Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
Kube

Default Fuel tank dipping & sealing opinions welcome

Guys, just removed the tank from my '31 Buick I'd restored 23 years ago. The car has been in cold storage with fuel in the tank for the past 16 years.
The tank was, during restoration, acid dipped (Strip Rite) and sealed with Hirsch ethanol resistant sealer.
So today... I managed to empty the tank easy enough but find that some of the sealer is no longer attached to the tank.
So, Strip Rite again?
Seal again?

This is a rather rare tank....
Old 10-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Fuel tank dipping & sealing opinions welcome

Read everything on this Goggle search .
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Also, read all this.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...as+tank+sealer
The problem is that unless you cut the tank open you will never be able to remove all the pieces of sealer debris and it will clog your filter time after time, mile after mile with lots of frustration along the way. In one of the treads above there is mentioned a company that will cut your tank apart, clean it and repair the cut off top.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-17-2021 at 04:57 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Kube

Jim (19Fordy), I just want to thank you for your great advice and within that advice, the wonderful links you'd provided.
Thanks to you, I no longer feel as if this tank debacle is a battle I can't win.
I had poured one gallon of acetone in the tank two days ago and sloshed it around occasionally. Just this morning I dumped it out.
YECH.
Brown liquid came out and along with it, I am figuring rust and broken down sealer.
I have also applied compressed air to the tank until no more "bits & pieces" came out.
The tank already appears MUCH better than when I'd started this process.
I will, in just moments, begin this process over again with a fresh gallon of acetone.
I am gaining a bit of confidence that I won't need to cut the top of the tank off. I can do that but am reluctant and well, I'd rather not unless absolutely necessary.

I am still "on the fence" as to whether or not I should apply a new sealer. The Caswell epoxy mentioned in the links you'd provided does seem to have wonderful reviews. But still...
Oh, I did test a bit of the sealer that I was able to pick out of tank prior to any work being done. It disintegrated within moments when surrounded by the acetone.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

For the life of me, I can't recall the name of company that specialized in gas tank coatings. They did everything from antique cars to industrial equipment. They use to advertise in Hemmings.

From what I recall, they advertised it as a "lifetime" coating. My dad got his '32 tank done by them. I'll dig around to see if I can find the company I'm thinking of.

Not much help I know, but maybe it will spur someone's memory
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
alanwoodieman

I pressure wash with degreaser, acid wash inside for a couple days turning constantly, then rinse out, neutralize with baking soda/ I do a lot of motorcycle tanks where the liner is coming off. I sand blast them after cleaning to break up crud and get out the trash, heavy rust, etc
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
cmbrucew

Mike
I remember seeing a video of a fuel tank strapped to the rear wheel of a tractor raised up and turning. Cannot remember what cleaning agent was being used. Bolts, nuts and chain will loosen up the coating.
Bruce
Old 10-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
rotorwrench

In aviation, a thinned form of what I've always referred to as Pro-Seal is used for sealing wet wing tanks. It is a rubber like material when cured. The metal would have to be very clean and free of any contaminants from corrosion to water. They don't make the stuff thin enough for a slosh type treatment so I doubt is would be a viable alternative and yes, it is very high priced. It's sprayed or brushed on but large aircraft tanks are big enough to climb into to do repairs. A thankless job that never payed any worker enough to do.

Like any form a sealer. They don't last forever. Some last longer than others, The bad thing about the pro-seal is that it doesn't come off with chemicals. It has to be scraped off.

Unless the restorer gas the equipment and skills to fabricate a new tank then we are stuck with de-rusting and sloshing in the usual way. Some tanks can be opened up and re-welded but not all of them are worth it. The Model A tanks are the worst to cut open and re-weld. The rest are easy by comparison. No one has ever reproduced them so there is not a lot of choice.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
hotcoupe

I debated for a period of time as to what to do with my new '48 Indian gas tanks. I have fecided to go naked, no sealer, but i will add some two stroke oil, fill the tank every evening, and drain and remove the tanks for long term climate controlled storage. As i understand it, the problem is that the ethanol is hydroscopic, it attracts water.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
Jacques1960

Forego the corn syrup and use unformulated / ethanol-free gas, just like you would with any 2 stroke equipment or outboard; will help greatly
Old 10-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #10
Reds34

Now, it obviously wouldn't be "period correct", but would adding a "drip leg" help with sediment? When I say drip leg, I mean just a pipe that comes straight down off the inlet (if the inlet comes off the bottom of the tank) then a tee off that with a nipple and a cap on the bottom- like in gas and LP piping.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #11
alanwoodieman

you should see the crud formed by ethanol gas, literally strips off the HD applied tank sealer, turns the carbs to green goo, ruins fuel injectors. but hey it is a HD "bike" and those guys can afford to do this after spending a big lump of money for a Harley!! I clean and blast inside about 3 tanks a month of HD bikes, mostly from ethanol laced gas and letting them sit up
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #12
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19fordy View Post
the problem is that unless you cut the tank open you will never be able to remove all the pieces of sealer debris and it will clog your filter time after time, mile after mile with lots of frustration along the way.
^^^this^^^^
Old 10-20-2021, 09:48 PM   #13
tomcarman

Our '32 3W sat dormant in the garage for 23 years with the rear end out of it. Before Dad's health began to fail he was in the process of repairing it. He'd pulled the gas tank and it sat all that time. It still had a little gas in it which after 23 years you can imagine what that turned into. At some point it had been lined with something similar looking to that black Rhino bed liner stuff and that was peeling/flaking as well. I did some research on chemical makeup of that sort and acetone was its solvent. We filled the tank with it and let it soak a good long time, then repeated the process again. Then my brother rinsed the tank and went to the sporting goods store and bought a bunch of those lead pellets, the kind you shoot out of an air rifle. He put them in the tank and shook it over and over again then dumped out the pellets. It was quite a challenge to get them all out but it worked. Of course we could only see the portion of the tank through the cap and the fuel sender hole but it came out very nice. After reinstalling the tank and filling it there was indeed a small weep. The mechanic who installed the rear end ended up resealing it but I don't know what product he used. Nonetheless it doesn't leak now and we only use ethanol free gas as generally the car sits through the winter.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 PM   #14
Roger/Sacramento

I put a bunch of sharp rocks and a couple gallons of gas in my tank. For several days a partner and I shook the tank vigorously and then emptied the tank. Did this several times until it ran clear. Then used a kit by Por 15 to coat the insides. I mounted a large filter on the frame and no problems after 10 years. There wasn't any aftermarket coating when we started.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:03 AM   #15
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=cmbrucew;2068491]Mike
I remember seeing a video of a fuel tank strapped to the rear wheel of a tractor raised up and turning. /QUOTE]

I saw that picture a hundred years ago, and I've been looking for it again ever since! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #16
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
For the life of me, I can't recall the name of company that specialized in gas tank coatings. They did everything from antique cars to industrial equipment. They use to advertise in Hemmings.

From what I recall, they advertised it as a "lifetime" coating. My dad got his '32 tank done by them. I'll dig around to see if I can find the company I'm thinking of.

Not much help I know, but maybe it will spur someone's memory

Was it Tank Renu?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Was it Tank Renu?
YES! That's it. Thank you.

Here's link to their site.

https://www.gastankrenu.com/
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #18
deuce_roadster

I used to use a big box of drywall screws as their sharp pointed ends broke all the hard crud loose while sloshing it with your favorite solvent. Acetone, MEK will cut the old stuff that was used before the ethanol was put in the gas. I shouldn't have to say this but be extremely careful when using any solvents, double eye protection and respirator, double rubber gloves etc. Kinda like the people taking care of Covid patients.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #19
cmbrucew

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I used to use a big box of drywall screws as their sharp pointed ends broke all the hard crud loose while sloshing it with your favorite solvent. Acetone, MEK will cut the old stuff that was used before the ethanol was put in the gas. I shouldn't have to say this but be extremely careful when using any solvents, double eye protection and respirator, double rubber gloves etc. Kinda like the people taking care of Covid patients.

I tried MEK in the tank of my red F1, and it came out almost as clear as it went in. 70 year old tank ethanol was dissolving the old ethyl coating.
Bought a new tank from Carpenter.
Maybe Ethanol would work as a solvent.
Bruce
Old 10-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #20
Angledrive

Years ago I used a product all Red Coat tank sealer. It worked very well. Those cars are not with me anymore so I do not know if they weathered the alcohol in the new fuel. The aircraft sealers are very good but tank has to be super clean which is very hard to do with a steel tank. Aircraft tanks are aluminum and many are part of the wing structure.
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote