Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
FordyForever

Default Phaeton hood/top saddle

Perhaps someone can help with a question about a missing top saddle for my 1929 Canadian built Phaeton. The offside saddle is missing and there is just the stud sticking out (slightly bent). Replacement saddles are a different design and require a narrower stud. I'm guessing the existing saddle is from a completely different car.
Hopefully I've attached a photo of the nearside saddle. Does anyone recognise it, so that I might be able to buy a pair for it? Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2949.jpg (47.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2952 saddle.jpg (28.1 KB, 154 views)
FordyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: Phaeton hood/top saddle

I believe that the late ('26-'27) Model T touring cars had the same part as the '28/'29 Model A. These are easily found - both bolts and saddles.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Didn't the Model T saddles have a larger mounting hole and larger diameter studs?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
DougVieyra

Possibly could be Tom. This is an area where I have a 'general' knowledge, rather than a 'specific' knowledge.

I do know that Snyder's (who carries BOTH Model T AND Model A parts) has (page T-78) a "Straight Saddle Arm" for a 1/2" hole Top Saddle (part # T-3876-B) which also is what they list (page A-190) for the '28-'29 Model A. So the question gets down to what bolt diameter and what thread size of the "Top Saddle Stud". For the '28-'29 Model A, Snyder's carries (page A-190) #A-37329-A.

If there is different diameter Stud than what Snyder's carries, I guess you would have to make your own. This is what I had to do in 1960 when there were NO parts houses. Rather than a straight bolt, mine had a 'shoulder' where the treads stopped. At this late date, I no longer remember why it was that mine had a 'shoulder', but I see that the later reproductions do not.

To help me in today's question I once again referred back to my MAFCA/MARC RESTORATION GUIDELINES . There may be something there, but I did not find much. Nothing was listed in the section on TOP (area 9), or rather I should say, I did not find anything there - it may have been there, I just did not see it. There was a reference indicating that "Holddown straps for Phaetons were optional accessories" - so it may be that (by extending that thought) the Saddle Arm and Saddle also did not come with the car, but also was an optional accessory. The GUIDELINES suggest going to area 16 - Accessories.

Area 16 (Accessories) page 16-1, under FORD AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES (authorized as 'Dealer Supplied' accessories), is listed "Top rest saddles - Standard Phaetons" . I presume that the Saddles and required mounting bolts came as a unit.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 08-08-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
ronn

I am wondering if the AR isnt different from the standard?

my early 28 Canadian built phaeton has 2 repro saddles that are just straight bars
and dont look to be correct..................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
DougVieyra

As a side note: the Top-Saddle photo posted on post #1 looks to be from a '30-'31 Deluxe Phaeton. I do not know if there might be an additional '28-'29 verses '30-'31 bolt/stud issue here; and / or a Deluxe verses Standard issue.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
JohninKuranda

I had similar situation - I had bought repo saddles that did not fit the studs. Purchased a length of stainless steel rod the correct diameter to fit the saddle, had it cut to correct length, and then got an engineers shop to thread it correctly to fit the female fitting. Worked for me.
Cheers
John
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Karl Wescott

1928-29 and 1930-31 standard top saddle was a carry-over from model t and had a 1/2" hole. I agree with DougV that the one pictured is most likely a 1930-31 Deluxe (two-door) phaeton with a 5/8" hole (We make a repro of the 1932 phaeton saddle, which is similar but shorter than the 1930-31 Deluxe).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #9
FordyForever

Thank you SO much everyone for all your posts - lots to think about! The stud is 5/8ths and the saddle looks like various ones on photos of the slightly later Deluxe Phaeton - so I guess at some point these were added, rather than finding old ones to match the date of the car. Now it should be straight forward to get either a single saddle to match, or a new pair.
If only these cars came with a notebook of all the work done on them over the last 80 odd years! Took me a while to realise the advance/retard lever works in reverse and it goes Down to retard - now she starts like a dream!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!
Old 08-13-2016, 04:53 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

How does your advance lever work in reverse?

Mine goes down to advance the timing, as do all Model A's that Ford built.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
FordyForever

Well, I dont know why, but my Model A starts easily with the advance lever DOWN and not at all, or with great difficulty, with it up.............. so I always push it down before starting, and then raise it once the engine has started.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Tom Walker

I noticed your post about the ignition lever being reversed. I wonder if somebody in the past has replaced the bell crank on your manifold the wrong way up. This would reverse the direction of movement. Dont ask me how I know this! Post a photo and it will become clear.
Cheers for now, Tom.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #13
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninKuranda View Post
I had similar situation - I had bought repo saddles that did not fit the studs. Purchased a length of stainless steel rod the correct diameter to fit the saddle, had it cut to correct length, and then got an engineers shop to thread it correctly to fit the female fitting. Worked for me.
Cheers
John
I had to do the same thing for my '30 Std phaeton. I also had to make them longer too, and I also made them out of stainless steel. The reproduction studs were not long enough to work.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
FordyForever

Default Re: Phaeton top saddle / advance lever

I still havent sorted the top saddle - but have been thinking about the advance/retard lever. Tom (Walker) you suggest it might be the bell crank being upside down. So here are some photos. Also - I wonder if the two levers, before and after the crank, have been put in each others place, if you see what I mean, because they look very similar but one is much shorter than the other?
Thanks so much for any ideas
All the best
Cags
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6371.JPG (42.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6372.JPG (45.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6373.JPG (42.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
J Franklin

Never seen that before , it is right hand drive.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #16
RUNNERBUN

Your problem with the advance and retard is that you have the rods incorrectly attached at the pivot point on top of the manifold, refer to the attached picture. Disconnect both rods and swing the little gizmo around and reattach the rods and that will reverse the direction of travel of the advance on your distributor.
You will have to remove the little gizmo and turn it upside down. The longer arm of the gizmo should be pointing to the radiator and the rod to the distributor connects to this longer arm with the little ball facing upwards, I Hope this makes sense. Welcome to the Ford Barn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4742.JPG (146.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 03-02-2017 at 04:20 AM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
FordyForever

Dear Runnerbun
That makes complete sense and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thank you so much!