Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Seattledavid

Default 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Generator getting hot

I have a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe and the Generator got so hot I couldn’t hardly touch it and then it started smelling and then started smoking. I replaced it with a rebuilt generator but it still seems to be getting hot so I stopped driving the car. Any idea what is causing the generator to get hot?? Could it be the voltage regulator ??

Dave
Seattledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Generator getting hot

How many amps is it charging??
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Seattledavid

How do I test the amps it is charging??
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
51woodie

If it is connected/working, the ammeter on the dash will give you and indication of charge/discharge. If a generator is over/under charging, the issue is often with the regulator.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Seattledavid

Everything appears to be normal on the gauge but the generator gets very hot. I’m going to look at the regulator and see if it looks stuck.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
51woodie

Did you polarize the new generator? Do a search for polarize, and you should get lots of information.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
flathead48

To polarize unhook the field wire from regulator and quickly touch it to the battery post of regulator, do not use jumper wire.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Seattledavid

Ok I polarized the voltage regulator after I took it out of the car and looked at it to see if anything appeared to be stuck or the contacts burned and everything looked good so Input it back in and started the car. Drove it around for about 20 minutes and when I got back the generator was hot enough where I could not leave my hand on it. Is that normal?? Or is it getting too hot? I did not smell anything burning and no smoke.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
flathead48

Did you polarize the generator after you hooked up the regulator. The generator has to be polarize-not the regulator. It is done as in post 7
Old 10-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #10
flathead48

You also want to be sure the generator ground wire to the regulator has good connections and your regulator has good ground to the firewall. Sometimes those mounting screws are not enough to properly ground the regulator.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Seattledavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
Did you polarize the generator after you hooked up the regulator. The generator has to be polarize-not the regulator. It is done as in post 7
Sorry I am confused. #7 talks about the regulator being polarized. How do you do the generator??

Dave
Old 10-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
Seattledavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
You also want to be sure the generator ground wire to the regulator has good connections and your regulator has good ground to the firewall. Sometimes those mounting screws are not enough to properly ground the regulator.
Ok I will check on this. Also isn’t polarizing only needed if the generator is not charging?? Mine does charge. It just gets hot and I have no idea why.

Dave
Old 10-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
wga

Ampless in Seattle -
Re read your first post - since the generator is 'rebuilt' / new, what is the condition of the regulator? Remove the cover, and see if there if the points from A terminal are fused, or show traces of arcing.

what is the battery voltage not running? With the engine idling, what is the battery voltage? If the generator is good, remove the ground cable while the engine is running, does it continue to run?
To polarize the generator, at the voltage regulator, use a jumper wire with at least one end that has an alligator clip attached. Use the clip end to attach to the B or battery voltage connection at the regulator. Touch the other end to the F field wire terminal (this wire goes to the field connection on the generator). A brief 1 second touch is all it takes. Disconnect the clips. That should do the polarizing.

there is a plethora of info on generators on Youtube. Does not make a difference if the system is positive or negative ground. 12V or 6V or 8V. Volts and amps.

Do you have a volt - ohm meter? If not get one at an auto parts or Home Depot, along with a length of 16 gauge stranded wire, and a couple of clips.

Another thought does the battery have water in it?

Last edited by wga; 10-18-2020 at 07:37 PM.
wga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #14
Seattledavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Ampless in Seattle -
Re read your first post - since the generator is 'rebuilt' / new, what is the condition of the regulator? Remove the cover, and see if there if the points from A terminal are fused, or show traces of arcing.

what is the battery voltage not running? With the engine idling, what is the battery voltage? If the generator is good, remove the ground cable while the engine is running, does it continue to run?
To polarize the generator, at the voltage regulator, use a jumper wire with at least one end that has an alligator clip attached. Use the clip end to attach to the B or battery voltage connection at the regulator. Touch the other end to the F field wire terminal (this wire goes to the field connection on the generator). A brief 1 second touch is all it takes. Disconnect the clips. That should do the polarizing.

there is a plethora of info on generators on Youtube. Does not make a difference if the system is positive or negative ground. 12V or 6V or 8V. Volts and amps.

Do you have a volt - ohm meter? If not get one at an auto parts or Home Depot, along with a length of 16 gauge stranded wire, and a couple of clips.

Another thought does the battery have water in it?

Regulator looked good to me. Nothing fused or arced. Voltage not running is 6. I will have to find the voltage running at idle in the morning. When you said to remove the ground cable are you referring to the battery cable??

I do have an ohm meter and my battery is sealed.

Dave
Old 10-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If the voltage not running is 6v and it is a charged battery, something may not be correct with the battery. Voltage should be in the 6.3 to 6.4 volt range not running and in the 7.2 to 7.3v range running (above idle).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #16
big job

sometimes a sulfate'd battery will give false readings but sometimes it will be internal
grounded causing the generator to max out and heat up>thats a maybe. Mine got hot
and it was bad bearing mainly the front one that takes the beating. I replaced that one
I think the bearing is the same as clutch pilot bearing. Heat does travel so the whole
thing gets hot. I myself has no luck with these new junk batterys. We have about 60
junk batterys all turned to junk when the date expired. They all will be gone for Christmas money........
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #17
40ford

I had the same problem with generator getting hot and I took it off and had checked and they found nothing wrong with it.I t was because I had not polarized it correctly.I re-installed,polarized and no more problems.
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #18
Seattledavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ford View Post
I had the same problem with generator getting hot and I took it off and had checked and they found nothing wrong with it.I t was because I had not polarized it correctly.I re-installed,polarized and no more problems.
What did you do to polarize it correctly??

Dave
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
1931 flamingo

"To polarize unhook the field wire from regulator and quickly touch it to the battery post of regulator, do not use jumper wire.:

Is this done with the engine running??, stopped with ignition off??, or stopped with ignition on??, and why can't you "jump" it??

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #20
rotorwrench

Polarization of the generator field pole shoes is necessary to get the gen to start generating after engine starts. A DC voltage applied to the field coils is what gives the residual magnetism to the shoes in there. This is why you disconnect the field wire from the regulator before momentarily touching it to the Bat terminal. This makes sure the north and south magnetic poles are aligned with the negative power side of the battery on a positive ground system.

The same principal is used to magnetize parts for Magnaflux inspections utilizing a DC voltage through a large coil of wire. Then to demagnetize, an AC coil is used to take the magnetic gause back out of the part.

If the generator is still getting hot after proper polarization then it's time to either replace the voltage regulator or have it tested by qualified electrical repairman. If it checks OK then it's time to look for a big short somewhere that isn't showing up through blown fuses or the like. A generator will get hot if it is charging at a higher than normal rate. A person has to find out why it's doing that. The battery should be tested by high rate discharge if possible. This will tell a person if it has enough capacity or if it is shorting out internally.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote