Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Dirtrack49

Default Bosch Coil Confusion

I have been trying to get a 12 volt Bosch coil that is filled with epoxy. No one including Bosch themselves have an answer as to which coils and part numbers fit an epoxy filled coil. I want a 12 volt 3 ohm "epoxy" coil. How hard can that be? Bosch North America has a call into their manufacturer in Brazil to try and determine which of the many so called "Blue Coils" are actually filled with epoxy. I find it hard to believe that not only the people who make it, as well as the suppliers, do not know what they are selling.
Can anyone please tell me the part number and what supplier you bought your epoxy filled blue coil from? And, is it actually light blue vs. purple?
Thanks,

Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Bosch Coil Confusion

Sorry I can't help.

There were some posts about these fairly recently. They should be in search/archives.

Maybe someone will respond soon.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
Steves46

Unless your heart is set on a Bosch, how about a Pertronix 40kV Flamethrower Ignition Coil, Black, 3 Ohm, Epoxy Filled. P/N 40611. Mine works great with my stock distributor.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Dirtrack49

I ran the Pertronix 40611 for the last 9 months and it shorted out. Thought I would try the Bosch blue coil epoxy filled. After dealing with Bosch and some of their suppliers I might just go ahead and try another Pertronix. The thing I am not so keen about with the Pertronix is their 90 day warranty made in China product. At least Pertronix seems to know what they are selling even if they don't want to back up their product with a decent warranty.

Tom L.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
Patrick L.

https://www.busdepot.com/043905115c

Don't know about them, either coil or company.
Maybe a call to them will help.

Hers another,
https://www.kartek.com/parts/bosch-1...xy-filled.html
Old 09-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Synchro909

A little off topic but a while ago, I had a Bosch coil I wanted to use in my latest project I rang Bosch to ask what condensor I should use with it. The young guy who answered the phone had no idea what a condensor was so I knew I had a winner here! I explained that if the coil and condensor weren't matched, the points would burn. He had no idea what points were either - he only knew late model stuff that was all electronic but there is an old guy who works here but he's out of the office at the moment. I'll ask him when he gats back and ring you, he said. To my surprise, he did ring back and was amazed that this "old guy" not only knew what I was talking about but gave the answer without having to go to the computer - it was in his head.
I suspect your problem getting an answer about an epoxy filled coil might be because no one knows what you are talking about.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
A little off topic but a while ago, I had a Bosch coil I wanted to use in my latest project I rang Bosch to ask what condensor I should use with it. The young guy who answered the phone had no idea what a condensor was so I knew I had a winner here! I explained that if the coil and condensor weren't matched, the points would burn. He had no idea what points were either - he only knew late model stuff that was all electronic but there is an old guy who works here but he's out of the office at the moment. I'll ask him when he gats back and ring you, he said. To my surprise, he did ring back and was amazed that this "old guy" not only knew what I was talking about but gave the answer without having to go to the computer - it was in his head.
I suspect your problem getting an answer about an epoxy filled coil might be because no one knows what you are talking about.

Thats getting to be a problem today. Well, actually not getting to be one, it is one.
Parts guys are not what they used to be.Its hard to find a good old-timer.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
Dirtrack49

Patrick L, Thanks for the input as well as others. My problem still remains. If you look closely at what these vendors are selling, they will give part numbers that are the same but they will be different coils. Some are oil filled, others are different impedance, yet have the same part number. There are also many counterfeit coils out there. Most of the vendors state:
"Product images may differ from actual product appearance." Wonder why? Because they don't have a clue as to what they are peddling. And unfortunately, they are asking in excess of 40 to 150% of retail.
What I am looking for is verification by anyone out there that actually has a 12 volt 3 ohm Bosch coil that is epoxy filled that they are currently using on their converted 12 volt Model A? If so, can you please verify the part number and where you were able to buy it from?
Thanks again,
Tom L.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #9
redmodelt

Why do you need an epoxy filled coil? Being as it's not stock you can mount it upright.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Bosch blue coils were mounted inverted in millions of air cooled volkswagens without issue,dating back to the fifties before epoxy was used.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
Dirtrack49

I finally found what I believe to be the actual 12 volt 3 ohm made in Brazil Bosch Blue Coil that is filled with epoxy. The latest part number is 922008108374U.
Ironically, after all this trouble, I ended up buying another Pertronix 40611 Coil.
As a side note, I am thinking my last coil probably died due to not checking my points gap more often. When going through my ignition system today, I found that my points were down to .012. Reset them to .022 and should hopefully be good to go.

Tom L.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #12
Manuel

What was the old guys answer Synchro - which condensor did he recommend?
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote