of finishing the restoration. I still have it but on jack stands. I got to get it running again and worry about finishing the body later. I just want to get it driving again even if "it don't look too good".
aford193031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #50
Jeff/Illinois

A guy down the street had a '29 Fordor, Vagabond Green. When he'd drive by and honk I'd think 'wow' what a neat old car. I was about 6 years old then. Pop had a '29 Roadster as a teenager and also half owner of a '30 Roadster with a high school buddy and talked about those cars a lot and also his Flathead Fords. Another neighbor always had Model A's and his daughter drove a '30 Coupe to school. By that time I was around 11. There were maybe 8-9 Model A Fords in the small town I live in all owned by WWII vets!

So I guess I have a connection with my Dad's generation and the Model A's they loved. They are just fun little cars.

Pop helped me get my '29 Tudor in 1971, about three weeks before I turned 17. Had that car as a senior in H.S. Been around 'em ever since.

And, they really don't take up much room in the garage
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote