Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2022, 05:07 AM   #1201
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy 1931 Model A View Post
You can see the video of this lovely stunt: on YouTube, see "American Grafffiti rear axle"
Hi Billy. I've been to the site you write about. There are many clips there. Is there one in particular you have in mind? Maybe you could post a link. Cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:30 AM   #1202
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Hi Billy. I've been to the site you write about. There are many clips there. Is there one in particular you have in mind? Maybe you could post a link. Cheers, gary

I think it's this?

http://youtu.be/CgZTVkjQwto?t=168
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:11 PM   #1203
woofa.express

Wasteful disposal. Items I find at the rubbish tip.

I am not too proud to pick up items that are disposed of at our local rubbish tip. At times my wife Patsy says I bring home more than I take. From this trash I have built numerous tables and bench seats from timber 7 x 2inch which was tossed when some holiday homes were inundated and rebuilt after the river flooded.
I bought home a nursing/hospital chair which was disposed for no good reason. Beneath the seat, written in texter, is the name Edna Brown. Edna lived in the neighbourhood and passed more than 10 years ago. I built a small shed, again with scrap, to house this very comfortable chair. On the roof I had painted Edna’s shed. This is all in a tranquil part of our yard amongst the River Red Gums plus the native shrubs I have planted. It is completely obscured from outside sticky beaks.
Now Edna was a spirited old lady. At 80 she had both her hips replaced and commented to the doctor that walking was still difficult. He told her that her knees were badly worn so she demanded they too be replaced. Then she started walking again. I reckon her dog, which was also aged was a bit exasperated by it all. Edna finally went into a nursing home and I regularly took her a flagon of sweet sherry. When I commented she was going through it rather quickly she said she didn’t drink, but the nursing staff came at night for a tipple.
But I have gotten away from the point of this story haven’t I. Yes. A buddy of mine turned up with a postie bike. It looked good and appealed to me; this handy 110cc Honda. I mentioned this to my friend Mark who said his brother in law had two in a shed. These were purchased from Australia Post when they had done their time which is usually 40,000 km (24K miles). Brother in Law bought them for his kids to ride on his dude farm but they were never used and simply took up room in his shed. He was considering taking them to the rubbish tip. You can well guess the subject of my next story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 06.09.25.jpg (19.6 KB, 17 views)

Old 03-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #1204
woofa.express

Welcome Hatty.
Well we picked up these postie bikes as in the picture. They were given to my friend Mark by a relative who had no further use for them.
So the postie bikes are now home. Mark has had one running. They have been idle for 15 years. It shan’t be long before they are fully cleaned up and made roadworthy. This is exciting for both of us, this postie bike. A useful tool and a fun machine. My friend with one tells me it costs one dollar per month to fuel it. They have become trendy in Australia with many clubs or associations being formed. Some take long trips. My friend Steve rode one from his town of Wee Waa to West Australia and return. Twenty four hundred miles each way, and the most direct way. All on this 110 cc (6.7 cubic inch) Honda.
Both Mark and myself have named each of these bikes. You all know my Model A’s are named Woofa Express, Olive and Old Chocolate. I would name this after my youngest grandchild whose name is Herriot but Mark has a classic Honda motor bike with that name. Herriot, (granddaughter), is addressed as Hatty so that’s what it is to be named. No, my ute, “Woofa Express” has not being delegated to second place. It remains top dog in the kennel.
And quite beside the point the world is approaching equinox. Our daily temperatures have now moderated. In the south east our tops are about 30C and nights in high teens (85F / 65F). This is a welcome relief and readers in the northern hemisphere will welcome their approaching warmer temperatures. Our autumn (fall) is a time in Australia when many motoring events occur. The weather is moderate, still with clear skies.

The screen shot of the two bikes on my ute failed

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 05.34.23.jpg (15.5 KB, 8 views)

Old 03-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #1205
woofa.express

An update on the Postie Bikes.

These bikes have driven only 24K kilometres and that’s less than 15K miles. Even though they are in excellent condition they never the less do require some maintenance and tiding up. There is corrosion on the chrome parts and this includes the carry frame behind the rider. My friend Mark has done the mechanical work which he seems to enjoy and I have been the gofer acquiring necessary parts.
One thing had stumped Mark. He can’t get them to run more than a few seconds. He called another Postie Bike owner who informed him of a strange phenomena- the carry platform behind the rider must be insitu before the engine will run. This is because it provides some degree of “continuous choke” as it partly obstructs the intake air. The picture below is not one of our bikes but serves as an illustration of the carry tray in question.
I expect these bikes will be up and running and ready for roadworthy in a few days. Getting quite excited about it.
And a story quite unrelated to postie bikes or indeed any thing mechanical. Many of those who live near the coast and specifically surf coasts enjoy surfing. Is this in the picture below a unique to Australia??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 04.32.21.jpg (21.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 09.39.12.jpg (18.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 03-22-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #1206
woofa.express

Postie Bikes close to going, I’ll do story on them when they are, maybe in about a week.

But first I must write about a frightening and tearful incident had by my wife Patsy.
She stopped at a service station in northern Victoria to refuel. She was robbed and so called the police. They arrived after only a short time. She was shaking and all she could say was that she had been robbed. When they had her all settled they asked if she knew who the thief was. Yes she said, it was bowser number five.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 11.29.35.jpg (20.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 11.31.46.jpg (9.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 04-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #1207
Rckjone
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I have ookbeen an old car nut always and have always noticed the old hulks hiding in the weeds and barn when no one with ever sees a thing. 40 Years ago when I was around 20, I found a farmers scrap yard in northern Wisconsin. It was along a fence line in a low area that looks like it would collect water. Everyone in the area would give him their stuff to get rid of. I walked back in there and mentally noted at least 20 restorable cars along with parts of another 10. They were mostly fords 20s, 30s, and 40s. When my son was around 20, we went back to the same area and it appeared to be all gone from the road. In reality the tree line had grown up all around it to almost completely cover the area. We walked back up in there and the treasure is still mostly there! There are two stock cars, a 41 ford coupe and a 39 ford Coupe both with the steel cages and roll bars and still having there flathead V8 intact. They both have advertising on them and the pit crews and drivers name painted on with a brush! Cant find anyone that lives within 5 miles of the spot that admits they owns this stash !! !!!
Like to hear that one Mate
Rckjone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:04 AM   #1208
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckjone View Post
Like to hear that one Mate

Hi Rckjone. if you return to that spot and load one on the back of a truck you will find the owner rather quickly.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:30 PM   #1209
catsailr

I first drove an A Model when I was 16. A friend at the lake had one and let me drive it around the area. I was stopped at a stop sign and the exhaust pipe fell from the manifold. The engine backfired and started burning. Luckily, a woman came running from her cabin with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. I attached the exhaust pipe and kept driving.
catsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #1210
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsailr View Post
I first drove an A Model when I was 16. A friend at the lake had one and let me drive it around the area. I was stopped at a stop sign and the exhaust pipe fell from the manifold. The engine backfired and started burning. Luckily, a woman came running from her cabin with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. I attached the exhaust pipe and kept driving.
Hi catsailr. I see you are a junior member so welcome. Do keep writing, I'm sure you have some interesting stories to tell. Do tell us about yourself on the Public View page. Boogie man won't come for you because you reveal more of yourself. cheers, gary

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-09-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #1211
woofa.express

Postie Bike now on the Road.

My postie bike is now registered, mostly goes well except gear change up is tight and a seal in the front fork is leaking. Only minor repairs and adjustments are needed. Has now travelled quite a few miles, mostly been ridden by grandkids. I’ll get a go when they return to Brisbane where they go to school. Their dad works out of Hong Kong but is back here in Australia at this time, on holiday. Has only seen his family twice in last two years due to quarantine (covid) requirements. His name is Michael ( we call him Moo) and I had him come to a small wood work group of which I am a participant, and give a talk about his flying. One aspect was most interesting (and I think to you readers as well) and that flying Honkers to New York. One would think he’d take a basically eastern heading but no, it’s mainly northerly. Fly north to the Artic, like the top of the globe then southerly to New York. Other unusual aspects that were interesting were continually changing variation ( the difference between true and magnetic directions) along with being out of contact with the rest of the world. Sixteen hours chock to chock (pilots tend to talk chock to chock because that is the time for which they are paid). Previously an Airbus 330 now an Airbus 350. But typical Gary has drifted away from the story hasn’t he.
Back to the Postie Bike. One in good condition is worth 2K-3K. I think other motorbikes present better value but postie bikes have become trendy, even cult groups have been formed. The reason I figure is the Australian Postal Service uses them for urban postal delivery and have disposed of large numbers rather cheaply thus putting them in financial reach of almost everyone. Two found by my friend Mark, you might say a barn find. Didn’t pay a great deal for them. I acquired mine (gifted) simply by been a friend of Mark’s.
Mark has a classic Honda which he has named Harriet. That is what I was intending to name mine after my youngest grandchild but have changed the name to Harriet’s nick name: Hattie.
I’ll include a photo. Gary in foreground shading eyes and Mark behind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 03.38.18.jpg (20.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-11-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #1212
Jim Brierley

Gooday Gary my regards and condolences to Patsy! Such things can be very traumatizing.
On the happy side, we drove my late '31 pickup Henry to a Club meeting on Sat., a trip of about 70 miles each way, kilos ??? It ran like a top, didn't drink water or oil, weather was nice, about 85* F. Henry hasn't been used much after my stroke in '13, so it felt really great to exercise him again!
Jim B
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:55 PM   #1213
woofa.express

[I]A Country Kid in London.

It was years ago and my wife Patsy and I were in London and I needed another port (suitcase). I caught a taxi from our hotel and asked the driver to take me to a department store. As we drove he pointed out “Harrods”. I asked what this Harrods was and was told a department store so I asked to be let out there. I looked at a simple canvas type port which was expensive and the sales man pointed out to me it had real bullocks hide sown around the ribs. I told him I killed a bullock each week and didn’t bother taking the hide which had no value to me. Next day I decided to have a haircut and it was again suggested Harrods would be the place, down in the basement. I had this haircut and the barber followed me to the cash register continuing to ask if I was pleased. Of course he was wanting a tip and uninformed little ol me hadn’t understood. Tipping is not a custom in Australia and we are renowned for being miserable. No, we are not, but it is a practise one ever considers. We have by law a minimum wage, copied and pasted below.

The national minimum wage is $772.60 per week, for a 38 hour week, or $20.33 per hour.
[
/I]
However I recall Patsy paying a cap driver and the money she paid was three pence more than the fare. Patsy told the driver he could keep it and he told her that in England three pence was insufficient to pay a kid. Patsy leaned back through the window, said okay and took the three pence from the palm of his hand.
Traditional London cabs are sort of odd vehicles. They were painted black but when I was last there, and that’s not recent, I notice some are now white. Some small changes were also made to the body design. They are high in the passenger compartment so as to allow gentlemen to wear top hats. Specs of these vehicle are listed below, acquired from the internet. Fuel consumption is relatively low considering the slow speed they make and very frequent stopping. Again copied and pasted.

• 2014 Geely TX4 'London Taxi' pricing and specifications: Price: $TBA (circa $55,000)
• Engine: 2.5-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel.
• Output: 75kW/240Nm.
• Transmission: Five-speed automatic.
• Fuel: 8.8L/100km (NEDC Combined)

This $TBA had me tossed so again I went to the internet. It is “ten pin bowling Australia” but otherwise “price to be announced”. All a little odd and I would assume the dollar amount is USD.
This NEDC. It relates to fuel consumption but seems to pertain to boating. Maybe one of you readers may know?

Pictures are a London cab, a London gentleman in top hat, a London gentleman without top hat, and little ol Gary at home.

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-14-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #1214
katy

Quote:
This NEDC. It relates to fuel consumption but seems to pertain to boating. Maybe one of you readers may know?
Try this: https://www.google.com/search?q=What...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-15-2022, 05:49 PM   #1215
woofa.express

yes, Katy did know. Good on you Katy. Here it is below.

The abbreviation NEDC stands for "New European Driving Cycle" and refers to exhaust emissions and fuel consumption measurements carried out on a test rig. With effect from September 1, 2017, this test method has been replaced by the WLTP cycle throughout Europe.

Well what does WLTP stand for. Again below -from the internet, not from my head.
Under conditions defined by EU law, the Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) laboratory test is used to measure fuel consumption and CO2 emissions from passenger cars, as well as their pollutant emissions.

All good information. If you are a nerd that is. And no Katy, I know you're not.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #1216
woofa.express

Oh how we improvised.

This story was prompted by Jim Brierley’s book followed by a comment about me by my sister. She said, to the effect, like father, like son.
I grew up on a dairy farm. One that needed to be bought into production from its swampy- flax growing former times. I can well remember these big flax plants being pushed over then cultivated again and again before being sown to pasture. Today it would be much easier with a dose of good herbicide.
Our transport around the farm was an International W4 tractor (like Mike Peters avatar) which had poor steering- one third of a steering wheel turn of slop. Dad said the kingpins needed replacement. I didn’t have a clue what kingpins were. Now I wonder why they weren’t repaired or replaced. No money I guess. The trailer had a wooden tray with sides about 12 inches high and it ran on rather large tyres which Dad called balloon tyres. Infact they came from a Mustang fighter and so did about 18 canopies Granddad had in his garden to cover and protect tomatoes from early frosts. Today every aeroplane enthusiast would be horrified at the trashing of these successful and beautifully appealing fighter aeroplanes. To couple the trailer to the tractor we used an unusual pin. It was rather short and had a square shaft to go through the round holes in the draw bar and trailer? It wasn’t until I turned 20 or even later I learned these pins were old railway spikes use to secure the steel rails to the wooden sleepers. We had boxes full of them. Dad would buy them at clearing sales. He was a terror at buying sundries. The clearing sale would always launch with boxes of “sundries” and before the auctioneer would begin he would ask “is Harold here?, we can’t start without him”. Harold being Dad. Dad said he needed to make such purchases because he would often find something handy in those boxes which only needed only a simple repair. That never happened of course. More and more sundries would be stacked in our garage untill mum would pack them in the boot of our car, take them to the bridge which crossed the nearby river and chuck them. They were never missed.
When I finished school I worked in a paper producing plant to save and pay for my flying lessons. I never did miss dairy cows. My farm upbringing taught me many things. To improvise- learned from Dad. To think clearly. To handle machinery; tractors, front end loaders, hay mowers (sickle bars) and to spread fertilizer. We did two ton a day, between milkings. (Compare that with more than 170 ton a day I later spread with aeroplanes- turbines). It was all good training for flying. After all an aeroplane is simply another machine.
And to improvise. Today much of what I need for my yard or work-shop can be acquired for naught. Good working and sometimes expensive equipment can be found discarded at our town rubbish tip. When I was a kid all I wanted was a bicycle but today and a large range can be found at this very place. What a change in attitude in just one generation.
What prompted this story? Well it was reading the introduction in Jim Brierley’s book. I thought we had it tough, well that was until I read Jim's book. Jim grew up in times much harder than mine. Do read about this in his book. which is about the mechanics and repairs of the prettiest and possibility the most simple motor car ever built of course. That's the Model A of course!

Old 04-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #1217
woofa.express

The Principality of Hutt River.

Here is a story of a farmer with a grievance towards the West Australian government’s wheat production quotas. This quota which was intended so as to avoid a pool of unsold cereal. So he, the farmer, Leonard Casley, declared his property a principality and himself as the Prince; Prince Leonard. His property Hutt River as it was called, until it became the Principality of Hutt River (and then commonly referred to as Hutt River Provence) 18.5 thousand acres. It was situated in West Australia about 300 miles nor nor east of Perth in the proximity of Geraldton. This was newsworthy at the time and remained so, both here and abroad.
What procedures did the Prince pursue to legitimise his claim? Initially through the Courts of the Commonwealth of Australia (now referred to as the Commonwealth). and eventually to the Privy Council which is the highest court in the British Commonwealth. The Prince was granted sovereignty of title because the Australian government didn’t turn up and challenge. The Commonwealth then changed the law on disputes. Privy Council appeal can be taken now only if permission is granted by the high court.
The Prince did receive correspondence from some high government sauces (don’t think that is spelt correctly) in his time. One time the Governor General addressed correspondence to “The Administrator of the Principality” Leonard and Shirley Casley.
Another was from Buckingham Palace. He receive a letter from Buckingham palace addressed to Prince Leonard. The Queen responded to good wishes from Leonard on the event of her 90th birthday.
Governments world-wide communicated with the Prince. From 1984 to 2010 28 countries exchanged 120 cables.
Prince Leonard abdicated to his son Graeme in 2017 and died in 2019 aged 93. Son Graeme became Prince until 2020 when the Provence was absorbed back into the Commonwealth of Australia. It had lasted more than 50 years.
Hutt River Provence generated considerable income from outside farming. It was a tourist attraction. It had its own currency and issued passports under the Prince’s authority. I don’t think too many took it all to seriously. Well wheat quotas were abolished in time- probably not as a result of this one man’s stand. Yes, governments are bullies and I admire the Prince for standing up to them.
There are other principalities in Australia, none I believe are related to Hutt River Provence, here they are (from Wikipedia.) Australia has been home to more than a dozen different micronations, among the most in the world, including the Sovereign State of Aeterna Lucina and the Province of Bumbunga.
First picture is Prince Leonard. Second picture is, (riding in the motorcar) Prince George the second. The third is a monetary note from (Wikipedia) John Rudge who calls himself the Grand Juke of Avram. There is also the Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands which was established as a symbolic political protest over the perceived lack of action around same-sex marriage. There are apparently several dozen more in Australia. There is one of 4 acres north of Adelaide, South. Australia.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 20.21.14.jpg (16.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 07.25.33.jpg (20.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 07.28.18.jpg (21.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-24-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:47 PM   #1218
woofa.express

Michael Hastings, farmer Jerilderie NSW. Don't miss this one: it's a beauty.

The McCaughey institute is a rice research station at Jerilderie NSW. It was one of many properties on which I aerial sowed rice. The farmer would help with the handling and loading of this pregerminated seed. The farmer in this story was Michael Hastings, a pleasant fellow you couldn’t help but like. End of chapter 1.

Now to England, the royal family. Did you ever see an English TV presenter by the name of Tony Robinson? He would appear so frequently one would think he was the only presenter they ever had. One program Robinson conducted was on the royal family’s history. Their ancestor, King Edward 1V was illegitimate. This is according to historical documents held at museums which were made available to Robinson for this documentary. At the time of the Edwards conception it shows the King was absent, away at war and the child was born some 11 months later (April 1442). His biological father was said to be the Queen’s close friend- an archer.

From Wikipedia-
“The monarchy rests entirely on blood and inheritance ‒ there’s an absolutely rigid system for passing on the throne.
“The chain of power and wealth and privilege depends on two rules ‒ one, you have to be of the royal bloodline, and two you have to be born legitimate.
“But what happens if the system goes wrong? If the chain gets broken?
“500 years ago, that’s exactly what happened.
“Edward IV was king but his claim to the throne was fatally flawed.”
Mr Robinson claimed that Edward who reigned as King between March 4 1461 and October 3 1470 was not conceived by his royal father Richard, Duke of York, but by an archer.

Robinson flew from the U.K. to Jerilderie to interview Michael Hastings. Michael was an English immigrant with a title. He was infact “The Right Honourable The Earl of Loudoun”. But when he saw the documents and his family history chart which were in Robinson’s possession he knew his correct place. He was in-fact the King of England. He said the locals had ribbed him enough simply for being a pom and a titled pom just made it worse. However when the community learned of his newly found title he became a celebrity. It put this small community of 1,100 people on the world stage and they loved that.

Michael enjoyed living in Jerilderie and had no interest in retuning to England to make a claim. He thinks Australia should ditch the ties and obligations to Britain and become a republic.

Michael died in 2012 aged only 69. His wife had died a little earlier. They had a son and two daughters none whom I have met. The son is now entitled to his dad’s title. He is a shearer; wouldn’t that make the poms indignant.

Here below is the link to the show. It is both excellent and entertaining and runs for 48 minutes. The picture is of Michael on the right and Robinson on the left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVzDf-KhXU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 07.36.03.jpg (14.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 05-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #1219
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Postie Bikes close to going, I’ll do story on them when they are, maybe in about a week.

But first I must write about a frightening and tearful incident had by my wife Patsy.
She stopped at a service station in northern Victoria to refuel. She was robbed and so called the police. They arrived after only a short time. She was shaking and all she could say was that she had been robbed. When they had her all settled they asked if she knew who the thief was. Yes she said, it was bowser number five.
Is "bowser" Australian for gas pump?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #1220
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Is "bowser" Australian for gas pump?
Good morning 40 Deluxe. Yes a Bowser is a gas pump. I am currently compiling some information on such and I will submit in a few days. cheers, gary