Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
jimbo53

Cool gas tank

after having tank cleaned and boiled out is it a good idea to have the tank coated yes or no
jimbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Barry-ct

Default Re: gas tank

I vote no, as I did that and had it coated and it "cured" for a month, and ever since I have cherry red gas! I have a brand new tank that will go in after I heal enough to work on the truck. I should have bought a new tank 6 years ago. Never do that again!!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
rotorwrench

This is a point of contention among a lot of us old car lovers. It's a sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't thing. The OEM fuel tanks were what is referred to as "terne coated" which was a term related to a hot dip in molten tin/lead. This kept them from rusting quickly which there in lies the problem. A freshly de-rusted tank really needs to have some kind of coating or it will corrode right back up rather quickly. No one does terne coating that I'm aware of due to the lead. Zinc coating maybe if you have a local shop that galvanizes stuff. Bill Hirsch and others sell a fuel resistant coating that will give corrosion protection for an unknown period of time before it too starts to degrade and plug fuel filters. A person has to use something though or your filters will start plugging with rust particles pretty quick.

I would use the Bill Hirsch stuff my self at least as long as it will last and then replace the tank when it cruds back up as long as someone makes an acceptable replacement tank. Nothing lasts forever no mater how much a person would like it to.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
stangblue

Coated mine no problems in 10 yrs. Constantly looking inside for degradation of coating and finding nothing so far. I bought mine from Eastwood and followed each step. It was a day and a half process with of course time in between. Very happy with the results.

Last edited by stangblue; 12-19-2016 at 11:29 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
4t8v8

I had to replace some of the metal that has rusted through on the bottom of the tank. When I was finished I coated it with KREEM (from J. C. Whitney) to be sure any pin holes were sealed. Did this in 1985 and it is still going strong. Did my Harley tank 5 years ago with the same results. I did do the unthinkable, though. I followed the instructions to the letter.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
AnthonyG

I have a '67 442 that I had the tank cleaned and coated approx 10 years plus ago. It lasted for over 10 years until recently when I started seeing crud and rust showing up in my clear gas filter. Rather than do the process again I replaced it with a SS tank. I thought the endurance on the cleaning and coating to be worth while. 10 years plus ain't bad.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
fourtydlx

Send a message via Yahoo to fourtydlx

Do you think the alcohol has any thing to do with it 10% or more?
fourtydlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
4t8v8

Been using 10% for a few years with no bad effects.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote