Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2015, 02:35 AM   #21
waxhead

Default Re: These brakes work

And I can still lock up my 650x16 tyres with cast iron drums, with Ted's brake floater system that are mechanically actuated. Not stating that the mechanical are better or worse than hydraulics as I wouldn't know from experience, but I can lock up my tyres with my brakes mechanically actuated.

There are a lot of threads on here regarding mechanical vs hydraulic brakes. I would love to see a real test showing a comparison in braking distance. Other than the pros and cons of maintenance/hydraulic leaks, adjustment blah blah blah, if mechanical and hydraulically actuated brakes can both lock up the wheels, I don't really understand how one can be superior to the other when it comes to braking distance.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhead View Post
... if mechanical and hydraulically actuated brakes can both lock up the wheels, I don't really understand how one can be superior to the other when it comes to braking distance.
Neither can a lot of us.

If someone were to go from crappy mechanical brakes to good hydraulic brakes, they might figure that it is the hydraulic brakes that are better then all mechanical brakes, not just the crappy ones they had.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #23
JBill

I can lock up all four wheels, but have to push harder than I'd like in order to do it.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #24
updraught

I drive a 4wd and we know all about lowering tyre pressures to increase the length of the contact patch. Sometimes we go down to 10 psi or lower to get out of a tricky situation. This pretty much doubles the contact length.

I'd say there would be a reasonable difference between 35 psi and say 25 psi as to the grip you get under braking. Would be interesting to test?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #25
Patrick L.

These threads take on a life of their own don't they.
I do like the brakes on these monsters. After-all, thats what they had at the time.
I certainly prefer rods to cables.
Self energizing brakes hadn't been discovered yet and juice was just starting to come into vogue. These 2 discoveries just make life easier.

Although I will say that juice brakes on older cars that sit all winter can be a royal PITA.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote